Gransnet forums

Christmas

Warning……SMUG alert, Christmas prep.

(99 Posts)
Sago Thu 25-Nov-21 09:32:45

I have made dozens of mince pies, tarts, pâtés and breads and frozen them.
Today it’s more pâté and Parmesan shortbread and soup.

The gifts are all purchased and a few wrapped for posting.
My husband is in charge of cards.

I hate the shops in December and hate being under pressure.
So I have a deadline for the end of November to be sorted.

Please someone tell me I’m not a sad little control freak.

Sarnia Thu 25-Nov-21 12:38:48

I like to be organised too. I can't stand being on the last minute for anything. My Dad's Army influence on me growing up! I have bought and wrapped all the presents and those requiring posting are ready to go. I have my cards but haven't written them yet. I learned my lesson a couple of years ago when I wrote and posted early a Christmas card to a previous good neighbour and her husband only to receive a sad phone call to say she had died. Anyone having your lovely food is in for a treat.

Deedaa Thu 25-Nov-21 12:47:56

I have got the Christmas cake maturing in the pantry and if I am using the oven I put a dozen mince pies in and store them in the freezer. I've got Christmas cards ready to write (although there are less of them every year) I've bought one or two presents but I don't start serious preparations till after DD's birthday on December 2nd.

LindaPat Thu 25-Nov-21 13:07:49

Well done Sago!

I, too, like being organised, and love a list!

Our cards are bought , written, and waiting to go.

Presents ( other than for close family) are bought , wrapped, and ready to go.

We're trying, as a family , to be more clutter free and environmentally friendly, so not buying anything for the sake of it, or anything that would end up in the bin or the charity shop in a few months time.

This has eased the strain considerably, as I don't now feel obliged/want to buy " stuff" just so the recipient has a pile of presents to open. Trying to do experiences, food, gardening presents.

I've been buying bits towards the Christmas food shopping for some weeks now, saves having to buy everything last minute. My DD and DDinL now do the same!

I know some people enjoy the last minute thing, and in some cases funds deem it necessary to wait until December, we all get there in the end.

When she lived at home, my DD had a sign in her bedroom that read " If it wasn't for that last minute, I would never get anything done!"

Take care x

Granny23 Thu 25-Nov-21 13:24:58

Downsizing from Cottage to flat - moving day 3rd December. This explains/is my excuse for not having done a single thing towards Christmas. No presents bought, no food stored - zilch. Just heard yesterday that my buyers do not want my white goods, so currently desperately trying to empty and get rid of freezer + fridge, washing machine, tumble dryer and semi fitted wardrobes - all free to a good home but 'buyer to collect'. Wondering if Santa could visit and spirit them all away wink

Granny23 Thu 25-Nov-21 14:34:23

Downsizing from Cottage to flat - moving day 3rd December. This explains/is my excuse for not having done a single thing towards Christmas. No presents bought, no food stored - zilch. Just heard yesterday that my buyers do not want my white goods, so currently desperately trying to empty and get rid of freezer + fridge, washing machine, tumble dryer and semi fitted wardrobes - all free to a good home but 'buyer to collect'. Wondering if Santa could visit and spirit them all away wink

Grandmadinosaur Thu 25-Nov-21 15:27:39

Not jealous at all ?

I have bought and eaten the annual Chocolate Orange for Ds stocking.
Got a few presents but also sidetracked by grandchild number 2 arriving last week.

AGAA4 Thu 25-Nov-21 15:41:03

I have 'thought' a lot about presents but have only bought one so far.
Very envious Sago especially of all that lovely food.

Lincslass Thu 25-Nov-21 15:46:26

You’re just well organised,wishI was , it all looks very tasty.

Trisha57 Thu 25-Nov-21 16:07:22

Oh Sago, I really admire your organisation! The only time I have been prepared early was when my DD was due on 22 December (back in 1984) I had all presents bought and wrapped and cards written by the end of October! We went to my mum and dad's for Christmas Day, so that saved any mass cooking. Needless to say baby was a week late, so we were on tenterhooks all day!!

V3ra Thu 25-Nov-21 16:07:34

Just paid for our Christmas Day lunch booking at the pub, does that count?
I'm working very long days atm and not finishing until the 23rd. Really couldn't face the effort of cooking for eight people this year ?
We're catering at home on Christmas Eve and Boxing Day, though M&S and Tesco will be making most of it ?
I will manage to open my own bottle of Prosecco ??

Forsythia Thu 25-Nov-21 16:14:48

You are Very well organised but my days of cooking for big gatherings are sadly over. I dont make Christmas cake anymore as DH is the only one who eats it. What with one daughter and family abroad and other one who likes Christmas in her own home, I’m no longer the matriarch at Christmas. Still, I was for many years so time to step backwards. I have written all cards and bought the stamps yesterday, so that’s something.

Amberone Thu 25-Nov-21 18:57:10

Like MayBeMaw I admire your efficiency but enjoy the buildup to Christmas and prep won't start for me until we are in the first week of December. I have thought a bit about it, and know what pressies to buy (not many any more). We did make the Christmas cake a month ago. We'll write cards to go abroad at the beginning of December, others the following week. We don't have much freezer space, so most cooking/baking gets done close to Christmas, along with decorations, and accompanied by whatever Christmas music we feel like at the time. And who knows - maybe some snow outside the windows ?

Nannylovesshopping Thu 25-Nov-21 19:01:38

Sago thank you so much for the recipe, my family are going to love these?

lemongrove Thu 25-Nov-21 19:05:39

Beechnut

I bought a Christmas cake and have eaten it ?

Sorry....that doesn’t count as prep! ?

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 20:00:55

Very funny though! ?

I have ordered a Waitrose Christmas cake kit, due to arrive tomorrow, but I have no idea why, as I ordered all the separate ingredients (apart from marzipan) a while ago but haven't made a cake yet.

It's progress, isn't it?

Cards posted to Australia yesterday ? ??

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 20:01:29

Ps I ordered wine as well.

M0nica Thu 25-Nov-21 20:03:35

I have finished all my present shopping; main and stocking, so I can lock myself in for the next few days so that I have no need to go anywhere near a shop while this ridiculous Black Friday shindig is taking place.

My food preparation programme is on time and within budget. I am timetabled to make veg curry and winter puddings this weekend, with turkey, ham, sausagemeat etc all on order from local suppliers.

DD makes the mincepies and DGD has said she will make the Christmas biscuits for those who do not like, or cannot eat mincemeat.

Another one feeling (cautiously) smug. Anawful lot can go cockeyed in the four weeks between now and Christmas. Remember last year?

I have bought cards, written letter and printed the address labels.

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 20:15:15

It's not Advent yet.

I will start to do more about it then.

GrannyLaine Thu 25-Nov-21 20:45:44

With you on that one Calistemon.

Except........ bought each the family cats a cracker pack of Dreamies from Home Bargains today. Priorities etc.....
grin

VioletSky Thu 25-Nov-21 20:50:57

I have done most of my Christmas shopping today in early black Friday deals and will check the rest of what I want tomorrow.

It does occur to me that I have absolutely nowhere to put any of it

Coastpath Thu 25-Nov-21 21:12:32

Granny23 I completely sympathise with you. I moved (downsized to my little bungalow) on 14th December last year. After days of unpacking and cleaning I finally sat down with a sherry and a mince pie at 8pm on Christmas Eve......and the doorbell rang. New neighbours calling to say hello......so my bum only stayed on the sofa for one minute and then I was up pouring drinks and chatting until Midnight. After Christmas I slept for about a week.

Good luck with the move - I hope you have a very happy Christmas in your new home.

paddyann54 Thu 25-Nov-21 21:37:14

I usually have everything bought and wrapped by November 1st .That gives me time to organise food,we make small cakes with my GD'S for their teachers instead of bought (expensive) gifts so November is all about marzipanning and icing cakes on weekends with 3 overconfident girlies.Its always fun and they do make a great job of it.This weekend we've trees to mae from molds and leave to dry and decide what else they want on put on their already iced cakes.
Trying to keep things "normal" as Great gran is seriously ill an hospital and not expected to live ,the girls all adore her and I want life to stay as usual until it cant .

25Avalon Thu 25-Nov-21 22:34:43

“Setting too good an example is a kind of slander seldom forgiven” I think Emerson said, but I forgive you. ? My Christmas dinner, from Cooks, is in the freezer, my Godminster cheese is coming, the wine is here, the dog treats (gone soft in my old age) are on order. I’ve pickled beetroot and shallots, and made various chutneys, most presents are bought. I have the ingredients for Christmas pudding and cake and then I’m done apart from cards. Hey not so bad after all!

paddyann so sorry to hear about your mum. These things are never easy particularly not at Christmas. You take care of yourself and those lovely gc.flowers

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 23:15:50

GrannyLaine

With you on that one Calistemon.

Except........ bought each the family cats a cracker pack of Dreamies from Home Bargains today. Priorities etc.....
grin

I've been looking for presents for the dog - I know my priorities! ?

M0nica Thu 25-Nov-21 23:18:16

Mind you last Christmas teetered on the edge of disaster. It was my turn to host the family do. In October I ordered the 7.5 kilo turkey, 1.5 kilo gammon, and in early Novemeber made cake, puddings and mincemeat.

Then, of course we had a lockdown over Christmas, which reduced the party to 3 and then DH had a heart attack, which reduced the party to DD and myself.

DD does not like dried fruit, so there was only one person left to eat the cake, pudding and great heap of mince pies. As all hospital visiting had stopped we could not take DH any.

DD and I decided, no matter what to do Christmas in style and sat at the fully laid up and festive dinner table, peeping at each other over the huge turkey that occupied the table between us. On Boxing Day I cut it in half and froze half, hoping that we would be able to get together in the months after Christmas - no that didn't happen either, and DH was still very ill when he was discharged and didn't feel like eating and didn't regain his appetite for about 6 weeks.

The turkey was finally finished over the May Bank holiday.