Gransnet forums

Christmas

Warning……SMUG alert, Christmas prep.

(98 Posts)
Sago Thu 25-Nov-21 09:32:45

I have made dozens of mince pies, tarts, pâtés and breads and frozen them.
Today it’s more pâté and Parmesan shortbread and soup.

The gifts are all purchased and a few wrapped for posting.
My husband is in charge of cards.

I hate the shops in December and hate being under pressure.
So I have a deadline for the end of November to be sorted.

Please someone tell me I’m not a sad little control freak.

Smileless2012 Thu 25-Nov-21 09:41:04

Of course you're not Sago just well organised.smile.

Grandmabatty Thu 25-Nov-21 09:42:41

I would say you are a supremely organised and efficient planner! Well done. I am half way through my shopping which was derailed by the birth of my second grandson last Friday. I must get cracking now.

LauraNorderr Thu 25-Nov-21 09:45:02

Goodness Sago, everything looks wonderful. What time shall we all arrive?

henetha Thu 25-Nov-21 09:45:51

I think that's marvellous and I envy you your efficiency.

Josianne Thu 25-Nov-21 09:46:18

Well done Sago. I'm not far behind you on the present front, but need to get on with the cooking. A nut roast is next on my list.

Redhead56 Thu 25-Nov-21 09:47:54

I have got all my presents in I am stumbling over them in the bedroom. I am trying to make room in the freezer for turkey etc I think it’s nice to be organised. I won’t make my mince pies yet because I would eat them!

MayBeMaw Thu 25-Nov-21 09:49:02

You are well organised Sago - presumably you have December ring fenced for partying?
Apart from my annual recurring dream (nightmare ) that it is Christmas Morning and oops! who forgot to get a turkey, I think what builds up that Christmas feeling for me is the prep as the date gets nearer. It’s like decorating the tree too early.
One of my happiest memories is of making mince pies to the sound of Carols from Kings on Christmas Eve as DH and my parents in law arrived from the station.
(I do make sure I have all the ingredients I need in the freezer well in advance I admit but won’t start cooking or baking until Christmas week. )
Each to their own though tchsmile .

BigBertha1 Thu 25-Nov-21 09:54:23

Well done Sago my presents are all bo9ught and I will finish the wrapping today, cards written, pudding and cake made (just needs icing after more brandy insertions). I'm ready to party once I have put the decs up this weekend.

Mollygo Thu 25-Nov-21 09:55:18

Well organised Sago. My mince pies are sorted too.
Congrats on your new grandson Grandmabatty

lemongrove Thu 25-Nov-21 10:05:09

I promise not to say ( or even think so) Sago if you share them with us ( right now!)?
I have done nothing whatsoever as yet to prepare for Christmas ( oh! Tiny fib...I made the Christmas cake) but nothing else done, and won’t be, I suspect for the next week either.

Grandmabatty Thu 25-Nov-21 10:07:33

Thank you Mollygo?. He shares his birthday with my son, his uncle. I usually start Christmas prep seriously after that day and I'm a little behind.

Beechnut Thu 25-Nov-21 10:09:28

I bought a Christmas cake and have eaten it ?

DanniRae Thu 25-Nov-21 10:10:20

My mince pies are all organised.........they are on the shelves at M&S! grin

Coastpath Thu 25-Nov-21 10:47:19

HA Beechnut that's why I always do everything at the last minute. In the past I've even stooped so low as to unwrap presents bought for someone else in order to stuff my face with the chocolatey contents.

V3ra Thu 25-Nov-21 10:53:52

Beechnut

I bought a Christmas cake and have eaten it ?

My husband bought two big tubs of chocolates and I have eaten one of them ?

V3ra Thu 25-Nov-21 10:55:05

DanniRae

My mince pies are all organised.........they are on the shelves at M&S! grin

They're looking after my vegan nut roast as well ?

Aveline Thu 25-Nov-21 10:55:09

Gosh. I was thinking I might take a look for some Christmas cards this weekend. Maybe.

Yammy Thu 25-Nov-21 11:02:38

Well done Sago, I have cake, pudding and mince pies made and frozen. All but one present bought. All other food to be decided except Christmas food which is ordered for click and collect. I did book my Christmas week slot with Sainsburys this morning. I like to be organised as well and always have a note book in the lounge with an ongoing shopping list and other things to remember a hang over from teaching.wink

Mapleleaf Thu 25-Nov-21 11:03:51

Mostly all organised, apart from making mince pies - but I will do those nearer the time.

The meat is on order with the butcher. The cake and puddings are made. Most of the presents are bought, just a couple left to organise and that’ll be done in the next few days. The cards are bought.

Nothing wrapped up or written yet, but that will be done during December.

So, all in all, well on the way to completion.

Mapleleaf Thu 25-Nov-21 11:05:25

Yammy, I’m a list maker too. I agree, it stems from my working days. ?

Witzend Thu 25-Nov-21 11:10:44

??.
I’ve just finished all my Christmas cards! Dh’s - the few he has to do, probably won’t get done until about the 20th Dec, as usual, even if they have to go all the way to Oz.

I have virtually finished my present shopping, but need to, since we have a far-flung family meet up here from 7th-9th, when we swop. So need to do a lot of wrapping soon - besides blitzing the house?

Can’t make mince pies etc. in advance, I only have a little, under the fridge freezer. Stuffing and Ps in Bs is about it. Would if I could, though!

Nannylovesshopping Thu 25-Nov-21 11:14:20

Sago please would you be prepared to share your Parmesan shortbread recipe, sounds absolutely ? thank you.

Witzend Thu 25-Nov-21 11:16:36

PS, not a control freak at all!

More than once in the past I’ve been frantically wrapping presents at past midnight on Christmas Eve. I enjoy the run up so much more since I made an effort to be more organised - no more last minute panics.

Sago Thu 25-Nov-21 11:55:39

Nannylovesshopping

60gm plain flour
2/3 pinch cayenne pepper
1 pinch salt
60gm Parmesan
45gm cubed cold butter.

Put flour,salt,cayenne in a bowl with the butter and grated Parmesan.
Crumble together
Make a dough ball ( you may need a splash of milk)
Chill for 30 mins( the dough not you)
Roll to 4mm thick.
Cut(I use a champagne flute perfect size)
I freeze at this stage and bake from frozen.
Or
Place on a baking sheet and bake at 180/4 8-10 mins.
Cool on a wire rack.
Store in an airtight tin.

I top mine with homemade pesto but the possibilities are endless.