Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Markets and events

(71 Posts)
Grandmadinosaur Fri 26-Nov-21 08:44:01

What are peoples feelings regarding visiting these type of things this year with COVID still hanging over us?

This evening it is the Christmas Light switch on in our village. The last time it was held DH and I went and it was absolutely rammed. Didn’t feel comfortable at all and this was about 4 years ago. I know my son is planning to take our nearly 5 year old grandson who is obviously excited. He may ask if we want to go with them but I think I will say no thanks.

Next weekend is a Christmas market that we look forward to and would love to attend. It’s just the crowds that make me uneasy about going.
I think I know the answer is to give them a miss but on the other hand I feel we should support the traders etc who have had a difficult time. Should we go and carry on with mask wearing, distancing as much as possible?
What would you do?

Grandmadinosaur Fri 26-Nov-21 18:55:42

Chewbacca

You didn't miss anything Grandmadinosaur! Check out the reviews on TripAdvisor.

Oh sorry to hear that. I’ll have a look.

Shelflife Fri 26-Nov-21 20:45:40

I love our city's Christmas market , but will not be there this year !!

BigBertha1 Fri 26-Nov-21 22:09:17

We went into Manchester a couple of weeks ago for the Xmas market. Very few mask wearers on the train and next to none around Manchester. Xmas market in Knutsford tomorrow but the weather is horrendous here at the moment.

LtEve Sat 27-Nov-21 10:07:04

I don’t think it’s going to be any different next year and as I’m not prepared to give up going anywhere for the rest of my life , I’m carrying on as normal. I don’t expect anyone else to go anywhere they don’t want to.

Rosalyn69 Sat 27-Nov-21 10:53:19

I’d avoid any Christmas market like the plague right now. All those crowds. No thank you.

MayBeMaw Sat 27-Nov-21 11:05:55

I know it’s not the same thing, but every year before I retired in 2010, colleagues from the German department and I used to take a school trip to the Aachen Christmas Market , first weekend in Advent.
We’d travel through the night by coach, stop for breakfast round about the German/Dutch/Belgian border, park up in Aachen and “hit” the Lindt factory shop just across the car park. We would leave our boxes of incredibly reduced chocolates in the coach boot (it would always be cold, ) and walk the kids to the Market near the Cathedral. With hourly check-ins, we could let them off the leash to wander, shop, eat and generally enjoy the lovely Christmassy atmosphere.
When it got dark we’d pile back into the coach and were home around midnight.
We never had any behaviour problems, there was always a “Thank you Miss” even a “Danke” as they got out and it was a good natured event, kicking off the Christmas season.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 27-Nov-21 15:50:09

Sounds like a lovely experience for the young people, MayBeMaw, the sort they should remember all their lives.

Alioop Sun 28-Nov-21 10:47:10

Our town's Christmas switch on was last weekend and I stayed at home as it's always packed with people. One of the things I love to do, on the run up to Christmas every year, is to go to with my friends to the Belfast Christmas Market. We have a Christmas lunch and then head to the market for some mulled cider a walk around the stalls, it's a lovely day out together, but it's a definite no this year. It's so busy with people I wouldn't feel comfortable and I know I wouldn't enjoy it as much. Better to be safe than sorry.

JdotJ Sun 28-Nov-21 10:54:54

M0nica

DD and friend go to a Christmas market every year. usually somewhere in Europe. This year they decided to stay in the UK and are going to Bath. The friend is hyper nervous about these things and will be masked all the time. DD will mask indoors.

Covid is spread by aerosol, not touch. If you are vaccinated and masked, the chances of picking up the bug, especially outdoors, is minimal and of the few who do pick it up, the chances of being seriously ill are even smaller.

We cannot continue to go round terrified of everything and curtailing our lives. Take sensible precautions and then go out and enjoy yourself. Obviously if your health is already compromised, yes, you do need to be more careful, but no more than you normally would be to to avoid flu or any other winter infection.

?

leeds22 Sun 28-Nov-21 10:57:17

Pre-covid I used to wander though the York Christmas Market and never saw anything I wanted to buy. It was always very crowded and not really very enjoyable. I shall be giving it a miss this year.

4allweknow Sun 28-Nov-21 10:58:44

Been to a few Christmas markets and found them to be just like walking about town/city shopping areas ie filled with the same sellers. Unless certain to be for very local traders I wouldn't visit even without the Covid issue.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 28-Nov-21 11:09:46

Monica, I believe the Bath Market has been cancelled this year, so unfortunately your daughter's plans will be affected.

I agree with others' opinion that we can't put our 'normal' lives on hold indefinitely, but it is up to the individual to decide whether they will be happy with going to crowded seasonal events or not. Personally I have always detested crowds, nothing to do with covid.

I used to work in Bath, very close to the Xmas Market and went to it once, back in the days of BC (Before Covid). I took an afternoon off from work and went direct from the office. Never again - it was so packed it was like being a sardine in a can. So tightly packed you couldn't see anything of the stalls, and not even move your arms from being pinned down to your sides! And that was a weekday, when it would have been less crowded.

Nannina Sun 28-Nov-21 12:03:19

Not been to lights switch on since my sons were young. I find the Christmas markets full of overpriced tat and people pushing and shoving so have given them a miss for years. I suppose I might sound a bit Bah Humbug but Even before pandemic I wasn’t a fan of mass gatherings

Humbertbear Sun 28-Nov-21 12:29:44

I went to the Xmas Market at Waddesden. It was outdoor and not too busy. We wore masks and had to show our code on the app to get in. I felt safer than going to a shopping mall but didn’t even consider going abroad this year.

Gin Sun 28-Nov-21 12:30:21

I really am puzzled why people want to visit Christmas markets these days. They are crowded, all selling expensive items that are available cheaper elsewhere and to me have nothing like the magic atmosphere they originally had in Europe. There they then sold nativity scenes, original decorations and hand made items not tat and beer.

Oofy Sun 28-Nov-21 12:38:21

I wonder if the police at that market in Strasbourg had already had intelligence about a possible terrorist attack, Sago, to be that thick on the ground

Pedwards Sun 28-Nov-21 12:39:55

Can’t you do both? Ie stay away from the event if you feel uncomfortable with the crowds, but support the local businesses in other ways?

Yammy Sun 28-Nov-21 12:42:58

Gin

I really am puzzled why people want to visit Christmas markets these days. They are crowded, all selling expensive items that are available cheaper elsewhere and to me have nothing like the magic atmosphere they originally had in Europe. There they then sold nativity scenes, original decorations and hand made items not tat and beer.

We found this in both York and Lincoln as the years went on. Even the one in the lakes at Keswick was a scrum full of nothing you wanted.
With this new variant, the markets or anywhere crowded will be off the list.

TiggyW Sun 28-Nov-21 13:02:28

We visited the Christmas market at Askham Hall near Penrith (2018?) - much better than the big markets. Most of the stalls had local produce and crafts and the lamb tagine, cooked in the hotel, was delicious. I’m not sure whether it will be held this year though.
It wasn’t cheap, but it was good to support the local area.
We’ll support our village Christmas market for the same reason (with masks, of course). ?

grandtanteJE65 Sun 28-Nov-21 13:29:42

If the Christmas markets are outdoor events, then I would try to choose a time of day where they are not to crowded and wear a mask, if I wanted to go for a while.

Same thing really applies to going to see the Christmas lights anywhere too.

Flakesdayout Sun 28-Nov-21 13:36:11

Personally speaking I will be keeping away from all markets etc. I always have and will continue to wear a mask, keep my distance, and with the latest news on the new Covid variant will hope everyone will take this seriously.

Harmonypuss Sun 28-Nov-21 14:56:21

Personally, from a proximity standpoint, I have absolutely no issues with attending any of the markets, events etc anyone has mentioned up-thtread, despite having been considered to be CV to covid but I won't be attending any because I can't stand the whole xmas palaver. Give me a good concert or party and I'll be there without a second thought.
I know some people, even those who are not CV/CEV or have family who are, who have had at least 2 covid vaccinations (even 3) and are still panicking about covid. We've been told it'll be around for years and that we'll need booster vaccines each year (just like we do for the flu) and that we now just have to live with it but whilst there are still people panicking about it we'll never be able to just live our lives.

Millie22 Sun 28-Nov-21 15:18:28

We have a market in Nottingham this year but with fewer stalls and lots more foodie areas. Last year's Christmas market only lasted one day as far too many people went and it was total chaos. I've been to Lincoln Christmas market and it was like being on a tube train. Packed.

JaneJudge Sun 28-Nov-21 15:20:57

I always feel like someone is going to pinch my handbag at the Birmingham one. It really is rammed full of people

Kalu Sun 28-Nov-21 15:21:06

Wild horses couldn’t drag me to any crowded venue, nothing to do with Covid but the thought of being jam packed, trying to shop in the freezing cold, wrapped up like the Michelin man, isn’t something that appeals to me.

One exception is the flower market in Amsterdam, a favourite place I make a beeline for whenever we visit the Netherlands. love it.