Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Markets and events

(71 Posts)
Grandmadinosaur Fri 26-Nov-21 08:44:01

What are peoples feelings regarding visiting these type of things this year with COVID still hanging over us?

This evening it is the Christmas Light switch on in our village. The last time it was held DH and I went and it was absolutely rammed. Didn’t feel comfortable at all and this was about 4 years ago. I know my son is planning to take our nearly 5 year old grandson who is obviously excited. He may ask if we want to go with them but I think I will say no thanks.

Next weekend is a Christmas market that we look forward to and would love to attend. It’s just the crowds that make me uneasy about going.
I think I know the answer is to give them a miss but on the other hand I feel we should support the traders etc who have had a difficult time. Should we go and carry on with mask wearing, distancing as much as possible?
What would you do?

songstress60 Sun 28-Nov-21 15:29:09

I am carrying on as normal since I have been vaccinated, and that's what everyone else should be doing!! Mental health is a big problem now because of all the lockdowns. We can't be frightened of this forever. We have the vaccine. Let's treat it like the flu.

threexnanny Sun 28-Nov-21 15:38:50

I had considered going to the Bath one this year, but as someone else has said, it has been cancelled in favour of a virtual one instead.

aonk Sun 28-Nov-21 15:57:26

I have no interest in Christmas markets but feel it’s time for us to go to the events we enjoy. By all means wear a mask and try to go at the quietest possible time but we won’t be free of covid for a long time and may end up regretting so many missed opportunities.

Elvis58 Sun 28-Nov-21 16:19:42

Already been to York christmas market.2 weeks time Beverleys Christmas festival will be going and to the Christmas tree festival and the Carol concert both in the Minster.
I will also attend the Christmas tree lighting up and carol concert in my village.
Noone or anybody is ruining my Christmas this year,Thank you! Especially that idiot supposedly in charge!

Bijou Sun 28-Nov-21 17:13:54

I hate crowds but the only Christmas market i went to once was in Aachen. My daughter in law used to live in Bath and only went to the market once and said never again.

Keeper1 Sun 28-Nov-21 20:03:04

I live near Lincoln and have never been to the Christmas market. I almost went one year until I heard that they had introduced a one way system for pedestrians way too many people for me even pre Covid. I have since found out one regular trader repackages mulled wine and sells it on at a very inflated price !

Smurf44 Sun 28-Nov-21 20:28:25

Keeper1 - I live about 20 miles from Lincoln and have never been to a Christmas market there either. I know friends who have attended and said it was sooo crowded it was almost impossible to see anything on the stalls. People simply had to ‘go with the flow’ and were mainly herded along in the middle of the crowds with no chance to buy anything.
I have been known to attend some lesser Christmas markets in local towns and have enjoyed them, but rarely find anything I need to buy except some local produce which I could probably purchase in a local shop.
I too hate very crowded places and certainly wouldn’t attend any such places this year due to Covid, especially the new Omicrom variant.

henetha Sun 28-Nov-21 23:26:03

With 3 jabs I feel reasonably safe, especially outdoors. The Exeter Christmas market by the cathedral is lovely , so unless this new variant spreads rapidly I hope to go this week.

Loobs Mon 29-Nov-21 05:58:20

I have just spent the weekend in Bremen, Germany. Went to two Christmas markets as well as attending the Sunday morning service at Bremen cathedral. The markets were busy but nowhere near rammed and you had to register with security, show your covid pass (they were happy to accept the NHS one) then you got a wrist band to show at any stalls where you wanted food. With my husband and two adult daughters, we have had a wonderful time. Everyone masked unless eating, in the markets, on the trams, in the shops. We felt very safe and fully intend to do the same next year.

M0nica Mon 29-Nov-21 06:46:44

You do not have to spend money to enjoy a Christmas market. When we went to Cologne a couple of years ago. We visited most of the fairs, enjoyed the atmosphere and practiced my German.

I bought only one small item to take home, but drank Gluhwein, ate street food, went to an art exhibition, the cathedral, and associated museum, enjoyed the train ride there and back and stayed in a wonderful hotel, where our room was more akin to a suite than a room.

There can be so much more to a Christmas Fair than buying stuff.

justwokeup Mon 29-Nov-21 07:23:51

We've just been midweek to the Chatsworth festivities, lovely stroll around the house looking at amazing decorations (with masks), busy but not crowded Christmas market - except that so many people brought dogs, why would they do that? - and a wander around the gardens at dusk looking at Christmas lights. Lots of opportunities to chat and have quite a lot of exercise. It seems that most posters have said they would avoid markets this year if they would avoid them anyway pre-covid, and those who enjoy them would go anyway.

silverlining48 Mon 29-Nov-21 08:09:51

I have been to many Christmas markets in Germany through the years, they are really lovely with so many lights, music, pop up cafes and bars; a happy relaxed atmosphere, different to those we have visited here in the UK
I have never been a fan of crowded places but can’t recall ever feeling uncomfortable.
Would avoid weekends though if possible and looking forward to returning sometime.

Pantglas2 Mon 29-Nov-21 08:49:29

Gosh, reading all these posts has me wondering if we should bother with the one at York next week?

We’ll be on a midweek break and had hoped for dry weather so we could enjoy pootling around the stalls - sounds as if it’ll be horrendously packed! Is there a best time to go?

silverlining48 Mon 29-Nov-21 09:08:37

I wonder if the difference is that there are many more markets in Germany, most towns even villages have their own, all very local which is why they are not generally as overcrowded as ours.
I live in the south east and People from here go up to Lincoln meaning an overnight stay which may be why they are all so crowded. Just not enough markets !
Pantglas if you are already in zYork mid week it could be fine.

Loobs Mon 29-Nov-21 09:55:07

Another difference in Germany is that the masks have to be FFP2 which are much more robust and seem more efficient than the ones we normally use in the UK

M0nica Mon 29-Nov-21 09:56:23

Do not miss York Pantglas. DS and family live there and it is so good even the locals go to it.

The big crowds are at the weekend. It will be quieter mid-week.

Yammy Mon 29-Nov-21 11:22:34

TiggyW

We visited the Christmas market at Askham Hall near Penrith (2018?) - much better than the big markets. Most of the stalls had local produce and crafts and the lamb tagine, cooked in the hotel, was delicious. I’m not sure whether it will be held this year though.
It wasn’t cheap, but it was good to support the local area.
We’ll support our village Christmas market for the same reason (with masks, of course). ?

I would have put this on my list TwiggyW we live a short way away. Our Neighbour went I think in 2020 and said it was heaving. They have got a Michelin Star now so are very popular all over the country for weekend breaks.

Pantglas2 Mon 29-Nov-21 11:29:36

Thanks Silverlining and Monica.

So looking forward to York as it’s 30 years since we were there caravanning and we’ve gone all soft in our old age as we’ve booked a Premier inn!

Witzend Mon 29-Nov-21 11:37:32

There’s one in our local town. Took Gdcs who were staying yesterday, with son in law and dd2 who’d also come round -dd1 had a seriously stressful deadline and was trying to work, so taking them all (6, 5, nearly 2) out was highly desirable.

We hadn’t gone for the market - more for the carousel that I knew would be in the marketplace - but it was absolutely packed, ditto John Lewis, where dd2 and I took Gdcs to buy a decoration. I’ve honestly never seen the place so busy!

However there was a haven of peace in the town centre church cafe, where we escaped to for a while. Where I had also bought Gdcs a decoration each from their Christmas card and ‘bits’ shop - and within barely 15 minutes the two younger had dropped and broken their (ceramic) ones - and only minutes after that, the string of the eldest’s glass one broke, and it smashed on the stone floor! She was distraught.
Son in law borrowed a dustpan and brush from the cafe to clear it up.
The John Lewis ones I bought them afterwards were strictly unbreakable!

AGAA4 Mon 29-Nov-21 11:46:06

I went to a Christmas market in Manchester a few years ago. It was freezing and packed and you could see people's breath on the air. Didn't worry me then but I think with covid about I would feel uncomfortable.