Gransnet forums

Christmas

.Christmas eve boxes? Really ?

(166 Posts)
Tusue Sat 11-Dec-21 13:41:39

I think a parents and grandparents are under enough pressure both emotionally and financially at Christmas but now everyone seems to be buying into this strange Christmas Eve box business?.
I honestly don’t get it !!!
I know some folk just buy matching pyjamas etc but the boxes I’ve seen are big and are meant to hold more than Jim jams.
I’m afraid I sound like the grinch but does anyone really need an extra present .
I remember going to bed on Christmas Eve just excited for what might be waiting for me the next day (dreamt of a tiny tears doll) now parents seem to be happily falling into another trap of buying more and more .
Sorry but I think its

Sashabel Sat 11-Dec-21 13:45:57

I couldn't agree more, Tusue. We are allowing ourselves to be hearded like a flock of sheep into all this American rubbish. I, for one, wont be falling into this con

EllanVannin Sat 11-Dec-21 13:47:11

Just new jim-jams in this family.

AGAA4 Sat 11-Dec-21 13:49:51

I know a German lady who has gift opening on Christmas Eve but no presents the next day.
Absolutely no need for two lots of presents. The pressure on parents is hard enough. Silly idea.

Galaxy Sat 11-Dec-21 13:53:11

We did it, pyjamas, new mug, and hot chocolate. And before Netflix existed, a DVD to watch together. When they believed in Santa the reindeer dust was in there too. I think people should do what makes them happy (within reason grin)

Auntieflo Sat 11-Dec-21 14:07:02

DS2 parents-in-law do this.
I think it is over the top, but if it pleases them, so be it.
I'm afraid we don't and never will.
Perhaps we are mean, but I don't think so

Georgesgran Sat 11-Dec-21 14:09:38

I’m with Galaxy on this. We didn’t, but both DDs are starting this - just simple things though. Granted some parents will go OTT - but we can all remember the child who got a new bike every year?? Seems harmless, unless it gets out of hand.

DerbyshireLass Sat 11-Dec-21 14:15:15

We did it, new slippers, Jim-jams, maybe dressing gowns if they had grown, a new film on video or dvd, some nice treats to eat.

Dickens Sat 11-Dec-21 14:32:09

AGAA4

I know a German lady who has gift opening on Christmas Eve but no presents the next day.
Absolutely no need for two lots of presents. The pressure on parents is hard enough. Silly idea.

... presents on Christmas Eve is a tradition in some countries.

They have the same tradition in Norway and Sweden. Usually after dinner.

... just when the kids are all kranky and tired and won't eat their dinner because they're too excited, as well! grin

Scentia Sat 11-Dec-21 15:13:28

My DD is doing this for her two and her nephew as they are spending Christmas Eve together. In there is new PJ’s , slippers, dressing gowns (all matching) treats and a hot chocolate bomb thing.
It is up to them, no one is insisting anyone does it, if it makes them happy then why would it be a problem to anyone else.

Blondiescot Sat 11-Dec-21 15:39:22

I don't think it's a 'problem' to anyone, but that doesn't mean anyone who disagrees with the concept can't have an opinion on them.

rafichagran Sat 11-Dec-21 15:54:28

I used to be very much against this, but my daughter does it, he has new pyjamas,slippers and hot chocolate. They will then watch a film.
I am bow coming round to this, he grows so quickly so the pyjamas and slippers are what she would spend anyway. The hot chocolate and film Costa nothing. There will always be people who go OTT.

rafichagran Sat 11-Dec-21 15:55:07

Cost not Costa.

Zoejory Sat 11-Dec-21 15:59:32

Christmas pyjamas for my youngest daughter and that's it. Grandchildren don't get anything from us until the big day.

Shandy57 Sat 11-Dec-21 16:00:49

I think some shops are responding to this new trend. I am on an Extreme Couponing site and several supermarkets have reduced their pyjamas this week.

tickingbird Sat 11-Dec-21 16:02:18

I always bought mine new pyjamas for Christmas Eve and do the same for my grandsons. No need for Christmas Eve boxes.

HowVeryDareYou Sat 11-Dec-21 16:21:15

Is it an American idea? We don't do it, anyway. Most children these days have such a lot of treats, all year round, without even more on Christmas Eve.

polyester57 Sat 11-Dec-21 16:22:56

Many cultures have the Christmas Eve tradition, including mine. The children are not cranky nor do they refuse to eat Dickens. We sit down to dinner at around 6 pm or even earlier, the tradition is to fast or at least not eat v. much during the day, so when evening comes, everyone is hungry. Dinner consists of soup, then deep fried fish and a potato salad. After dinner, someone takes the children outside to look out for Baby Jesus bringing the presents, but alas, they always just miss him, because suddenly a bell rings, so they rush back in and a pile of presents seems to have materialized under the tree. It´s every bit as magical as finding your presents in the morning.

Parsley3 Sat 11-Dec-21 16:29:35

That sounds lovely, polyester. We have our Christmas family traditions too.
As for Christmas Eve boxes, why not? Pyjamas and hot chocolate are hardly the work of the devil.

Maya1 Sat 11-Dec-21 16:35:00

I also don't think it's a problem if parents or grandparents want to do this. We didn't do this for our son and won't be doing it for our granddaughter though.
It isn't an American thing that l know of and I'm married to one. I can't say for certain though as my husband came from an extremely poor background and was lucky to have something to eat on Christmas day.

Summerlove Sat 11-Dec-21 16:37:52

HowVeryDareYou

Is it an American idea? We don't do it, anyway. Most children these days have such a lot of treats, all year round, without even more on Christmas Eve.

What does it matter where the idea came from?

Kali2 Sat 11-Dec-21 16:42:47

More consumerism, more that will end up in landfill... why?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 11-Dec-21 16:45:02

I think it’s a lovely idea, new pj’s, hot chocolate and a Christmas film. Making magical memories.

Kali2 Sat 11-Dec-21 16:47:20

Weren't you just talking about reducing carbon footprint.

Lovely memories are not about more and more presents, packaging, etc ... If it is, then I think it is very sad.

Chewbacca Sat 11-Dec-21 16:47:20

Why will pyjamas and hot chocolate end up in land fill kali2? Won't the pyjamas get worn and the hot chocolate drunk? confused