Gransnet forums

Christmas

Winter wishes

(23 Posts)
Grandmadinosaur Sat 18-Dec-21 11:32:55

Me too Kim

Kim19 Sat 18-Dec-21 10:02:43

My only Winter wish is that it was Summer.

Nansnet Sat 18-Dec-21 07:08:05

To me, Christmas is Christmas, and I like to wish people a 'Happy Christmas' in my cards. I wouldn't send a traditional Christmas card to someone of a different religion, but maybe a simple 'winter greetings' card if I felt it appropriate, so I guess they do have their uses.

Many years ago we lived in a Muslim country and we received an actual Christmas card and gift from our Muslim neighbours, which we thought was very nice of them. We reciprocated when they invited us into their home during one of their religious celebrations.

I think it's nice that there are appropriate cards we can give to others who don't celebrate Christmas as the religious holiday, but still may enjoy the 'Holiday Season'. When I was working, I had colleagues and acquaintances who were Muslim, Hindu, Sikh, Jewish, and we always made a point of having a little celebration for each others important festivals/celebrations. As someone else said, just go with the flow!

annodomini Fri 17-Dec-21 22:05:35

I somehow managed to pick up a pack of what I thought were Christmas cards but were blank inside. I had no qualms about wishing my friends a Happy Christmas, even though I am a humanist. Since I could speak and understand language, I've called it Christmas. why give up the habit of 80 years?

M0nica Fri 17-Dec-21 20:58:38

Cards and labels have said 'Seasons Greetings' as far back as I can remember, so why someone now thinks they are being clever or sensitive by saying 'winter wishes' I do not know

But what do you do if you are sending cards to Australia or New Zealand where it is summer)? Do we need cards saying 'Summer wishe' so as not to upset them by getting the season wrong and not being sensitive to the fact that when we have winter they have summer.

Grandmadinosaur Fri 17-Dec-21 20:22:30

GillT57

Galaxy

My gift tags say sparkle. I am not taking it literally.

My gift tags say 'bringing Christmas cheer". I shall be taking that literally ?

Love it GillT57

Exactly * Grandmattie*

lemongrove Fri 17-Dec-21 20:22:12

It must be annoying to buy Christmas cards and find Winter Wishes inside.
I usually burrow into an unopened box of cards to see what’s written inside ( I don't want Winter Wishes, or Love And Hugs or This Magical Time Of Year) just ‘Wishing You A Happy Christmas And New Year’ will do fine.

GillT57 Fri 17-Dec-21 20:07:43

Galaxy

My gift tags say 'bringing Christmas cheer". I shall be taking that literally ?

Galaxy Fri 17-Dec-21 19:17:11

BBbevan Fri 17-Dec-21 19:14:55

I send our Muslim friends a Christmas card. They send us an Eid card. Makes life interesting .?

GillT57 Fri 17-Dec-21 18:54:31

Nobody is denying Christmas, nobody is banning it, nobody is offended by it. These cards have been around for years to be given to friends who do not celebrate the birth of Christ but acknowledge the holiday. I used to buy them for Jewish school friends 50 years ago! Let it go, let it go!!!

grandMattie Fri 17-Dec-21 18:53:00

Thank you, Fleur. Christmas is a religious festival. If atheists want to join in, fine - but please don’t debase it by calling it anything else.

Fleur20 Fri 17-Dec-21 18:43:24

I refuse to deny Christmas.
I am not religious but respect the people who do celebrate it as a religious festival. Christmas for me is coming together of family and friends, an acknowledgement of ties and affection.
I do not celebrate winter wishes... holiday celebrations etc...

BlueBelle Fri 17-Dec-21 15:22:59

I ll second that shrub

Shrub Fri 17-Dec-21 14:03:18

I just wish winter was over!

Blossoming Fri 17-Dec-21 13:21:16

EV you have had so many challenges. I really hope things improve for your family soon. I love reading your Good Mornings, you manage to sound so upbeat and find pleasure in small things despite the things you’re coping with.

I’m not sure what ‘Winter Wishes’ might be. Should we wish for snow, or lots of fat robins, or a blazing log fire?

EllanVannin Fri 17-Dec-21 12:11:42

The way I've felt this past couple of years I feel like giving Christmas a miss altogether.

MayBeMaw Fri 17-Dec-21 12:05:30

Kali2

Honestly, just don't 'over' think it and go with the flow.

“Go with the flow” good advice - lateral flow of course! tchgrin

Kali2 Fri 17-Dec-21 12:02:30

Honestly, just don't 'over' think it and go with the flow.

Oldwoman70 Fri 17-Dec-21 11:59:29

I have noticed over the past few years that there are less and less Christmas cards which show the nativity scene.

AGAA4 Fri 17-Dec-21 11:55:47

I bought some boxed cards with a winter scene. When I opened them they all had "winter wishes" written inside.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 17-Dec-21 11:47:51

I call it Christmas, I would imagine that anyone who doesn’t call it Christmas wouldn’t want a Christmas gift anyway.

Grandmadinosaur Fri 17-Dec-21 11:26:02

I’ve just been wrapping some presents. As I did so I noticed the gift tags bought to match the wrapping paper said Winter wishes on them. If I was buying them so as not to offend anyone why would I buy them along with Christmas gift wrap? Is it me?