Gransnet forums

Christmas

Eating “healthily” over Christmas

(86 Posts)
MayBeMaw Mon 20-Dec-21 09:46:03

OK an oxymoron in itself but what would your reaction be to this?
Healthier options
By eschewing shop-bought snacks you’ll go a long way to swerving the expanding waistline. Healthier options include smoked salmon, olives, pickles and fresh fruit. Try these simple, healthy canapé ideas with a Yuletide twist
<Wait for it…….>
Roasted sprouts on sticks with Parmesan
Toss sprouts in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven on a baking tray at 200C (fan) for 25 minutes or until tender when poked with a sharp knife. Once roasted, place on a cocktail stick with a little cube of Parmesan
????????????????????????.

CanadianGran Sun 30-Oct-22 05:24:08

hmmm, I'll stick with chocolates and shortbread.

My DH does catch and smoke his own salmon, so a small taste of that on a cracker. I only like a little bit, I find it a strong taste. But he does get raves about his recipe.

He came home from a hunting/fishing trip a few weeks ago with some nice trout, so I have asked him to smoke a few of them. I'll report back later in the year! He usually does his smoking in November when it is cold enough to smoke the fish slowly.

Witzend Sat 29-Oct-22 23:28:18

cc

I suppose that the most important thing about Christmas Day food is that even the non-cooks amongst us do cook at least the main meal from scratch. Poultry is a healthy food and we do eat vegetables with it. No so sure about the mince pies, Christmas Pud and cream or brandy butter, but they're so rich that you can't eat a huge amount!
None of us like sprouts, but we substitute leeks, roasted shallots/parsnips/carrots and my DH's favourite: frozen peas!

I remember a guest at someone else’s house one Christmas, saying she wouldn’t have any Christmas pudding, thanks, she didn’t like it - she just had brandy butter and cream!

Callistemon21 Sat 29-Oct-22 23:20:33

I bought the first lot of sprouts for ages today.

Is it too soon to start them boiling?

IrishDancing Sat 29-Oct-22 22:55:28

I’m not a sprout fan but the tradition in our family is that we have to eat one each on Christmas Day - nobody minds. But DH loves them so I’m grateful for some new ideas.

nadateturbe Sat 29-Oct-22 07:55:47

I like sprouts and parmesan but cold sprouts with a cube of parmesan sounds yuk!

My diet won't change much over Christmas. I might have a chocolate or two.

teabagwoman Sat 29-Oct-22 07:26:48

Karmalady, I know exactly what you mean about ‘mouth hunger’ especially in the long days after Christmas. My plan is to buy myself some trays that I can freeze in small portions. Hopefully I can ‘forget’ that they’re there and treat myself occasionally in the dreary months to come.

karmalady Sat 29-Oct-22 07:04:13

I am resolved, I tell you resolved, not to buy any nibbles or eating treats this year. I did last year and ended up eating all of them, consolation eating as the christmas holiday is long and then there is the cold period after that and a lot of solo time

I have one small box of booja booja and a small pack of chocolate nuts and that is it. It took me two years to lose weight, it was not easy to avoid that awful `mouth hunger` and I failed over christmas. I became like a runaway train and it has taken me months to lose the fat which went on so easily

So sprouts it is, even covered in chocolate, yes I have two pieces of 100% chocolate every day. I can use my chocolate allowance to cover sprouts. That would definitely help the craving to nibble

AussieGran59 Sat 29-Oct-22 06:37:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 25-Sep-22 17:38:22

"Healthier options include smoked salmon, olives, pickles and fresh fruit."

Indeed? Healthier than what, exactly and for whom or what. Certainly not my housekeeping purse - the mere thought of smoked salmon makes me shudder with financial dread and fresh fruit in December?

Do they think we are made of money? Rhetorical queston! Obviously, they do.

Nothing short of imminent death of starvation will make me eat brussel sprouts with or without parmesan, or anything else you might try to disguise their disgusting taste and texture with.

And no, if we can still afford food, come Christmas 2022, we will not bother about eating healthily, we have the following 11 months and 3 weeks to do that in.

ElaineI Fri 23-Sep-22 21:20:29

Urmstongran

I adore sprout cooked till just right with a knob of best butter and some white pepper. I think they and cauliflower are my favourite veg. And carrots & swedes.

Oh and garden peas. So cheery and full of vitamins.

But by ‘eck ... it’s Christmas ‼️
Time for chocolate. Bailey’s. Cake. Mince pies!

Oh my word Urmstongran, you've just reminded me we didn't drink last Christmas Bailey's!!! Just gone to fetch it ?

Aldom Fri 23-Sep-22 14:29:51

Just seen this resurrected thread. I've noticed sprouts in the supermarket recently. This thread has made my mouth water. So off I go to buy sprouts to roast in my airfrier grin

Fleurpepper Fri 23-Sep-22 14:22:31

Just don't want to see the 'C' word until November!

MawtheMerrier Fri 23-Sep-22 14:19:12

[sigh]

MawtheMerrier Fri 23-Sep-22 14:18:43

It was ironic [digh]

AreWeThereYet Fri 23-Sep-22 14:15:01

I love sprouts, I roast them in my airfryer with some balsamic and parmesan. Lovely and crispy. Wouldn't want them on sticks though. At Christmas or any other time.

MawtheMerrier Fri 23-Sep-22 13:12:38

Nooooooooooo!
Too early for the C word!
PS the thread was ironic

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 23-Sep-22 12:50:45

Healthy eating at Christmas?

The main thing I want to avoid is indigestion because I thought I was going to explode one year as I overdid it so much. I find it helps to sadly decline anything with pastry, so no mince pies or cheese straws.

I don't like sprouts. I've heard them referred to as 'devil's testicles'. grin

Keeper1 Fri 23-Sep-22 10:49:26

Just an aside but do think it is too early to put my sprouts on now for Christmas Day? grin

Nannan2 Sun 18-Sep-22 12:03:49

Calistamon- i have a christmas jumper with that on..?i love sprouts.anytime.one of my dd's does and her dd too.But none of the others in family ? I might try the sprout & parmesan thing.?

Georgesgran Wed 27-Jul-22 11:29:30

That’s reminds me - must get mine on to cook. Usually start 1st August, so they’ll be ready for the big day!

Actually, I love them, especially cold leftovers.

henetha Wed 27-Jul-22 11:25:44

Back to sprouts. I love them and can eat them anytime, in spite of the little wind problem. I like just a bit of butter and pepper on them.

Mamissimo Wed 27-Jul-22 10:57:32

Reported

honcharenkoyevhen07 Wed 27-Jul-22 10:55:16

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

M0nica Wed 22-Dec-21 18:01:31

The sprouts are probably made from a mash of oats and grass, on the basis that if it is round and green you can kid yourself it is a real sprout.

The real sprouts are being used to make barrage balloons.

Ethelwashere1 Wed 22-Dec-21 12:45:36

As someone with zero self discipline, Christmas is very bad for me. I can eat well on the 2 days but im not able to go back to sensible eating after boxing day. I just cannot throw away boxes of bicuits , boxes of chocs, tins of meat, crisps etc that i buy in case i have a visitor. I love baking but hate cooking meals, prepping veg is soo boring so i pick on a crisp sarnie with pickles etc. No way can i eat healthily at christmas