Gransnet forums

Christmas

Eating “healthily” over Christmas

(85 Posts)
MayBeMaw Mon 20-Dec-21 09:46:03

OK an oxymoron in itself but what would your reaction be to this?
Healthier options
By eschewing shop-bought snacks you’ll go a long way to swerving the expanding waistline. Healthier options include smoked salmon, olives, pickles and fresh fruit. Try these simple, healthy canapé ideas with a Yuletide twist
<Wait for it…….>
Roasted sprouts on sticks with Parmesan
Toss sprouts in a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roast in the oven on a baking tray at 200C (fan) for 25 minutes or until tender when poked with a sharp knife. Once roasted, place on a cocktail stick with a little cube of Parmesan
????????????????????????.

Peasblossom Mon 20-Dec-21 09:48:15

???

Having said that, I followed a recipe for sprouts in Marmite a couple of years ago and they were so good I did eat them cold as a snack?

halfpint1 Mon 20-Dec-21 09:49:24

Thank you for that ,made me laugh out loud

paddyann54 Mon 20-Dec-21 10:00:03

I always make loads of sprouts my family will happily eat them cold and pick at them when in the kitchen.I have a couple of bags of frozen sprouts for that reason....not just for christmas.

M0nica Mon 20-Dec-21 10:01:56

As someone who loves sprouts or, indeed, any member of the brassica family - especially with cheese. Yum Yum.

Calistemon Mon 20-Dec-21 10:05:14

A sprout is for life, not just for Christmas

It all sounds rather Abigail's Party ?

missingmarietta Mon 20-Dec-21 10:06:45

I love sprouts [and choose smaller, fresh ones which I cook for a short time until just done]...and love cheese too so this sounds fine to me.

MiniMoon Mon 20-Dec-21 10:24:15

Ooh yuk!!!

I'm not a lover of sprouts and the combination with parmesan cheese sound revolting.

Calendargirl Mon 20-Dec-21 10:35:12

At the risk of mentioning ‘the good old days’, overeating at Christmas didn’t seem to be such a thing years ago. Maybe because Christmas was the time for treats, chocolates, nuts, fruit, extra puddings, cakes, baking, to say nothing of Christmas dinner. And alcohol was probably enjoyed, but not in the quantities some drink it now.

And that was it. A couple of days of over indulgence maybe, then back to normal eating up the leftovers.

The shops didn’t have such tempting arrays of stuff back then, just simpler, home made delights.

You can only eat so much.

M0nica Mon 20-Dec-21 10:49:28

I decide, quite some time ago, to concentrate on the best quality Christmas lunch we could afford and not bother with sweets, nibbles, nuts, dates or any of the fripperies. if any one wants those, they have to bring their own.

On Christmas day, apart from Christmas lunch, I will eat nothing else all day. The rest of the time I will be chatting, reading, watching DVDs ar going for a walk.

Pittcity Mon 20-Dec-21 10:52:48

I love sprouts!
That said I am forgetting about healthy eating until New Year as life's too short. We don't usually have treats in the house but I'm off to the shops to break that habit.

Witzend Tue 21-Dec-21 09:46:18

We like sprouts, but I’d never serve them as canapés!
Smoked salmon, OTOH…..

Urmstongran Tue 21-Dec-21 09:50:05

I adore sprout cooked till just right with a knob of best butter and some white pepper. I think they and cauliflower are my favourite veg. And carrots & swedes.

Oh and garden peas. So cheery and full of vitamins.

But by ‘eck ... it’s Christmas ‼️
Time for chocolate. Bailey’s. Cake. Mince pies!

Esspee Tue 21-Dec-21 09:53:43

I love savoury snacks so fine by me. Healthy can be yummy too.

BigBertha1 Tue 21-Dec-21 09:57:27

Spouts (small ones) gently cooked served on a roast dinner is my limit of endurance. as for healthy eating we have lots of veg and fruit normally but also nuts, chocolate and grape juice at Christmas. However, I have booked an appointment with the Slimming World lady for 28th December at 9.30 am - I really need to do this and hopefully it will help my back and joints and the golf with a bit of luck.

kittylester Tue 21-Dec-21 09:59:27

Calistemon

Took the words right out of my mouth!!!

Calistemon Tue 21-Dec-21 10:07:00

I remember when a colleague and I were working late very many years ago and we used to have a snack to keep us going eg tea and toast.
One evening she went off to prepare some supper and brought in a dish of lightly boiled sprouts and butter!

Aldom Tue 21-Dec-21 10:19:34

Sprouts and Parmesan sounds good to me. Love fresh sprouts and look forward to them in season. They are not the same vegetable when frozen.

grandMattie Tue 21-Dec-21 10:49:12

I like sprouts, but with cheese? ??? thanks for the laugh!
I do like finely sliced sprouts in mixed salads too, delicious.

Urmstongran Tue 21-Dec-21 10:53:56

kittylester

Calistemon

Took the words right out of my mouth!!!

❤️ this. ??

cc Tue 21-Dec-21 11:04:39

I suppose that the most important thing about Christmas Day food is that even the non-cooks amongst us do cook at least the main meal from scratch. Poultry is a healthy food and we do eat vegetables with it. No so sure about the mince pies, Christmas Pud and cream or brandy butter, but they're so rich that you can't eat a huge amount!
None of us like sprouts, but we substitute leeks, roasted shallots/parsnips/carrots and my DH's favourite: frozen peas!

Trisha57 Tue 21-Dec-21 11:09:23

I don't know where I saw the recipe, but at Christmas I lightly boil the sprouts, then halve them and stir fry with smoked bacon and chestnuts. Even the GC like them!

Aldom Tue 21-Dec-21 11:14:55

Trisher57 that is exactly how I used to cook the sprouts for Christmas Dinner when all the family were still at home. Delicious.

Theoddbird Tue 21-Dec-21 11:27:17

I love brussel sprouts smile

EllanVannin Tue 21-Dec-21 11:29:47

Another sprout lover here.
Not much I don't like apart from artichokes and Parmesan.