Gransnet forums

Christmas

Is it lunch or dinner?

(42 Posts)
NotAGran55 Sun 06-Nov-22 06:16:51

If you eat the traditional meal in the middle of the day do you call it Christmas lunch or dinner?

Oddly, and I donā€™t know why, to me it is Christmas Dinner, even though the same meal time for the rest of the year is lunch!
Possibly because my parents called it dinner šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™€ļø.

Kate1949 Sun 06-Nov-22 10:10:29

It's always been dinner here. Dinner at midday ish and tea in the evening. Here posh people have lunch at midday and dinner in the evening.

Kate1949 Sun 06-Nov-22 10:12:42

Christmas dinner, school dinners both in the middle of the day.

JaneJudge Sun 06-Nov-22 10:17:05

I imagine I say both. I am meal time names fluid

Jaxjacky Sun 06-Nov-22 10:18:13

Christmas dinner, served about 2, give or take, after a walk to our local where regulars get a free drink. The evening is generally snacking, nothing really prepped.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 06-Nov-22 10:42:41

Christmas Day is always a very relaxed affair, usually a dozen of us, with family members taking turns to host. This year is DSā€™s turn, who announced last night over our bonfire meal that the Turkey is ordered, from the farmer we all use.
Lunch and the time usually at 2pm, which then stretches and relaxes into the evening, with family chatting for hoursšŸ™‚, usually over a tipple or two and cheese, nuts etc.

Kalu Sun 06-Nov-22 11:36:25

Christmas lunch for us around 1.00 and a late light supper around 9.00 was the norm. Now we do a much more relaxed affair to host DD1 and both teenage GDs at whatever time suits.

We took turns hosting with extended family when our girls were young, far too many now though to all be together and us older generation host our own close families and GC now.

Theexwife Sun 06-Nov-22 11:43:22

I always call the main meal dinner which I eat at 7pm. My neighbour eats her main meal, including Christmas Day, at 11.45 to ā€˜get it out of the wayā€™.

Cabbie21 Sun 06-Nov-22 11:45:47

Christmas Dinner, whatever time.

I wish I could eat it with my family, either son or daughter, but DH wonā€™t agree and I wonā€™t desert him.
If we go to a latish church service, we just have a starter at around 12.30 then the main course when it is ready, but otherwise we eat the main course only at 1 pm, with Christmas tea later on, probably whatever we would have as a starter, if that makes sense.

IrishDancing Mon 07-Nov-22 21:34:26

Lunch every day of the year except Christmas Day when itā€™s Christmas Dinner at around 2pm. If we eat our evening meal in itā€™s supper but we ā€œgo out for dinnerā€.
Iā€™ve lived in Scotland for 36 years and have never heard a state school called Public Marmight, is it a city thing?

LadyHonoriaDedlock Mon 07-Nov-22 21:45:54

Always been dinner to me.

Coming from a working-class Lancashire family as I do, dinner was always the midday meal and we had tea, which may have been a simple cooked meal like egg and chips, when dad got home from work or at about 6pm at weekends. We had Christmas Dinner round about 2pm (when the sprouts were boiled to death).

Later, after I'd been to university, left home, got married and realised that you don't have to do what your parents did, it was lunch at midday and dinner in the evening. Even later, after I'd married for the second time of asking and was living in central(ish) London, it was lunch midday (brown bag or something from the sandwich shop) and supper in the evening if eating at home, and dinner was when we went out to eat. That's still pretty much my model, it's a city-slicker's way I admit.

But Christmas Dinner has always been Christmas Dinner. It's a special meal, like one eaten out, and a one-off in the year.

swampy1961 Mon 07-Nov-22 21:56:11

Christmas Dinner has always been Christmas Dinner irrespective of the time. But that's not the general rule otherwise!!

Norah Mon 07-Nov-22 21:58:16

Lunch at 12:30, it's just the two of us, plain ordinary menu.

Nannagarra Mon 07-Nov-22 22:59:29

Christmas dinner, what with all the trimmings, though Iā€™m noted for forgetting the ā€˜pigs inā€™ and leaving them in the oven. I like to time it so weā€™ve eaten just before HRMā€™s message.
As for the names of meals according to time of day #donā€™tcarejusteat.com

MissAdventure Mon 07-Nov-22 23:14:24

I always have Yorkshire puddings with my Christmas tirkey, or chicken, in my case.

CanadianGran Mon 07-Nov-22 23:19:20

We do call it Christmas Dinner eaten around 1pm. It's the only time of year we eat a full meal at that time of day. Easter and Thanksgiving are always around 6pm.

We did grow up having Sunday dinner (roast) at noonish after church, but all of us in my family have changed to main meal at 6pm, except for Christmas!

It works for us because everything is tidied up early, and some of my family have other dinners at in-laws to go to in the late afternoon. They have to pace themselves!

Witzend Tue 08-Nov-22 07:59:36

Marmight, Iā€™d completely forgotten this, but some girls at my school in the 60s (in what was then Warwickshire) used to call their morning break time snack ā€˜lunchā€™.
As far as I remember, I just called mine my Marmite sandwich. šŸ™‚