Gransnet forums

Christmas

Secret Santa - to do or not to do?

(91 Posts)
LRavenscroft Fri 11-Nov-22 08:47:55

I belong to a small poetry group of 10 people who meet every month. For a few years now we have exchanged Secret Santa gifts up to £10 per gift. Things are not that easy financially this year and I have decided to support my local animal and wildlife rescue centre instead of spending well over £100 on cards and gifts. Should I be the only one in the group to stick to my beliefs or am I being a meany Moana and spoiling their tradition? I know for a fact that my £100 would be put to very good use on food and medicine for the animals. Is it an 'if you want to be in my gang...' scenario?

LRavenscroft Fri 11-Nov-22 13:33:36

lovebeigecardigans1955

Stick to your beliefs OP and do yourself a favour (and the rest of the group) by saying so as early as possible so that you can nip any present-buying a nip in the bud, as it were, and no-one wastes money by getting something for you.

Yes, I agree. Good idea. It will be Tuesday when we next meet and I will tell them of my decision then. Thank you.

BlueBelle Fri 11-Nov-22 13:33:50

We don’t do a name thing just put the present in the middle of the table and pick one out

Ziplok Fri 11-Nov-22 13:44:08

I, too, thought the idea of secret Santa is that you bought one gift only for the person whose name you drew out of the hat. If you’re all buying 10 gifts then doesn’t that mean that you all will receive 10 gifts, you just won’t know which person bought which gift you received? (I’m asking this because you mention £100 spending).
Anyway, back to the posters query - if you prefer to donate your £10/£100 to a charity, just say that’s what you would like to do this year rather than be part of the secret Santa so that way you won’t receive a secret Santa gift either. Instead only 9 of them will be participating.
We used to do secret Santa at work, but there was no pressure to be part of it - it was up to the individual. Those participating bought just one gift at a pre agreed budget.

Ziplok Fri 11-Nov-22 13:47:00

Oops, I should have read a bit further - I see it is just one gift for £10. Glad you’ve reached a decision you are happy with LRavenscroft 😁.

NotAGran55 Fri 11-Nov-22 13:58:16

You might not be the only one in the group wanting to knock it on the head LRavenscroft, but the bravest one to speak up.

Farzanah Fri 11-Nov-22 14:00:41

I must be rather miserable but can’t believe this silliness still goes on because I’ve heard so many who resent/dislike having to participate.
At our book group each month, not just Christmas, everyone brings a luxury, but not too expensive item for the food bank.

LRavenscroft Fri 11-Nov-22 15:59:05

Farzanah

I must be rather miserable but can’t believe this silliness still goes on because I’ve heard so many who resent/dislike having to participate.
At our book group each month, not just Christmas, everyone brings a luxury, but not too expensive item for the food bank.

That is a very good idea. We do that at my WI.

Norah Fri 11-Nov-22 16:11:53

I'm involved in one SS, limit £5.

I look to the Charity shops in my area for pretty holiday crockery. Bake a delicious nut free, cello wrap, gorgeous bow - place in box for secrecy.

Always makes people happy, it seems.

Soniah Sun 13-Nov-22 10:16:08

We had a secret santa at our WI when most people ended up with something they neither needed or wanted. I suggested last year we brought something for the food bank instead and that was so popular we are doing it again this year, we have a collection point in the entrance to the church but this is an easy way of reminding people and two of our members volunteer at the food bank so take everything in

cc Sun 13-Nov-22 10:17:16

I must admit I never see much point in Secret Santa. Buying a fairly rubbish present for someone you hardly know? I've never received a nice gift and those I've given don't seem to be liked.
The idea of baking something sounds good though, I would have thought it might be good to convert the whole of your Secret Santa circle to this idea?

lixy Sun 13-Nov-22 10:24:07

LRavenscroft

Sincerest apologies, Everyone! It suddenly occurred to me after I had posted that the bit about £10 was misleading. It is indeed £10 for one person in the group, not £10 for each person. I wouldn't be broke! Thank you for all your replies. They are very much appreciated.

Phew!!

Good luck on Tuesday - hope you reach an amicable decision.

icanhandthemback Sun 13-Nov-22 10:31:22

Perhaps you could persuade the group to give to charity too or make up a shoebox for a teenager in care. So much nicer than a present nobody really wants.

Froglady Sun 13-Nov-22 10:47:51

Lathyrus

Oh wow. It didn’t occur to me you meant £10 for each of them😱

Same here, I thought it was just one present; wow, that is a lot of money for presents. On that case I would say to the group what you intend to do instead of buying individual presents- maybe, as an alternative suggestion thst you just have a Secret Santa for one person in the group rather than the whole group?

Willow68 Sun 13-Nov-22 11:02:42

Do the secret Santa, enjoy your group and it’s traditions. It’s £10 and it’s a nice thing to do as a group 😊

Saggi Sun 13-Nov-22 11:09:51

I’m confused …. I’ve never done it ,but with secret Santa group don’t you just buy for the one person who’s’ name you ‘pull out of hat’

icanhandthemback Sun 13-Nov-22 11:11:47

Froglady

Lathyrus

Oh wow. It didn’t occur to me you meant £10 for each of them😱

Same here, I thought it was just one present; wow, that is a lot of money for presents. On that case I would say to the group what you intend to do instead of buying individual presents- maybe, as an alternative suggestion thst you just have a Secret Santa for one person in the group rather than the whole group?

If you'd read the post before mine which was literally 2 away from yours, you'd have known it was for one present.

LOUISA1523 Sun 13-Nov-22 11:19:37

BlueBelle

Oh spend your £10 and join in it’s a bit of fun after all
Our group has a £5 ceiling which is nothing it’s only once a year Our charity shop sells lots of things (new and unwanted or new and regifted) for a fiver or under I d be annoyed if I got a card to say I d just donated to something I didn’t agree with or wasn’t interested in and it will set you apart to say I don’t want to join in
That’s what I d do anyway

I would do this too....OP says she's not skint so she could give another tenner to charity if she wants

LRavenscroft Sun 13-Nov-22 11:30:35

Thanks for all your replies. To be honest with you I would rather give my tenner to the Animal Rescue centre. Last year I got a packet of tea and I know that the donor concerned spends a lot on what suits them. I am just not their 'cup of tea'! The centre are desperate for money after Covid and the current financial situation and so many cats and dogs are being given up because their owners can't afford to keep them after having acquired them as companions during Covid. Just personal decision, but again thanks for all your input.

ParlorGames Sun 13-Nov-22 11:37:44

Saggi

I’m confused …. I’ve never done it ,but with secret Santa group don’t you just buy for the one person who’s’ name you ‘pull out of hat’

Yes Saggi, that's right. Alternatively, all the gifts are chosen as in a lucky dip from a pile - that was the case with me so please see my previous comment. I won't do taking part in a SS every again.

Kryptonite Sun 13-Nov-22 11:38:22

£100? Is that on gifts for the poetry group? If so, way too excessive. Definitely give to your chosen good cause. I reckon others will follow you on this 👍

icanhandthemback Sun 13-Nov-22 11:39:26

Kryptonite

£100? Is that on gifts for the poetry group? If so, way too excessive. Definitely give to your chosen good cause. I reckon others will follow you on this 👍

Read the thread!

Lathyrus Sun 13-Nov-22 11:42:21

LRavenscroft

Thanks for all your replies. To be honest with you I would rather give my tenner to the Animal Rescue centre. Last year I got a packet of tea and I know that the donor concerned spends a lot on what suits them. I am just not their 'cup of tea'! The centre are desperate for money after Covid and the current financial situation and so many cats and dogs are being given up because their owners can't afford to keep them after having acquired them as companions during Covid. Just personal decision, but again thanks for all your input.

I think that’s fine as long as you say I’m not taking part full stop and don’t tell someone you’re donating to the Animal Centre on their behalf.

Nanny123 Sun 13-Nov-22 11:45:37

I think thats a lovely idea. I bet a lot in the group would agree with you.

LRavenscroft Sun 13-Nov-22 11:46:14

Lathyrus

LRavenscroft

I think that’s fine as long as you say I’m not taking part full stop and don’t tell someone you’re donating to the Animal Centre on their behalf.

Totally agree with you, Lathyrus. I am doing it in other areas of my life as well so it is not a one off decision for that group.

Lathyrus Sun 13-Nov-22 11:46:58

They might or they might think she’s a meany, you just don’t know.🤔