Gransnet forums

Christmas

Buying online for Christmas

(38 Posts)
karmalady Thu 24-Nov-22 10:36:53

I am always happy with amazon and the ebay sellers this year have been excellent, various plants and trimmings for sewing, good value and good quality. I do shop locally and know I will pay a bit more but I do that because we all want our local small shops to survive

I get my wholefoods online because I get very good incentives and I know turnover of stock is good, hence fresher. No problems with delivery, except for parcelforce, they go back to depot to be back there at 5

I am consistent with my weekly online organic veg order, again it costs more but so be it and I am a valued long-term customer

re christmas, organic shop is set but can easily be changed and will be delivered just before christmas. No more online shopping for christmas. Thankfully, dgc are all teenagers now and prefer some cash

henetha Thu 24-Nov-22 10:25:35

On Monday I ordered six christmas presents from eBay.
Four have arrived already and two are on the way. So that's quite good.
Yesterday morning when opening my front door I found a parcel from Amazon that was soaking wet. It must have been there all night, so either they didn't ring the door bell or I didn't hear it.
My Evri lady says they are absolutely overwhelmed and can hardly cope at the moment.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Nov-22 08:55:57

As much as I dislike everything about Amazon, DH orders items in the morning and they are here in the evening or first thing the following morning.

He has Amazon Prime.

Beechnut Thu 24-Nov-22 08:44:10

I ordered something last Friday and delivered by Evri Monday evening.

NotAGran55 Thu 24-Nov-22 05:05:33

It’s eBay.

Ali08 Thu 24-Nov-22 02:37:51

sazz1

I sell and buy online from a well-known auction site EB and just want to tell you what the deliveries are like atm.
I've had 2 parcels I've sold go missing both posted via Royal Mail. One turned up 4 weeks later. Others are taking between 3 days and 3 weeks to arrive 2nd class small parcels
Evri are taking up to 10days, average is 5 days atm.
If your home is just a 'house name' and not on Google Maps Royal Mail will find it quicker as post people usually walk the same roads every day. Also applies to new build areas. If its not on Google maps you have very little chance of a courier finding it unless they deliver there regularly. My daughter's road took 8 years to be listed on Google maps and never received parcels from couriers but from neighbours at a similarly named road nearby!
Courier firns are all now inundated with parcels and announcing delays to deliveries on their sites.
If you want something for a Xmas 🎁 present 🎁 please order ASAP
Hope this helps some people
Best wishes x

What is EB, please?

Soozikinzi Thu 24-Nov-22 00:01:26

Is what three words useful to add for deliveries ?

sazz1 Wed 23-Nov-22 22:59:24

Perhaps it's just from my area in Devon that there are problems then.

NotAGran55 Wed 23-Nov-22 21:13:13

I ordered something from a French company at 0830 on Thursday, it was shipped the same day and was delivered on Saturday morning by DPD. Shipping cost was Β£3.50.

GrannyLaine Wed 23-Nov-22 21:06:02

I'm surprised to hear this sazz1 though I appreciate that it may differ from location to location. I also sell on Ebay and use Royal Mail for practically all my parcels. The speed of delivery is astonishing, many second class parcels arriving next day and feedback reflects this. And I've never had a parcel go missing.

Harris27 Wed 23-Nov-22 20:58:17

I shop with jd Williams pay a yearly subscription and it’s been brilliant.

MawtheMerrier Wed 23-Nov-22 20:55:04

Its not necessarily all doom and gloom. I bought a Gudrun Sjoden coatigan on ebay at the end of last week, it came yesterday. Another online purchase (a dress for GD from Friends of Joules) came within the week.
But obviously don't leave things until the last minute.

sazz1 Wed 23-Nov-22 20:35:33

I sell and buy online from a well-known auction site EB and just want to tell you what the deliveries are like atm.
I've had 2 parcels I've sold go missing both posted via Royal Mail. One turned up 4 weeks later. Others are taking between 3 days and 3 weeks to arrive 2nd class small parcels
Evri are taking up to 10days, average is 5 days atm.
If your home is just a 'house name' and not on Google Maps Royal Mail will find it quicker as post people usually walk the same roads every day. Also applies to new build areas. If its not on Google maps you have very little chance of a courier finding it unless they deliver there regularly. My daughter's road took 8 years to be listed on Google maps and never received parcels from couriers but from neighbours at a similarly named road nearby!
Courier firns are all now inundated with parcels and announcing delays to deliveries on their sites.
If you want something for a Xmas 🎁 present 🎁 please order ASAP
Hope this helps some people
Best wishes x