Gransnet forums

Christmas

What my 13 year old GS has requested for Christmas

(184 Posts)
Gin Sat 03-Dec-22 12:19:41

I asked my son for ideas for a Christmas present for teenage GS. I have just heard he wants a bottle of Prada Ocean, a cologne or aftershave in my language. The smallest size cost about £45! Am I being a meanie refusing to buy it? He is turning into a label conscious lad only wanting expensive named brands. I feel it is a trait not to be encouraged or are most youngsters like this? He is my youngest GS by many years, am I out of touch?

paddyann54 Sat 03-Dec-22 14:54:33

I give something wrapped ,they all wanted something for their school disco so got early and the wrapped thing will be under the tree .They are 15 ,13 and 11 and they know exactly what they like ,not that I'm surprised as thats how I was and my mum used to tell of her Dad sitting up all night sewing her what she wanted for a dance

hollysteers Sat 03-Dec-22 15:00:03

Next time, don’t ask and send him a £10 note 👍

Doodledog Sat 03-Dec-22 15:25:51

I don't see presents as extravagances, so long as they are in the budget of the giver. The whole point of a present is that it is something the recipient would think twice about buying themselves, and see as a luxury. The cost is, of course, important, as we can't spend more than we can afford, but assuming that your son had an idea of what you'd be spending, I think it's much more sensible to give your grandson what he wants rather than disappointing him and wasting your money on a more 'worthy' gift.

wildswan16 Sat 03-Dec-22 15:30:38

Be honest with him, give him a voucher (eg Boots) for the amount you want to spend. Just say that the one he wanted was a bit out of your price range but you hope that he will have some other Christmas money to add to your voucher so he can get what he wanted. And that you definitely want to have a smell of him if he manages to purchase it. Keep it light-hearted.

Mollygo Sat 03-Dec-22 15:37:01

Lots of good advice in here. If it’s in your budget, buy it. If not give what you can afford towards it. GC should be aware of the financial issues around at the moment.
One DGS asked for something similar a few years back. Because we live so far away, I sent the money and suggested he get it himself.
After Christmas, when I asked if he was enjoying the cologne, he said, “I didn’t buy it because it was too expensive and I didn’t want to spend that much!” Then he told me what he’d bought instead.
Evidently having someone spend that much on you is different from spending it yourself.

CraftyGranny Sat 03-Dec-22 15:37:33

I would find that too expensive. I always spend the same amount of each Grandchild, but there are now eleven of them. Way out of my budget!! shock

Gin Sat 03-Dec-22 16:22:11

Thanks for all your advice. Yes I must be out of touch but forgive me I am pretty ancient!

Hithere Sat 03-Dec-22 16:45:34

You asked, you got the answer

You are out of touch, brand name perfumes are not cheap

BlueBelle Sat 03-Dec-22 16:48:54

I don’t think it was the money that you baulked at zGin but a) the fact that it was a young peoples named item and b) the price of the item Well if it was what he wanted and he realised he d only get one thing because of thae price then go with it it’s his choices
Am I right he’s your eldest grandchild I have 7 between 25 and 16 and for years I ve been buying things I’d never dream of getting myself and gasping at the money and thinking why don’t then want lots of smaller things😂 so much more fun for me

Pigma Sat 03-Dec-22 16:53:35

If it costs more than you want to spend then giving him money rather than a more ‘worthy’ - in your opinion - gift would be preferable as he can then put it towards something he does want. All his pals will be into their designer labels as well so he won’t want to feel left out. My 14 year old grandson asked for Dior Eau Sauvage for his birthday. Personally, and privately, I thought that was ridiculous both from a cost and age point of view but also because he would have been better off with a bar of soap and a good wash imo. But it was what he wanted so he got that rather than the three or four things I would otherwise have bought for the same money. His pressie, his choice.

Doodledog Sat 03-Dec-22 16:55:04

Gin

Thanks for all your advice. Yes I must be out of touch but forgive me I am pretty ancient!

No need for forgiveness. It's not always easy to keep up with trends or schools of thought, which is the beauty of being able to ask for opinions on places like this (which you can, of course, take or leave).

mokryna Sat 03-Dec-22 17:05:24

I don’t think you are out of touch Gin. Just do as some of the others have said and give a vouchers towards his chosen present.
I have based my present giving on a certain price and it doesn’t go up with inflation, as I have stopped work. Next year it may even go down but my GC do give a list with small as well as larger tags. I think their mother suggested that. Last year my eldest wanted money to put toward a new renovated iPhone.

Damdee Sat 03-Dec-22 17:06:45

My GS will be 13 soon. He has also asked for cologne - it was a gift set reduced from £85 to £65 on Black Friday. I am happy to give him that and happy to be told what he wants - imagine trying to think what a 13 year old boy would want if you had no idea? He always gets cash for his birthday which is just before Christmas and I will be reducing the amount a little as his Christmas gift is costing more than usual. He is happy with all this.

V3ra Sat 03-Dec-22 17:26:41

for years I've been buying things I’d never dream of getting myself and gasping at the money

One of my sons has said he's collecting Steam vouchers, I had to look it up!
Online games, available through Curry's, apparently.
We also think there are more worthwhile things, but hey ho... 🤷

Luckygirl3 Sat 03-Dec-22 17:31:26

I do understand.

At the suggestion of my DD I have bought DGS (14) a T-shirt in a colour that I always call First Nappy that has a teeny wee logo on it - apparently that logo is why it was not cheap. It's all ridiculous isn't it?

I could have got a T-shirt that colour (without logo) in the market for a fiver!

Kim19 Sat 03-Dec-22 20:34:34

I think when one seeks help with a prospective gift a budget should be indicated. That way there's no embarrassment. Having said that, I would buy whatever was requested if I could afford it. No question.

Alioop Sat 03-Dec-22 21:12:13

If you prefer not to buy it then buy a gift card for a price that suits your budget. Get a Boots card or somewhere else that stocks it so he then can add some more money himself to go and buy it.

Hithere Sat 03-Dec-22 23:36:25

Luckygirl

It is not about the tshirt, it is about the status of the brand

Nothing new, honestly

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Dec-22 00:11:59

Sometimes it's hard to buy something you just don't like.
I was always reluctant to buy vTech toys. I loathe them with their annoying tinny sounds. Sometimes you have to suck it up I feel.
If you can't bear it give the cash instead... (I wrap mine in small boxes/tubes and make a gift of it) and then you don't have to "do the deed" yourself!
Personally I rather like the "fragrance description" of the Prada Ocean! I'd rather buy that than the Vtech!
This year we are not gifting as much as last year but even teenagers seem to like to have something to open - whatever they may say.

paddyann54 Sun 04-Dec-22 09:40:41

Teenage boys.in my experience come in two types.The ones who have to be forced into a shower or tidy their rooms and the ones who like to look and smell nice and live i na tidy space.
Your GS seems to be the second type so go with the flow ,my son has also always been like this he has an amazing array of smellies on a shelf a different type for any occassion.I'm much happier about him spending money on that than as his sister would say "peeing it up a wall" like a lot of teenagers do .Splurge on him buy him the gift set with shaving oil/cream and shower gel .

Oreo Sun 04-Dec-22 09:47:37

Gin

If it’s what he wants and you were going to spend that much then job done.Always a pain trying to find what kids like.
Mind you what happened to 13 yr old boys wanting a chemistry set, roller skates or a remote controlled car😄

Gin Sun 04-Dec-22 12:21:41

Well that is me convinced! Tomorrow I shall see if I can find it in the local town. I am not venturing into the crowds in Milton Keynes even for my lovely GS

karmalady Sun 04-Dec-22 13:04:44

Oldbat1

We give gc money and they can buy what they want or put it towards something. We are not poor but we only give £30 per person in cash in an envelope. Quite enough I feel as they are all quite comfortable and don’t want for anything.

oldbat, that is exactly what I give. My teen dgc are always grateful for that.

Norah Sun 04-Dec-22 14:54:07

Gin

Well that is me convinced! Tomorrow I shall see if I can find it in the local town. I am not venturing into the crowds in Milton Keynes even for my lovely GS

Brilliant! You know he'll enjoy your gift.

Giving what people truly want, if affordable, is the best gift.

MissAdventure Sun 04-Dec-22 16:01:29

smile
I bet you will find joy in watching him open his present, knowing it's exactly what he wants.