Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas - how much are you paring back ?

(74 Posts)
hazel93 Mon 05-Dec-22 14:38:04

We have decided no presents for adults this year, children, probably ,will still be horribly spoilt.
Lunch will be traditional, will make my own pigs in blankets, sausage rolls, stuffing, and pud, that being a roulade rather than the "so full , cannot stand " original.
What about you ?

Redhead56 Tue 13-Dec-22 08:32:59

No we have not really cut back it’s been a miserable time with illness etc that have gone through the family. With worries about increased bills we have given money to spend how they like and small gift. We have helped with the cost of new beds and still giving the GC some toys.
We really don’t over indulge food wise I prepare and cook everything myself and there is only us for dinner. We are fortunate so why not spend on loved ones if we didn’t have it we would spend only what we could.

Grandmabatty Tue 13-Dec-22 08:00:20

I've cut back substantially on the amount I spend on gifts for adults. And I'm quite happy about it. I used to spend £120 on a cousin and her family. I see her twice a year, her children are adults so I decided this year to give the family a voucher for their favourite restaurant. £40. That's a big saving!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 13-Dec-22 07:41:53

It does no harm to buy less - the earth will thank you for it, and you will be no less happy - which is what matters.

Lucca Tue 13-Dec-22 06:07:36

LRavenscroft

A friend told me that she cries if she cannot entertain at Christmas and have the house full of people. I listened politely thinking it was my worst nightmare. Different strokes for different folks, so long as we are kind to one another, peace and goodwill to all.

Bet that guilt trips her family !

LRavenscroft Tue 13-Dec-22 05:04:33

A friend told me that she cries if she cannot entertain at Christmas and have the house full of people. I listened politely thinking it was my worst nightmare. Different strokes for different folks, so long as we are kind to one another, peace and goodwill to all.

AussieGran59 Tue 13-Dec-22 04:29:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Jeffier Tue 13-Dec-22 03:54:43

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Hil1910 Mon 12-Dec-22 22:28:40

Going abroad for Xmas/NY so I’ve no food/drink to buy. Haven’t cut back on the number, or value, of Xmas presents we give to our Nephews and Nieces but I mostly buy them in the Boxing Day sales. Still sending the same number of Xmas Cards we send.
Got my Xmas cushions out at the weekend and have put up few decorations. It does seem strange not having a decorated tree up but I tend to observe the 12 days of Xmas tradition and won’t be home before 12th night so it’s still packed away. Hope you all enjoy the festive season.

JackyB Fri 09-Dec-22 19:54:05

My boys have done it for me. DS3 will be here from Berlin but is not arriving until 6 pm on Christmas Day. DS2 and family can't fit us in at all as he (a teacher) has to be at school on 2 Jan and his wife has a patchwork family, so they can just fit her mother, father and grandmother in before he has to go back to school. Also they have just had a baby, so would prefer not to undertake the 3 hour journey to us whilst the others are all much nearer. I understand completely and can live with that . We shall take them their presents some time in January (one DGD has a birthday on 12 Jan anyway)

DS1 lives near and will be coming for Christmas lunch. That is the only thing that I shall be extravagant with.

Even then, though, DiL is vegetarian, and she has said she will be happy with just vegetables and roast potatoes. I shall probably bake her some feta as well.

Maybe some presents for the kids, but they are happy just to be here and sit by the fire and play or read, and don't really take much interest in presents.

rafichagran Fri 09-Dec-22 15:35:42

Not cutting down here either. I love buying my real tree. I like Christmas food, and I love spending Christmas day with my partner on our own.
Boxing day is another matter, U spend it with family. I do table/tree presents, and we all enjoy it.

AreWeThereYet Fri 09-Dec-22 15:12:28

Judging from the wrappings DH and I now have 4 large calendars, and I have a further 1. Can anyone beat that score?

😄 We used to get five or six each year. But we always bought our own Jack Vettriano one every year because we both like his paintings, and that was the only one we ever put up. I suspect that the calendars were from kindly people looking for 'a little something' to give us and we're very glad we don't get any these days. They all went straight to a charity shop and no one ever asked about them.

Yammy Fri 09-Dec-22 12:45:32

We are all hoping to get together for once, contributing to the food and wine.
We've agreed on a small gift from each family for the adults and parents are buying GC presents with money we put into the account.
Christmas cards have been sent to relations and close friends. I feel we won't be getting any from the broader circle of friends.

nanna8 Fri 09-Dec-22 11:53:30

I buy all the children, grandchildren and great grandchildren a present -22 in all. There is a max of $50 each but if I can find something nice that is on special I will get it. I figure I won’t be around forever so they might as well have stuff whilst I am still here! I like buying stuff but hate wrapping it up so this year I have bought loads of Christmas bags,much easier.

winterwhite Fri 09-Dec-22 11:35:36

The other side of this coin of course is being at the receiving end of other people's paring back.

Judging from the wrappings DH and I now have 4 large calendars, and I have a further 1. Can anyone beat that score?

Since we only have hanging space for 3, Boxing Day at Winter Towers will clearly be spent in gentle bickering - or depending on the calendars downright warfare. Do we have to run round changing them when the givers of the rejected ones come to call?

stillaspringchicken Thu 08-Dec-22 12:53:30

No children in the family any more, adult kids still like their Christmas stockings, Secret Santa at work (£10 max). We cut back years ago after a totally excessive and not that enjoyable extended gathering.

Happysexagenarian Wed 07-Dec-22 21:44:47

We are not giving presents to adults this year. Not to save us money but to help them out (I hope). They are always in a quandary what to give us and TBH we have all we need really! Though I have a sneaky feeling they'll still give us something. But DH and I will exchange presents and cards, we always do.

I always ask what the GC would like but I don't buy gifts of equal value for them, just something they'll like or will be useful to them. They really don't mind if a sibling has a more valuable present, they're happy to receive anything. The older GC like money or gift cards. And this year, as we're not giving to their parents, we can spend a little more on the GC. I've also made a few of their gifts over the past year.

This year we have decided to spend Christmas on our own, just the two of us, mainly because I'm struggling with my health a bit at the moment and I simply don't have the energy or enthusiasm for a family get together, and wonderful though he is I can't expect DH to do everything. I just want a quiet Christmas doing whatever we please. Hopefully next year I'll feel a lot better and more able to cope, I hope so because I really love Christmas.

We'll put up the tree as usual (it's not Christmas without a tree!), the outdoor lights, my beautiful nativity set, my Christmas Village, handmade cushions and a few other bits and pieces, and that's it. We do have Christmas bedding but I only use it if the family are visiting. I don't really have any Christmas tableware because I've run out of storage space for more china etc! But I'll lay the table with a white cloth, my handmade runner, gold chargers and our 'best' cutlery. Dinner will be a smoked salmon starter, turkey crown with all the trimmings, pudding or mince pies, a glass of wine and coffee or tea. We don't usually buy nibbles or snacks but we do like a glass of Baileys, Port or Brandy in the evening. Boxing Day menu will be leftovers eaten casually while watching TV or playing Scrabble or something.

As I write this I'm really looking forward to it now.
So, back to the pressie wrapping.....!

I'll be sending the same number of cards as usual. I don't like e-cards and only a few people on my list would have the technology or knowledge to download one. For many of our friends it's the only time we keep in touch with a letter or short note in the card, and I know from their replies that they enjoy hearing from us. So although stamps are expensive I don't begrudge that cost. And this year of course I'll also be sending two large parcels of presents as well.

Theoddbird Wed 07-Dec-22 19:47:24

Not given presents to two of my adult children in years. Stopped when they had children. Son and his wife get one as they don't have children. I spend the same on each of my six grandchildren. I have never splurged though. Christmas is not about how much you spend though.

kevincharley Wed 07-Dec-22 17:52:36

We pared back years ago. Nothing left to be pared unless we have egg and chips for lunch.
We didn't cut back for financial reasons, more that we wanted a peaceful day to ourselves so Christmas is a walk with the dogs and a really nice meal of our choosing.
We only buy presents for my husband's daughter and for each other.

Lilyflower Wed 07-Dec-22 17:39:54

We said we would and we tried…

But the DD is about her have her first baby and when she asked to limit the present amount and we all agreed heartily, I couldn’t help but buy her an extra present. She’s still working hard, full time and has been very poorly. And then when my nieces asked for money in their accounts, I had to get them a tree present as well. Presents. And my sister always dictates the presents and forgets what she said so we have to be generous there.

And I have three December birthdays and it’s unfair to skimp on them.

Alas, I just love Christmas. However, at least this year I had a Christmas fund and everything is mostly covered.

My own present is provided by Tesco’s Clubcard points spent at Goldsmith’s jewellers. So a freebie - but a very nice one.

BlueSapphire Wed 07-Dec-22 17:38:27

No presents for adults this year, but I cannot bear the thought of not giving anything to my DC and their partners that I shall give them money to have a nice day or meal out.

Have bought lots for the DGDs; I am their only grandparent, so feel I can spoil them.

Have sent the usual amount of cards, and have not cut back on anything really. I have bought myself Christmas bedding; it was reduced!

Davida1968 Wed 07-Dec-22 16:54:08

Just the two of us here at our home on Christmas day and we're being very simple. Probably a good-quality meat pie with some roasted spuds & fresh veggies. DH has made mincemeat for home-made mince pies and we'll have some drinks at home. Relatives are staying after that, so we'll be home-cooking in the same way, plus a meal out. Years ago we agreed with friends not to give gifts but to give to charities instead: very glad we did this, because so many charities need help. Family adults' gifts are generally modest: it's understood (and applauded) that any of these gifts may come from charity shops. (The latter are the source of our Christmas table linens.)

Juicylucy Wed 07-Dec-22 14:45:26

No cutting back from me either still spend same on all the family…. Boxing Day at a restaurant this year as well for 11 of us. Only thing I’ve not bothered with is posting cards.

Ziplok Wed 07-Dec-22 14:30:39

Not paring down in relation to trimming the house, it brings some cheer at an otherwise gloomy time of year. What we have stopped this year is present buying for all the adults, we’re all of an age now where we’ve either got what we need or buy it as and when we need it. DH and I have bought each other a little something to put under the tree. I really love Christmas time, but understand that for some it’s a very difficult time to get through.
I don’t have Christmas bedding or cushions, but for those who do, why not if it brings pleasure?

Albangirl14 Wed 07-Dec-22 14:27:14

Have cut down on actual toys for the children and now contribute to a trampoline or a bike plus something to unwrap on Christmas day . Lots of young famillies have small homes and no room for piles of plastic toys ,games etc

Bignanny2 Wed 07-Dec-22 13:57:39

I intended to but don’t seem to have done!