Gransnet forums

Christmas

Last card for Christmas?

(28 Posts)
Grannee Tue 06-Dec-22 13:55:38

I would like to trim my Christmas card list right down to virtually zero - in the interests of saving trees/money/my sanity! Does anyone have a nice way of saying "This will be our last year sending Christmas cards" ? Funny, kindly, not too blunt answers appreciated!

JackyB Thu 08-Dec-22 08:36:53

I'm not stopping either; last year I got and sent around 30. I would understand though if my friends in the UK changed over to sending e-mails, as I have seen how the cost of postage has rocketed recently over there.

As for presents: please think twice about sending presents to friends and family in Europe. My DS2 had to pay €14 to collect a gift that my sister sent for their new baby. Not only are the recipients charged for Customs but the Post Office charges a further €7 on average for handling. Last Christmas I think DS1 had to pay €29 to pick up a gift from my sister, who had already paid the same for postage at the UK end as the presents themselves had cost.

Wyllow3 Thu 08-Dec-22 08:45:40

My "list" (except for neighbours, which is 4 cards) is only 22: friends I done want to lose touch with and my generation relatives, and my sibs as we don't do presents.

Not a great Christmas fan but I really like keeping in touch this way, get little snippets of headline news. btw, these are people I'm not online with nor have phone numbers for tho 3 are on Facebook. The personal touch really still counts for me.

Quite a few cards I get back have label printed addresses then hand signed so they have got a lot more organised than me!