Gransnet forums

Christmas

Any Christmas tips?

(51 Posts)
Grandmadinosaur Thu 15-Dec-22 15:14:48

Not the kind you give to tradesmen etc but wondered if anyone has any time saving tips re Christmas.

Browsing online I came across personalised sticky labels to stick on gifts instead of the usual ones. They come in a sheet of 15 I ordered one with both of my grandchildren's names on. I’ve wrapped the presents up today and they are so much quicker just sticking these on than writing labels out. Next year I will be ordering a sheet for each member of the family.
A great buy.

62Granny Thu 15-Dec-22 15:23:13

Where did you order them from?

Grandmadinosaur Thu 15-Dec-22 15:35:58

Hope I’m allowed to say . They were from Etsy.

rosie1959 Thu 15-Dec-22 16:26:23

I use different wrapping paper for each child with their favourite things or cartoons on them so I can remember which gift for which child

lixy Thu 15-Dec-22 16:42:43

I buy things to go on stockings all through the year when I see them - in sales etc. Yhey get wrapped and put in the stocking there and then so they are pretty much ready to go by Christmas.

Yammy Thu 15-Dec-22 16:48:26

If you can't be bothered or haven't time to make your own Cranberry sauce buy a jar of good quality put in a little grated orange rind and a little orange juice or Cointreau is even better if you have any and tip it into a pretty bowl.

Oreo Thu 15-Dec-22 16:49:22

In January go to garden centres to buy half price or less boxes of cards and all Christmas things to put away for next year.
Hit the shops for gifts for next year as well.

Grandmadinosaur Thu 15-Dec-22 16:51:29

I do that rosie it makes it much easier to remember who it’s for then.

I like the cranberry sauce idea Yammy

Yammy Thu 15-Dec-22 17:00:06

Grandmadinosaur

I do that rosie it makes it much easier to remember who it’s for then.

I like the cranberry sauce idea Yammy

Forgot to say had the jar and smile.

Yammy Thu 15-Dec-22 17:00:16

hide

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 15-Dec-22 17:00:53

I make as much in advance as possible. Bread sauce today, sausage rolls, gravy and two types of stuffing tomorrow. Possibly some ice-cream too. Luckily we have three freezers. Christmas cards - I set up an address label folder on my PC years ago and add or remove as necessary. I hate writing addresses.

Greyduster Thu 15-Dec-22 17:05:00

Go to bed and pull the covers over your head for three days! Other than that, all of the above!😁

M0nica Thu 15-Dec-22 17:42:56

My main tip is plan in advance and then enjoy it.

annsixty Thu 15-Dec-22 17:45:12

Oh how I would love to do that Greyduster just stay in bed until it is all over.
My only problem with that is that I think I will want to do that every year from now on, I am getting too old to care 😏

SueDonim Thu 15-Dec-22 18:50:26

With four DC and six GC, I’m just so fed up of present-wrapping! This year I’ve bought inexpensive gift bags (From Card Factory, Aldi etc) and label one for each family member. Their gifts get put straight into the bag, I artfully(!) place some decorative tissue paper on the top then seal the bag.

All done in a quick shake of a Christmas lamb’s tail! 🎄

Oldnproud Thu 15-Dec-22 19:11:14

My tip is to stop buying for adults, or at least to limit it to one present each for adults and even for grandchildren. That cuts down on both cost and the effort needed in wrapping and writing labels.

Yammy Thu 15-Dec-22 19:36:40

Try to get invited to someone else's house for Christmas lunch!!! smile
My DH has always insisted on having Christmas at home with different family members joining us at different times.
This year we are invited to DD with our other DD and family.
If we get there considering strikes and the weather it will be the first one I have had cooked for me in 43 years and that was a maternity hospital,

Grandma70s Thu 15-Dec-22 19:48:24

We don’t give presents to adults at Christmas, and the children are now old enough to prefer money, so it’s no effort and everyone is happy. We do give birthday presents.

kittylester Thu 15-Dec-22 20:27:03

SueDonim

With four DC and six GC, I’m just so fed up of present-wrapping! This year I’ve bought inexpensive gift bags (From Card Factory, Aldi etc) and label one for each family member. Their gifts get put straight into the bag, I artfully(!) place some decorative tissue paper on the top then seal the bag.

All done in a quick shake of a Christmas lamb’s tail! 🎄

I do that too. And the bags are reused year after year.

Callistemon21 Thu 15-Dec-22 20:32:20

Our bags are re-used too.

This year I did buy a few new ones and they're brown paper with a Christmas pattern, fully recyclable.

SueDonim Thu 15-Dec-22 21:39:56

Yes, gathering up the bags to re-use is great! It also means you don’t fill your wheelie bin up with paper waste.

Last year I also reused the gift bags that Amazon sends wrapped items in but I had to declutter them when we moved house, waaah! sad

CanadianGran Thu 15-Dec-22 22:40:52

Buy square boxes of chocolates for gifts! I wrapped 4 tins of Quality Street in hexagon tins last night. DH was having a giggle, but was of no help at all. shock

Vintagegirl Sun 18-Dec-22 11:20:04

Frozen roast potatoes!

Farzanah Sun 18-Dec-22 11:24:32

For young GC I printed their photographs on paper, and stuck them on presents as labels. This before they could read their names.

madeleine45 Sun 18-Dec-22 11:34:13

As a singer I was always very busy at christmas with rehearsals and concerts etc, so my thing was I always bought 2 extra presents, in case I had forgotten someone or there was someone extra when family came. So I used to get a box of Anton Berg biscuits - I would call them posh jaffa cakes. Each one individually wrapped and you could get plums in maderia or oranges in cointreau etc and they would have marzipan and chocolate . These would be wrapped in christmas paper with a label put on but not signed. then I would get a book token. So win win. If I needed them at christmas time there they were at the ready. If I had been organized or lucky enough to not need them at all , brilliant. I used to invite a couple of friends to come over for an indulgent coffee in the middle of january. So we had lovely fresh coffee in china mugs, an indulgent anton berg, and we were allowed to have a great moan about anything that happened over christmas or people who had annoyed us etc. If the book token was not needed - I would keep it until about february in case there was a need and then what bliss. Any money of course was swallowed up in bills etc but you cant pay a bill with a book token and that gave me the great pleasure of being able to have a legitimate reason to spend ages choosing a book for myself. When things are fraught over the christmas time you can have a little cheering thought of these pleasures to come. Then as said before I always plant up 3 pots of hyacinths to start coming out mid January and they go on until february. They do not save you time but over the years I have been very happy when these presents have either been used or we have had fun on our january indulgent munch and moan! Just make sure that you get something that you really enjoy yourself!