Gransnet forums

Christmas

First Christmas cookery cock-up! 🎄🎅🏻

(13 Posts)
Witzend Fri 23-Dec-22 18:45:05

I put cranberries on to simmer for 10 minutes in sugar syrup, forgot it - it boiled over so I now have sticky red gloop all over the hob.
Anyone else managed to mess anything up already?

henetha Fri 23-Dec-22 18:47:32

I've overcooked the mince pies. They are really crunchy, or hard, to be honest. And there's 18 of them!

Kate1949 Fri 23-Dec-22 18:54:59

I've ordered puddings from Tesco. My order arrived today without them. Serves me right. I should have got them earlier. So it's off to the shops tomorrow. Yuk.

rubysong Fri 23-Dec-22 19:09:29

I added extras to the mincemeat, (chopped glacé cherries and some quite old, home made marmalade I wanted rid of). Then I topped them with lattice pastry. As a result they boiled over and are extremely sticky. They taste OK but are only for family consumption.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 23-Dec-22 19:54:37

henetha me too! Forgot to set the timer, told the family that they need to warm them up before attempting to bite them, but with a dollop of cream they are quite nice.

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Dec-22 20:43:25

DD put on mulled wine to warm up and forgot it.

The end result tasted ok but all the alcohol must have boiled off and DH had to Brillo the saucepan wine

Visgir1 Fri 23-Dec-22 20:45:05

Witzend

I put cranberries on to simmer for 10 minutes in sugar syrup, forgot it - it boiled over so I now have sticky red gloop all over the hob.
Anyone else managed to mess anything up already?

Did exactly the same this morning!

MiniMoon Fri 23-Dec-22 22:32:47

DS doesn't like Christmas pudding so I made some chocolate cup cakes. I either over filled the bun cases, or the mixture was super airy, but they overflowed. Some of them looked like they were wearing elf hats. They taste fine though. I made them into butterfly buns.

mumofmadboys Fri 23-Dec-22 23:07:19

I ordered frozen cranberries 2 weeks ago. Sainsburys delived frozen black cherries. I ordered frozen cranberries the next week. They delivered frozen raspberries. I have now bought a jar of cranberry sauce!!

henetha Fri 23-Dec-22 23:35:47

Yes Oopsadaisy, you are right. They'll be edible when smothered in cream!

grannydarkhair Sat 24-Dec-22 01:09:08

Or custard!

Spice101 Sat 24-Dec-22 02:06:12

....or both!

Spice101 Sat 24-Dec-22 02:11:32

I had one job to do for Christmas this year, make seafood bonbons with lemon sauce. Have done it for 40 years and I always double the quantity of sauce but today I managed to double the double quantity of stock and cream and could not work out why it would not thicken. Fortunately I was able to add a couple of extra egg yolks and make it almost right.