Gransnet forums

Christmas

Cards and 75p 2nd class stamps

(68 Posts)
ExDancer Fri 29-Sep-23 13:20:58

Do you think the Christmas card industry is going to fold now we're paying £1.50 to send a couple of cards?
I'll deliver my local ones by hand, but people who can't walk far and don't drive, will be spending a fortune!

Theexwife Fri 29-Sep-23 13:36:22

I only send two Christmas cards, they are to neighbours who send them to me. Friends and family stopped years ago.

Birthday cards are only sent to older people as the younger ones don't seem to want them or send any. I go on Moonpig at the beginning of the year and order the birthday cards for the year to be sent directly, the cost including post is quite low when ordering that way.

Margiknot Fri 29-Sep-23 13:47:07

We had several Christmas greetings sent by email last year. Some did fancy things like showing flashing stars etc when opened, or playing a tune! I suspect that is the way things are going now. Charities that rely on Christmas card sales to raise funds, may need to find other ways.

Grannynannywanny Fri 29-Sep-23 15:11:12

I drastically cut my Christmas card list 2 years ago . I now only send physical cards to a few very elderly friends. The rest are sent on WhatsApp. I have a nice little selection of Christmas scenes to go with the message such as the one I’ve attached.

I posted a new baby card to Ireland this morning. The stamp cost £2.20. I have relations and friends at 15 different addresses in Ireland. At those prices it will definitely be Whatsapp Christmas messages for them !

BlueBelle Fri 29-Sep-23 15:12:22

I hate email cards you can’t hang them u and decorate the room
I ll still send them

BlueBelle Fri 29-Sep-23 15:13:26

Don’t anyone send me a whatsap card🥴 I can’t think of anything I d less like

Grannynannywanny Fri 29-Sep-23 15:21:17

Ok BlueBelle I’ve crossed you off my list 😄

winterwhite Fri 29-Sep-23 15:22:21

Agree with Bluebelle. I still send them too, and hope to receive them.

fancythat Fri 29-Sep-23 16:06:25

Sadly, I now send to less elderly people than I once did.
So the cost has gone down anyway.
So I will continue.

tanith Fri 29-Sep-23 16:19:40

If I can’t deliver by hand then people won’t get one. I told people last year I wasn’t sending cards anymore.

Joseann Fri 29-Sep-23 17:58:38

I enjoy sending and receiving cards. (And guessing the sender by the handwriting!).
75p sounds like quite a lot, but it won't stop me.

sweetcakes Fri 29-Sep-23 18:19:49

I don't do Christmas cards now total waste of money instead to the people who live to far away I message them to tell them that I'm thinking of them.

Kim19 Fri 29-Sep-23 20:36:07

Yes, latest price increase is end of the line for me.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 29-Sep-23 22:21:45

I enjoy sending and receiving cards. It’s the only time of year I’m in touch with some people to exchange news. I have never liked the email variety. It’s lovely to have a proper card to display.

BlueBelle Fri 29-Sep-23 22:25:37

Yay we agree GSM chalk that one up 😊

maddyone Fri 29-Sep-23 22:29:36

I’m with those who enjoy sending and receiving cards. This will be the second Christmas I’ve got no parent to send a card to, and the first Christmas we’ve got no parent to send to as my husband’s father died this year. And so things change. I only have one couple left to send to from my parent’s generation, but I’ll send cards to my friends and family, and some will need to be posted. Others will be hand delivered. I don’t mind the cost, I’ll only use second class stamps anyway.

Witzend Fri 29-Sep-23 22:33:10

I’ll still be sending them, and I like receiving them. They form part of our decorations, blu-tacked to various painted surfaces. Very jolly once they’re all up.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 29-Sep-23 22:44:22

👍🏻 BlueBelle.

Romola Fri 29-Sep-23 23:43:33

Last year I used Christmas cards to thank all the people who sent condolences after the death of my DH. I haven't worked out what to do this year. But I expect I will send them, along with the round Robin letter which people say they like to receive, as I enjoy receiving theirs.

sodapop Sat 30-Sep-23 13:34:00

I love receiving proper cards as well BlueBelle don't like e-cards. I enjoy looking at the cards all through the Christmas period and thinking of the people who sent them.

Ziplok Sat 30-Sep-23 15:08:31

I will still send out some cards, but might cut back a bit. I’ll start buying stamps now so that the cost of them is spread over a few months.

Oldnproud Sat 30-Sep-23 15:43:52

I will stick to doing what I have done for several years now - only sending cards to the couple of people who I know would be upset if they didn't receive one from me, and a couple of others who I want to keep in touch with but have no email address for. One of those who would be upset not to get one from me is my elderly mum, even though she will be staying with us over Christmas itself.

Unlike many of you, I actually hate displaying Christmas cards now. Our tiny house really doesn't lend itself to it - the window ledges are too narrow, as is the mantelpiece, and there isnt room for any sort of furniture that they could be stood on. Wherever I put them, they just look messy! I've taken to putting most of them on top of the kitchen cabinets though they do keep falling off when a door is opened. I make an exception for any cards from the immediate family purely for my mother's sake. As I said, she stays over Christmas and would be quite upset if those were not on show for her to browse.

I prefer to get catch-up emails (or similar) from people who I rarely see but don't want to lose touch with.

DamaskRose Sat 30-Sep-23 16:06:52

I’ll probably cut down on the number of cards I send but I won’t stop sending them to most people. I don’t like emails of the round robin sort, we only get one or two of those. Sending and receiving cards is part of Christmas for us.

Lollin Sat 30-Sep-23 21:06:38

I think it’s sad and that stamps should cost less for cards to help people spread some cheer. However we’ve had strikes close to Christmas before or not had enough delivery staff or something, so it’s another running down of a service and probably goodbye to cards like it’s goodbye to a lot of things that bring that little bit of warmth and cheer.

glammanana Sat 30-Sep-23 21:14:37

It costs more to post the cards than to buy them,in some card shops you can buy 4 x £1.00 they may not be the best but the thought is still there.