Gransnet forums

Christmas

When do you make your first mince pies?

(73 Posts)
Witzend Thu 16-Nov-23 14:33:12

I don’t mean making ahead to freeze, but making to eat!
I don’t make any before 1st December, because frankly dh and I do tend to make 🐷🐷 of ourselves, so a month of them (several batches) is more than enough for our waistlines.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-Nov-23 14:34:58

Made and in the freezer, will bake first batch 1/12 🎄

Ilovecheese Thu 16-Nov-23 14:36:51

Made a dozen on Monday. There are 2 left today.

Fleurpepper Thu 16-Nov-23 14:44:32

A few days before Christmas, and only for 1 week.

NotSpaghetti Thu 16-Nov-23 14:47:19

Like Fleurpepper - not till Christmas week.
Sometimes as late as Christmas Eve.

Redhead56 Thu 16-Nov-23 14:51:49

I make them all year as my mum did just can't resist and never get bored with them.

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 16-Nov-23 15:00:19

Thin end of the wedge though, warm mince pie here, little sip of Bailey's there and suddenly you're down to to the coffee creams at the bottom of the Roses tin.......

AreWeThereYet Thu 16-Nov-23 15:02:59

Fleurpepper

Me too

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-Nov-23 15:03:59

Not usually until Christmas week.

Siope Thu 16-Nov-23 15:20:03

keepcalmandcavachon 😂😂

When I start depends on our Christmas plans, but generally 20th/21st December.

SachaMac Thu 16-Nov-23 15:24:56

I always used to make mince pies and lemon curd tarts on or around Christmas Eve but I haven’t bothered the last couple of years. I might just make a dozen this year. I do prefer the homemade ones.

Smileless2012 Thu 16-Nov-23 15:28:07

Glad it's not just us Witzend. I'll be baking the second weekend in December as we're away before then.

MiniMoon Thu 16-Nov-23 15:51:07

I've been toying with the idea. My husband is not supposed to eat pastry, having high cholesterol, so I've been trying to hold off until nearer to Christmas. I am finding it really difficult though, every time I open the cupboard the jars of mincemeat are the first things I see.

MrsKen33 Thu 16-Nov-23 16:34:26

Made two weeks ago and all eaten

merlotgran Thu 16-Nov-23 16:43:00

I make a batch on the first Saturday afternoon in December. It’s a bit of a family tradition to toast the coming of Christmas with a mince pie and a glass of sherry!

After that I make some for the freezer and another batch in Christmas week.

Joseann Thu 16-Nov-23 16:45:54

Not until December. Not long to go now!

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 16-Nov-23 16:49:57

keepcalmandcavachon - I recognise that slippery slope. I dare not make any yet...oh maybe next week...

DamaskRose Thu 16-Nov-23 17:17:14

keepcalmandcavachon

Thin end of the wedge though, warm mince pie here, little sip of Bailey's there and suddenly you're down to to the coffee creams at the bottom of the Roses tin.......

All coffee creams gratefully received! 😉

Fleurpepper Thu 16-Nov-23 17:25:25

AreWeThereYet

Fleurpepper

Me too

I like seasonal things to be really special- so keeping them to a few days means they do remain 'special' <3

Bella23 Thu 16-Nov-23 18:07:33

Christmas week, or they would disappear.
DH will probably turn up with some bought ones as the chart was in Which today.
I always use a star cutter for the top that a friend bought me when she saw mine boiling out with just a hole in the lid.

Witzend Thu 16-Nov-23 18:08:09

merlotgran

I make a batch on the first Saturday afternoon in December. It’s a bit of a family tradition to toast the coming of Christmas with a mince pie and a glass of sherry!

After that I make some for the freezer and another batch in Christmas week.

I do like a glass of sherry around Christmas time! Just seems to go with the season somehow. Amontillado for preference.

AreWeThereYet Thu 16-Nov-23 18:12:11

I like seasonal things to be really special- so keeping them to a few days means they do remain 'special' <3

And something to look forward to!

Witzend Thu 16-Nov-23 18:15:14

Bella23

Christmas week, or they would disappear.
DH will probably turn up with some bought ones as the chart was in Which today.
I always use a star cutter for the top that a friend bought me when she saw mine boiling out with just a hole in the lid.

I use a star cutter for the tops too - much more reliably tidy results, and less pastry!

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 16-Nov-23 18:27:39

Usually Christmas Eve - but my family have never been mince pie people so this year, as it’s just the two of us on Christmas Day and Boxing Day I will buy a few expensive ones. When it comes to sausage rolls though, it’s a very different matter. I’ve already got sausage meat and puff pastry in the freezer and will be making them fresh from Christmas Eve through to New Year.

JaneJudge Thu 16-Nov-23 18:30:24

I've never made them as no one eats them. My husbands Aunt used to make us some but I don;t she can even be bothered anymore (she is in her 90s so I think that is allowed) I quite like them by the way