Gransnet forums

Christmas

Nativity sets or displays

(95 Posts)
polomint Tue 21-Nov-23 09:01:04

I have a nativity set at home and it's 57 years old and come out around 10th December every year. In all the shops and garden centres, cafe, restaurants etc there is never one on display. Oh yes there are plenty santas, snowmen, elves , gonks and so on but never nativity sets. I find it disappointing that we can't have public displays in case it offends people

Witzend Tue 21-Nov-23 18:58:16

I finished this one earlier today. It’s going to Gdd2’s (C of E) pre-school for their Christmas raffle.

Before I made the first for the older Gdcs, I had found plenty on sale - I particularly remember a Lakeland one - but they were all more or less breakable and little Gds was still at the chuck-and-bash stage.
5 years on, that first one is still intact!

I don’t believe that people or other faiths do find such things ‘offensive’ - IMO that idea generally comes from the sort of local council staff who once wanted to re-name Christmas ‘Winterval’.

I lived for 13 years in Muslim countries* where there was never any suggestion of the locals being offended by signs of Christmas - on the contrary, those I regularly came into contact with enjoyed seeing the decorations in e.g. the hotels. And the year before we finally left, the Royal Oman Police very kindly lent a ceremonial camel so that Father Christmas could arrive at the English Speaking School in impressive style.

He told the children he’d left his reindeer at the airport because they didn’t like the sand!

*an exception would be Saudi Arabia, where I gather that you couldn’t even buy a Christmas card. Whether it’s still as strict I don’t know.

Norah Tue 21-Nov-23 19:14:44

Witzend

I finished this one earlier today. It’s going to Gdd2’s (C of E) pre-school for their Christmas raffle.

Before I made the first for the older Gdcs, I had found plenty on sale - I particularly remember a Lakeland one - but they were all more or less breakable and little Gds was still at the chuck-and-bash stage.

I don’t believe that people or other faiths do find such things ‘offensive’ - IMO that idea generally comes from the sort of local council staff who once wanted to re-name Christmas ‘Winterval’.

I lived for 13 years in Muslim countries* where there was never any suggestion of the locals being offended by signs of Christmas - on the contrary, those I regularly came into contact with enjoyed seeing the decorations in e.g. the hotels. And the year before we finally left, the Royal Oman Police very kindly lent a ceremonial camel so that Father Christmas could arrive at the English Speaking School in impressive style.

He told the children he’d left his reindeer at the airport because they didn’t like the sand!

*an exception would be Saudi Arabia, where I gather that you couldn’t even buy a Christmas card. Whether it’s still as strict I don’t know.

Gracious, Lovely handwork!

Of course 99% of people aren't offended by the beliefs of others!

CanadianGran Tue 21-Nov-23 19:32:39

I have a very small ceramic set, which I put up every year. Sometimes a GC will help. I was brought up going to church every Sunday, but none of my kids are religious. To me it is a reminder of the very heart of celebrating Christmas.

We don't see them often on display here, maybe because it is so multicultural? Christmas decor is full-on, but Santa, snowflakes and reindeer sort.

Primrose53 Tue 21-Nov-23 20:26:10

Witzend

Snap! It’s the best pattern of all the nativity sets I think.
Well done 👏👏👏👏 Few people realise what a lot of work goes into these.

Dickens Tue 21-Nov-23 23:38:31

Here's another family of a different faith who clearly were in the Christmas spirit when the photo' was taken last year.

I've been into their shop a few times - they are lovely people.

Every Christmas Day they open up for a couple of hours and invite anyone who's alone or lonely to "pop in for a mince-pie, and a hug"... there's no compulsion to buy anything. They've been doing this for years.

www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=458054463017511&set=a.458054443017513&locale=en_GB

crazyH Tue 21-Nov-23 23:47:51

I had a beautiful nativity set. When I downsized, I gave it to the Church to use it in their Xmas Raffle. I didn’t follow its trail, because it was too painful. I hope the new owners are displaying it in their home, every Xmas season.

Chestnut Wed 22-Nov-23 00:30:41

This is a paper nativity set bought in the 1990s and used every year for the children and grandchildren. They love putting all the pieces together. The picture is a bit blurry I'm afraid and doesn't do it justice. There used to be lots of paper models back then, you never get them now. I also have a bird table with lots of different birds.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 22-Nov-23 06:55:04

We have a Nativity set that we bought in Bethlehem in the 1980s, I’d like to get one for each of the girls, but they are too expensive now.

When I volunteered for the Red Cross we weren’t allowed to have any religious items in the shop.

keepcalmandcavachon Wed 22-Nov-23 08:37:33

Dickens Thanks for sharing this! You can feel the warmth & joy- true meaning of 'Christmas' x

loopyloo Wed 22-Nov-23 08:45:36

At the end of the day its a story about displaced people surviving as best they can and women giving birth in difficult situations with local support and help from wise and knowledgeable foreign people
Some things never change.

Primrose53 Wed 22-Nov-23 09:31:00

Oopsadaisy1

We have a Nativity set that we bought in Bethlehem in the 1980s, I’d like to get one for each of the girls, but they are too expensive now.

When I volunteered for the Red Cross we weren’t allowed to have any religious items in the shop.

That is quite ridiculous about not allowing religious items in Red Cross shops.

Witzend Wed 22-Nov-23 09:48:11

Primrose53, re the time they take, after seeing one of mine on display for the Christmas raffle, a parent at the Gdcs’ primary asked whether she could pay me to make one for her.

I just said I was very sorry but I didn’t make them to sell. I didn’t add that given the sheer amount of time, I’d want to charge about £500! I’ve made one every year since the first, and usually start in around June, doing them in stages, in between other projects.

Hedgehog2908 Thu 23-Nov-23 11:31:18

I have a ceramic set in a little stable which is very precious to me.
It was part of a Christmas display in my local pet shop. I admired it and said so to the lady owner. She said it had been her son's and he had recently died. She insisted that I took it home with me for my son who was about 3 at the time. I was very moved.
The shop closed down shortly afterwards. I get it out every year and think of that lady & her kindness ( my son is 21 now).

sundowngirl Thu 23-Nov-23 11:47:23

I have one I bought in Nuremberg's Christkindlesmarkt in 1967. It's beautiful and comes out every year. My children and grandchildren love it. It is still in perfect condition other than one lamb only has 3 legs

nanasam Thu 23-Nov-23 11:58:59

My son lives in Australia, not that that's an excuse for displaying this nativity set. They just don't do Christmas like what we does!

Witzend Thu 23-Nov-23 12:33:31

nanasam

My son lives in Australia, not that that's an excuse for displaying this nativity set. They just don't do Christmas like what we does!

Brilliant! 😂
(I still love the traditional ones, though.)

eazybee Thu 23-Nov-23 12:42:41

I don't know if it still pertains bu the Red Cross didn't sell Christmas cards that wished 'A Happy Christmas.' So I don't buy their Christmas cards.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 23-Nov-23 13:06:37

I have the nativity set which was my parents, which came my way when we had to clear the house after Mum passed away. Plastic/resin figures but nicely done in a traditional style. They should be set in a handmade wooden stable made by Dad, but that unfortunately disintegrated, and is awaiting repair by Mr GO. However, he is fully occupied by current work he is doing on changing pipework etc prior to upgrading our heating boiler, so I think it won't be making an appearance this Xmas but hopefully next year.
Many years ago, a newly married friend who was somewhat strapped for cash, but extremely creative, made a set of tiny little nativity figures for their home, fashioned entirely out of different coloured foil sweetie wrappers!

Gwenisgreat Thu 23-Nov-23 13:13:34

Anyone who is offended by what we did in Great Britain - should stay out of the country!! That's, of course, if they are genuinely offended!!

Musicgirl Thu 23-Nov-23 13:22:59

I am a practicing Christian and love Nativity sets as a reminder of what Christmas is all about. Witzend, your knitted set is absolutely beautiful - you are really talented at knitting. A couple of years ago, I treated myself to a knitted set from eBay and it takes centre stage in the decorations.
When I had just started school, we had a Nativity set at school and I loved it. We had never had one at home as we were non-conformists and I don’t think it was a common thing for non-conformists to have in their homes in those days, although it is now. My mother made a set with the stable made from a shoebox and straw from the little boxes that came with the models from a certain marmalade manufacturer. Baby Jesus and the manger came from my dolls’ house and the animals from my toy farm. She made other characters from bits and bobs and the star was made from tinfoil. This Nativity set was brought out every year for the next fifteen years or more. It meant so much to me.

Iam64 Thu 23-Nov-23 13:23:32

Gwenisgreat / I don’t understand why you link nativities with ‘what we did in great Britain’

My only understanding of sensitivities is that people of Muslim faith don’t welcome what they see as idols - thst is religious figures. I’m in an area with a large Muslim community / all our schools display nativities no probs

grandtanteJE65 Thu 23-Nov-23 13:31:20

OP if you want to buy a nativity set search online - there are plenty for sale there, especially if you not only search using the words nativity set, but use Weinachtkrippen or Portales de Bélen as search terms as well.

You can find a very large range from the exhoribantly expensive to the ridiculously cheap.

Amazon.de is a possiblity too.

Teresa62 Thu 23-Nov-23 13:44:18

I've got that one. I used it at Christmas with each of the classes I taught.
I made a nativity set from a kit where the characters are printed on fabric that you cut out, sew together and put stuffing in. We mislaid the baby Jesus many years ago, but in his place my son put the knitted animal gift from his reception teacher at Christmas .....a baby worm/caterpillar which sits on a brown rectangle "earth" that doubles as a blanket !!!

granjan66 Thu 23-Nov-23 14:32:54

I lived in Germany for 5 years and bought a beautiful wood nativity there. It must be 40 years old. It comes out every Christmas and my 8 yr old granddaughter loves moving the figures around.

Soniah Thu 23-Nov-23 14:49:30

Nonsense to say we can't have public displays for fear of offence, there are always plenty, methinks you've been reading the Daily (hate) Mail