Gransnet forums

Christmas

Nativity sets or displays

(95 Posts)
polomint Tue 21-Nov-23 09:01:04

I have a nativity set at home and it's 57 years old and come out around 10th December every year. In all the shops and garden centres, cafe, restaurants etc there is never one on display. Oh yes there are plenty santas, snowmen, elves , gonks and so on but never nativity sets. I find it disappointing that we can't have public displays in case it offends people

M0nica Thu 23-Nov-23 15:14:35

Do any of the people who blame everythingon the Daily mail, actually read the paper regulalry?

If you do not, how come you know so much about what it reports and how?

I do read it, also the i, Observer and Daily Telegraph on Saturdays. I believe that one's reading of the media should be comprehensive not limited to just those papers that share your views.

tattygran14 Thu 23-Nov-23 15:30:07

I have a very small nativity set, always put under the tv.
The other year we couldn't find baby Jesus, so I made Him from marzipan, wrapped in some tissue. The next year we had a competition to make the best one. It was very disappointing when the original plastic one was found wedged in a tiny tree, it had been there all the time, unnoticed. We just had to eat that year's contestants...

Primrose53 Thu 23-Nov-23 15:48:23

Witzend

*Primrose53*, re the time they take, after seeing one of mine on display for the Christmas raffle, a parent at the Gdcs’ primary asked whether she could pay me to make one for her.

I just said I was very sorry but I didn’t make them to sell. I didn’t add that given the sheer amount of time, I’d want to charge about £500! I’ve made one every year since the first, and usually start in around June, doing them in stages, in between other projects.

I volunteered in a charity shop for nearly 15 years. Just one morning a week starting in approx. 1996. We had ladies who knitted these beautiful nativity sets and we would put them in the window to sell and even back then could get £50 for a set. Then we changed to raffling a set and we got several hundred pounds each time. Such kind ladies making them for us.

NotSpaghetti Thu 23-Nov-23 16:21:46

Gwenisgreat

Anyone who is offended by what we did in Great Britain - should stay out of the country!! That's, of course, if they are genuinely offended!!

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean.

What did we do please?

dustyangel Thu 23-Nov-23 17:47:26

I saw the first shop window one here today. They used to appear slightly incongruously in every single shop in early December but the custom seemed to get less. Fortunately it seems to be increasing again.

I’ve got a very old plaster of paris one that belonged to my grandmother. The dog ate baby Jesus but we were able to find a replacement! The one we use now is glass and was part of a window display that we saw when we first came out here. The shopkeeper was amazed I wanted to buy it but willingly got it out of the window and wrapped it up.

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 23-Nov-23 18:17:29

What a lovely thread. I have been admiring your work, Witzend, and been warmed by your post, Dickens.
My nativity set story relates to the simple wooden set bought when my youngest daughter was three. She was disgruntled with baby Jesus being made from one piece of wood, incorporating the cradle, which meant that he couldn't be removed.
One morning we came down to find that the wooden holy infant had been replaced with a lego baby..
The baby was never found and the likely culprit did not confess. Thirty plus years later, the set comes out and the grandchildren delight in hearing how naughty Someone was.

icanhandthemback Thu 23-Nov-23 20:25:19

Gwenisgreat

Anyone who is offended by what we did in Great Britain - should stay out of the country!! That's, of course, if they are genuinely offended!!

I think you will find that most people of different faiths or coming from different countries don't give any negative thoughts to us celebrating Christmas, Easter or any other Christian tradition. It is mainly the people in charge who decide that it would be offensive and as most of these are white people who originate here, it is them being terribly politically correct who influence the decision.

Chestnut Fri 24-Nov-23 00:06:06

I have to say the thing I like about my paper nativity set is that it has the full works, including shepherds, lambs, an oxen, a donkey, three Kings with their gifts, and even a beautiful angel and the star attached to the roof of the stable. It has it all. So when I think of replacing it with a proper nativity set I usually think ''where's the angel?' or 'where's the shepherds and lambs?' because they are often not included. So I end up using the paper one each year.

SuperTinny Fri 24-Nov-23 00:27:06

Primrose53:

We have a knitted nativity as well (lovingly knitted by my late mum).
A few years ago I streamlined all of my decorations and decided the knitted nativity took up too much room. I didn't want to get rid of it and instead took it into work where we set it up on the windowsill of the office window which had a lot of passing footfall.
I've changed jobs and offices since and had forgotten all about my nativity set until it turned up in my new office this week with a note from my former colleagues.
I've brought it home again because I now have a grandson who I think might like it!!

Witzend Fri 24-Nov-23 10:09:39

Chestnut

I have to say the thing I like about my paper nativity set is that it has the full works, including shepherds, lambs, an oxen, a donkey, three Kings with their gifts, and even a beautiful angel and the star attached to the roof of the stable. It has it all. So when I think of replacing it with a proper nativity set I usually think ''where's the angel?' or 'where's the shepherds and lambs?' because they are often not included. So I end up using the paper one each year.

I thought my knitted set could do with an ox (it already has sheep and a donkey) so I found a pattern online. Alas, the poor old ox was not nearly such a success as Jean Greenhowe’s donkey - instructions were not nearly so clear and explicitly detailed.

IMO JG’s patterns are pretty much foolproof - as long as you follow them to the letter.

0ddOne Fri 24-Nov-23 12:39:01

eazybee

Yes I thought it was probably a Jehovah's Witness. I know they call themselves Christians but they are extremely selective about which scriptures they choose to believe.

In my experience all "christians" are selective about what they choose to believe!

Amin1111 Fri 24-Nov-23 12:41:45

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Parsley3 Fri 24-Nov-23 12:57:14

eazybee

Yes I thought it was probably a Jehovah's Witness. I know they call themselves Christians but they are extremely selective about which scriptures they choose to believe.

My relative who is a Christian but does not celebrate Christmas is a member of a Pentacostal church. I googled an explanation for Jehovah's Witnesses and Christmas and it is similar to my relatives belief. There is no mention of 25th December in the scriptures.

Primrose53 Fri 24-Nov-23 13:11:42

Chocolatelovinggran

What a lovely thread. I have been admiring your work, Witzend, and been warmed by your post, Dickens.
My nativity set story relates to the simple wooden set bought when my youngest daughter was three. She was disgruntled with baby Jesus being made from one piece of wood, incorporating the cradle, which meant that he couldn't be removed.
One morning we came down to find that the wooden holy infant had been replaced with a lego baby..
The baby was never found and the likely culprit did not confess. Thirty plus years later, the set comes out and the grandchildren delight in hearing how naughty Someone was.

That reminds me of a Mr Bean xmas special when he couldn’t resist fiddling with a nativity set and put a plastic dinosaur into the scene which was going to eat baby Jesus. It was so funny.

Witzend Fri 24-Nov-23 13:57:37

eazybee

I don't know if it still pertains bu the Red Cross didn't sell Christmas cards that wished 'A Happy Christmas.' So I don't buy their Christmas cards.

I hope they didn’t say Happy Holidays! I hate that - Season’s Greetings is bad enough on what is after all a Christmas card - if it is.
If however the card has no actual Christmassy elements, just wintry ones or e.g. snowdrops, I’ll just about allow Season’s Greetings. 😉

Chestnut Fri 24-Nov-23 14:23:35

Parsley3

eazybee

My relative who is a Christian but does not celebrate Christmas is a member of a Pentacostal church. I googled an explanation for Jehovah's Witnesses and Christmas and it is similar to my relatives belief. There is no mention of 25th December in the scriptures.

Not only is there no mention of the date in the Bible but apparently 25th December is not possible because it would be too cold for the shepherds to be out in the fields. JW have also said very clearly that 25th December has been mixed up with pagan celebrations and that is why they don't celebrate it. The other reason is because it is the death of Jesus that is significant, not his birth. So these are all the reasons why some Christians don't celebrate Christmas.

Chestnut Fri 24-Nov-23 14:46:15

The knitted sets are absolutely gorgeous and I would love to have the patience but not sure I could manage it. I haven't knitted since the 1970s when I made a green jumper! I would be very slow both in understanding the pattern and in dexterity too. If I could teach my granddaughter to knit then maybe she would get onto it?

I'm impressed that they seem to have most things, although I would like a donkey, cow/oxen, angel and star. I notice the donkey is separate but available, so if only there was an angel and a star. The cow/oxen I suppose is the least important.

Witzend Fri 24-Nov-23 23:05:23

Chestnut, I’m sure you’d soon find star and angel patterns online, or I dare say there are plenty available wherever decorations are sold.

Witzend Fri 24-Nov-23 23:10:13

And I’d just add that the JG Nativity pattern doesn’t require any special skill - anyone who can cast on and off, knit, purl, and do simple inc. and dec., could make it. Her instructions are so detailed and explicit that if you follow them exactly you can’t really go wrong.
It is obviously very time consuming, though, and you do need a lot of different colours, which can be expensive.

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Nov-23 23:12:08

Chestnut

The knitted sets are absolutely gorgeous and I would love to have the patience but not sure I could manage it. I haven't knitted since the 1970s when I made a green jumper! I would be very slow both in understanding the pattern and in dexterity too. If I could teach my granddaughter to knit then maybe she would get onto it?

I'm impressed that they seem to have most things, although I would like a donkey, cow/oxen, angel and star. I notice the donkey is separate but available, so if only there was an angel and a star. The cow/oxen I suppose is the least important.

The mention of knitted Nativity sets is taboo in this house blush

Primrose53 Sat 25-Nov-23 09:17:44

Callistiemon21 Why?

Witzend Sat 25-Nov-23 09:34:31

Primrose53

Callistiemon21 Why?

Best not to ask!! 😉

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Nov-23 10:32:16

Witzend

Primrose53

Callistiemon21 Why?

Best not to ask!! 😉

I can hear their little voices calling to me from the cupboard under the stairs 😁

Witzend Sat 25-Nov-23 10:39:34

Oh, the pitiful cries of, ‘Please, please sew us up! We’ve been waiting so long, here in the lonely dark, all unloved!’ 😰
(Excuse me while I go and find a tissue…)

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Nov-23 10:42:40

😁😁😁

I'm knitting for charity at the moment ...
Well, not this exact moment of course!