Gransnet forums

Christmas

A Boxing Day disaster! šŸ¶

(62 Posts)
Witzend Wed 27-Dec-23 11:25:37

Dd and family are looking after a friendā€™s puppy for a week while theyā€™re away - he arrived yesterday evening. Heā€™s a lovely friendly pup and the Gdcs adore him (their cats arenā€™t quite so keen!). but after weā€™d left last night he chewed through the tree lights flex and electrocuted himself!!

In fact heā€™s fine, but dd is very upset about her tree lights!

GrannyGrunter Wed 27-Dec-23 11:30:30

I know it is awful but this made me laugh. The puppy electrocuted itself but your daughter is upset about her lights.

At least the puppy is okay, I wonder how upset your daughter's friend would have been if you had handed her a dead puppy.

Iam64 Wed 27-Dec-23 11:35:27

This is exactly what my mumā€™s sheltie pup did. Mum, me and my 2 sisters all watching tv, until the tv and lamps all ent off and the pup panicked. He was fine thankfully

We are all much more cautious now

Shelflife Wed 27-Dec-23 11:37:53

Goodness me , that is one lucky puppy !

Joseann Wed 27-Dec-23 11:41:36

Naughty pup!
It's that awful feeling when your heart stops to check he's OK, then you start telling him off!
The voltage on tree lights is luckily very low.

BigBertha1 Wed 27-Dec-23 13:32:06

Oh poor puppy I wonder if he will remember it and not do it again next year.

vampirequeen Wed 27-Dec-23 15:26:15

Sorry but this make me laugh too. The thought of a puppy chewing a cable when he's being looked after is like a comedy script.

I'm sorry you're daughter is upset but the story cheered me up.

Visgir1 Wed 27-Dec-23 15:30:18

Sorry that was funny, glad puppy is okay. That's a sort of story that will always be told by you and your DD for many many years.

Witzend Wed 27-Dec-23 15:59:56

Apparently he just yelped, but almost immediately fine. Poor DDā€™s tree looks very sad without its lights!

dogsmother Wed 27-Dec-23 16:31:52

Oh witzend I feel for themā€¦..we are looking after a puppy here over Christmas and new year too and it has been chaotic at times. Iā€™ve caught her chewing table and chair and us too of course. We have mostly been on top of toileting but there have been a couple of accidents.
In all it confirms that I wonā€™t be having another any time soon. Maybe an older rescue but our puppy days are over !

Witzend Wed 27-Dec-23 17:33:01

Hero of the hour son in law has rewired the lights! Iā€™ve told him to award himself a šŸŗ.

keepcalmandcavachon Wed 27-Dec-23 17:38:20

Oh no Witzend! So glad naughty pup is ok, is he now a very curly poodle?

ordinarygirl Wed 27-Dec-23 17:41:28

New lights can be bought - but happy puppies are not that easy to replace.

Luckygirl3 Wed 27-Dec-23 18:00:04

We had a house rabbit that did the same thing!

Juliet27 Wed 27-Dec-23 18:18:02

With a young puppy, the lights problem should maybe have been considered in advance. So glad heā€™s ok

Iam64 Wed 27-Dec-23 18:22:07

Juliet - I posted our similar experience earlier, adding how much more cautious we are now. I avoided mentioning crate training because this is a light hearted thread. But - Max chewing through an electric cable when we were chatting, assuming he was asleep is one of the things that influenced me to crate train my last 5 puppies/rescues.
Stressing here - always positive/safe space/never punishment or time out
Peace to us all šŸ™šŸ½šŸ¶šŸ•

Witzend Thu 28-Dec-23 10:20:22

Juliet27

With a young puppy, the lights problem should maybe have been considered in advance. So glad heā€™s ok

Well, the pup wasnā€™t theirs, they were doing the owners a favour, and (I was there) we thought weā€™d put away everything chewable. I doubt itā€™d have been possible to ā€˜put awayā€™ the lights cable of a tall, real Christmas tree, which TBH unlike so much else, wouldnā€™t have seemed exactly chew-friendly anyway.

Having had a pup ourselves years ago, who chewed half the face off a beloved old teddy, we were pretty well aware of the potential problem.

Sparklefizz Thu 28-Dec-23 10:25:20

My daughter's labrador, when a puppy, managed to pull open her bedside drawer and eat half a packet of Nurofen, so that was an expensive trip to the vet's.

Witzend Thu 28-Dec-23 15:21:52

šŸ¤® alert! Do not read if squeamish, butā€¦

ā€¦a neighbourā€™s elderly Labrador, who we look after now and then, found in our guest bathroom, the (used) incontinence pad a 90 year old aunt of mine had very recently left in the bin.

Visiting dog evidently had a thoroughly enjoyable time shredding it (and I dare say eating some) all over the landing carpet.

Joseann Thu 28-Dec-23 17:00:28

šŸ¤®
And babies' nappies too!

We had a border collie who used to open the fridge door on the seal part, and scoff all the contents. We moved on to retrievers after that because they aren't so clever.

Chardy Thu 28-Dec-23 17:57:07

We used to shut the puppy up in the kitchen at night. When our Sky box ceased to work, the engineer was called in. He quickly found she'd chewed her way through the Sky wire, cable-clipped to the wall, behind the kitchen door (which we never shut with us inside!). We had very red faces. Sky engineer was lovely, and amused.

Iam64 Thu 28-Dec-23 19:00:15

These puppies causing mayhem stories are just the thing to make us smile. My Labrador was angelic so far as labs go, only eating one pair of specs, a couple of skirting boards and famously the meds that regulate my atrial fibrillation, yes they were in the drug cupboard high on the wall. A strip fell out as i took out calpol for my 18month old grandson, running a scary high temp.
He and his 3 year old brother sleeping over so mummy and daddy could go out. The calpol would have been 3am. We all slept and I went down at 6am to see the strip shredded. My pup was huge but only 15 months. I phoned the emergency vet. Phoned mummy and drove the boys home so I could go to the emergency vet hospital. Poor mummy didnā€™t get her lie in, she got the next dose of calpol.
I took my lab and 4 year old spaniel to the vet hospital. Both checked over, no worries, lab kept in for observation, I collected him that evening. All the staff in love with him and he was no worse for wear.
My grandson recovered and his parents were entertained, the rotters, by my exhausting night/day

Tenko Thu 28-Dec-23 19:52:04

These puppy stories have made me smile . Thankfully the ops puppy was ok . My last dog once chased a rabbit into a field which had an electric fence . She yelped but was ok and she was cautious about fields after that .
My current puppy spent a day last week with our dog boarder . He nicked a corn on the cob from the worktop and was taken to the emergency vet for sickness meds . Thankfully heā€™d chewed it , not swallowed it while . When I phoned the insurance company, they said labs definitely need insurance!!

Iam64 Thu 28-Dec-23 19:53:51

My vet once described his lab as ā€œmaking eating the sofa his lifeā€™s workā€

MBM Fri 29-Dec-23 11:29:04

Thank Goodness he didnā€™t end up with a Curly Perm,