Gransnet forums

Christmas

Ahead or behind?

(54 Posts)
fancythat Sat 03-Oct-26 12:11:35

I know there are some who dont start on anything to do with Christmas, until 1 December.
Or later.

For those of us who start a lot earlier, are you ahead or behind?

I am ahead. Partly to do with circumstances.
When I go out, there seem to be more people than usual, both on the roads, and shopping.

Is that just around here? Spreading cost of living? Weather is still good? People go out for coffee more, and then browse?
Or starting getting ready for Christmas earlier?

winterwhite Sat 03-Oct-26 15:21:48

Like Gingster, I love Christmas but don’t allow myself to start doing anything about it till after Bonfire night. And in the days when I made my own cake and puddings, mine were always as good as anyone else’s.😂

MawsRosie Sat 03-Oct-26 15:22:06

fancythat

^Who says you ‘just have to get on with things’? Do exactly what you want, and never mind what other people think you should be doing^

Agreed.

Eggzackly - who needs pressure?
That said I have been buying a book of 8x2nd class stamps with my shopping each week 😇😇😇

Fallingstar Sat 03-Oct-26 15:25:13

Life has been too unpredictable in the past couple of years, and not in a nice way, so have stopped planning ahead with very much at all. Christmas will happen but am not even giving it headspace at the moment.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sat 03-Oct-26 15:31:47

Fallingstar 💐
I can understand.

Cossy Sat 03-Oct-26 15:33:19

I’ve done some thinking!

The best Christmas for us all in our household would be to see dear sweet Henry and his mummies and their sausages all warm and cosy in their new home together! 🙏🩵

fancythat Sat 03-Oct-26 15:34:02

It would.

Oreo Sat 03-Oct-26 16:08:36

Do posters set a price on gifts for families and friends or just buy things as they see them?
Do your families have amazon wish lists?
Do you favour online Christmas shopping to take the stress factor away or do you prefer to shop in your High St or shopping mall?

Oreo Sat 03-Oct-26 16:09:33

Do your families prefer a voucher or money or a wrapped gift?

Oreo Sat 03-Oct-26 16:11:06

Talking to a work colleague the other day, it seems that they usually give Christmas gifts of actual cash, is this a thing now?

Usedtobeblonde Sat 03-Oct-26 16:13:26

All my shopping is online now as I can’t get to the shops easily or walk about if I do.
My family are mostly cash or for close family bank transfer.
That suits me.

Jaxjacky Sat 03-Oct-26 16:33:30

Oreo I buy online, our family supply wish lists, I’ve never given money but occasionally vouchers, so wrapped gifts. Larger items may be hidden about our house, the (disguised) wrapped present contains a written clue.
The latter tended to happen more when the grandchildren were younger, obviously they are here on the day for it to work!

winterwhite Sat 03-Oct-26 16:42:05

I dislike giving money or vouchers, I find it soulless, and think that what counts most almost is things piled up under the tree, but I do it for grandchildren between about 15 and 18.

At the university stage and beyond I often buy them things for their rooms, flats or whatever. Sometimes, and this may be one of those years, I buy everyone books. So much easier to wrap up ànd I hate wrapping up.

Oreo Sat 03-Oct-26 16:51:05

Surely there isn’t a right or wrong way to supply gifts? It’s more about giving the person something they want isn’t it?
I can understand teenagers prefer to have money.

Erica23 Sat 03-Oct-26 16:51:36

For the first time ever I’ve started already, only a couple of bits. I’d get everything now if I could but the grandchildren have no idea what they’d like yet.
The adults usually give me ideas for themselves, so not too bad.

Oreo Sat 03-Oct-26 16:53:57

I buy non Jewish friends a Christmas gift ….they give me ideas of what they want.

Fallingstar Sat 03-Oct-26 16:56:34

FriedGreenTomatoes2

Fallingstar 💐
I can understand.

Thanks for that xx

fancythat Sat 03-Oct-26 17:01:52

So much easier to wrap up ànd I hate wrapping up.

I have more than usual to wrap this year.
Not looking forward to it.
And some happen to be unusual shapes!
Someone told me about there being longer Christmas paper.
So bought some of that.

Oreo Sat 03-Oct-26 17:05:04

Buy rolls of wrap fancythat cheaper and easier.

crazyH Sat 03-Oct-26 17:16:30

Don’t like Xmas - we used to have brilliant times when the kids were little. Divorce put paid to that. It’s all so different now.
But, for the sake of the AC and GC, I put on a show.

Ziplok Sat 03-Oct-26 17:27:19

I bought some cards recently, some from the RNLI shop and some in a church I visited. That is the extent of my preparation so far.

Present buying is very limited these days as wider family agreed with us when we suggested to not buy presents for each other - it solves a lot of problems.

Hugs to all of you who are going to find this Christmas particularly difficult. 💐

Cossy Sat 03-Oct-26 20:26:04

fancythat

It would.

thanks Thank you xx

Cossy Sat 03-Oct-26 20:27:24

Fallingstar

Life has been too unpredictable in the past couple of years, and not in a nice way, so have stopped planning ahead with very much at all. Christmas will happen but am not even giving it headspace at the moment.

💕💕

JenniRen Sat 03-Oct-26 20:31:21

Usedtobeblonde

All my shopping is online now as I can’t get to the shops easily or walk about if I do.
My family are mostly cash or for close family bank transfer.
That suits me.

Me too, Usedtobeblonde

I try to buy a small gift to open but mostly it is money or a voucher or something advised by a parent for a grandchild, available online.

Calendargirl Sat 03-Oct-26 20:33:40

Oreo

Talking to a work colleague the other day, it seems that they usually give Christmas gifts of actual cash, is this a thing now?

Money for everyone.

Bank transfer to family in Australia, no idea what any of them want nowadays, and GC grown up.

The same for family over here.

DH and I stopped buying for each other years ago.

TillyTrotter Sat 03-Oct-26 20:57:03

Not being religious it is a low-key event in our family. No grandchildren either.
Just one pleasant day with nice food and treats to eat and drink.