Gransnet forums

Classics

Worst gift ever?

(309 Posts)
Lynne59 Sat 03-Nov-18 14:50:11

What's the worst present you've ever received, either for Christmas, birthday or another occasion?

Mine was a small box of Dairy Milk, from a close friend of many years.... mine to him was a golf bag, to put his clubs in (he was an Estate Agent, so not on minimum wage, like I was then)

Grammaretto Sat 03-Nov-18 17:45:07

When I was about 8 I opened a birthday present from my incredibly rich godmother. It was a very cheap biro. My DM explained that was why that family were rich.

gillybob Sat 03-Nov-18 17:50:47

For my 21st from my parents a toastie maker grin

(To make my life easier apparently)

gillybob Sat 03-Nov-18 17:53:26

Also from my late MIL a second hand pair of gloves ( they were hers ) grin

Missterious Sat 03-Nov-18 17:57:06

A box of cheese (the cheap supermarket variety pack) from a neighbour. Thing is, we had left it under the Christmas tree for a week as we didn't know what it was. No wonder the dog kept sniffing it.
Incidentally we gave her some very nice room diffusers and candles.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 03-Nov-18 18:03:07

A string of cheap fairy lights from my mother to me and an "Advent calendar" that you were supposed to be able to win a prize on, but all the dates were duds as a present to DH.

The giver was my mother, who admittedly was house-bound and old at the time, but I would honestly have preferred her to suggest dropping Christmas presents entirely or to have been given a gift token.

Oldwoman70 Sat 03-Nov-18 18:08:08

When I was 13 or 14 my parents gave me a home perm kit for Christmas! I had asked for a bike, which my brother got - his third!! It has become a family joke that whenever I am told how lucky I am I say "but I never got my bike"!

Maggiemaybe Sat 03-Nov-18 18:17:34

My MIL, who loved me really, regularly bought me Ferraro Rocher, which I hate (but still force down smile) and XXL nylon waist slips when I was a small size 10.

We once travelled down to meet some French friends in London and bought some cheap sweets for their children at the services en route. They gave us a presentation set of a handmade cut glass decanter and a bottle of rare vintage cognac. blush

aggie Sat 03-Nov-18 18:37:29

I have just been given a large bag of manky windfall apples sad

MiniMoon Sat 03-Nov-18 18:40:01

When I was 13 I really wanted a transistor radio. I had two younger sisters who also asked for certain things. My 10 year old sister asked for a driving test board game. You can guess what I received. I had a real struggle not to show my disappointment. I hope my parents never realised their mistake.
A few years ago, from DH for Christmas, an electric toothbrush. (What was he trying to say?)
I do look after my teeth, honest!!

Maggymay Sat 03-Nov-18 18:53:09

DH Christmas present from his Mother one year was a pair of pillow cases.

kathsue Sat 03-Nov-18 18:56:04

I once got a roll of black plastic binliners for a secret santa present. I suppose they were useful.

Mamissimo Sat 03-Nov-18 21:09:32

Ive had to compose my features on several occasions......I’ve received a frying pan, a Haynes manual so that ‘you can do your own oil’.....a baking sheet and a potato peeler....and from the same dear man, an iPad, an emerald ring....

I haven’t a clue what this year will bring but I’m being good ?

MissAdventure Sat 03-Nov-18 21:22:25

grin

MissAdventure Sat 03-Nov-18 21:27:02

Not a gift, but a good few Christmases ago, my then partner (of 9 years) made a big show of saying "Oh! I nearly forgot, I have your card - i put it away so it didn't get bent".
He presented it to me with a flourish, and looked really pleased with himself.
Inside, it said "To miss A, best wishes.
Kevin."

callgirl1 Sat 03-Nov-18 23:06:44

Our wedding present from my in-laws was a pair of blankets, SINGLE bed size, with "seconds" stamped on the wrapper.
After we`d been married 7 years, hubby went on a day trip to Blackpool with his workmates. He came home saying he`d brought ma a present back...…………...it was a shopping bag!

callgirl1 Sat 03-Nov-18 23:07:32

Me, not ma

Lilypops Sat 03-Nov-18 23:14:13

A plastic tomato sauce bottle and salt n pepper like you would find in a wimpy bar wrapped in a plastic bag was a joint Xmas present for me and my Husband from a family relative, I had bought lots for her her 4 kids and husband , we were just married and we were very short of money,The following year I didn't buy them anything , only bought for her kids and didn't spend a lot on them either,

annep Sat 03-Nov-18 23:28:26

A Mary-Rose thimble was funny but well intentioned. The meanest was a freebie out of date Boots No 7 bag with mini cosmetics .. I knew it was a freebie because I had been given one the previous year when I bought 3 items.

52bright Sat 03-Nov-18 23:33:21

We had a lovely mongrel half sheep dog for 16 years who I missed terribly when she died. By this time I was working full time and we both agreed it would be unfair to get another dog. The following Christmas a large parcel appeared under the tree ...it was a life size look alike furry dog which sat next to me and I could pet just like my precious Vicky. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

phoenix Sun 04-Nov-18 00:10:52

From my beloved Mr P, at Christmas, a beautifully wrapped toilet seat!

And another year, something that was was the right size and shape to be an ipad or similar tablet type thing, but was actually a digital air compressor for inflating car tyres! confused

Bellanonna Sun 04-Nov-18 00:16:18

That’s hilarious Phoenix !

phoenix Sun 04-Nov-18 00:27:26

In fairness, I had been complaining about the seat in the downstairs loo, which had a tendency to try to throw you off sideways, but really..................

Bikerhiker Sun 04-Nov-18 00:47:36

A pressure cooker with a fleece inside. We could eat hearty stews and I could wear the fleece. Both of which would keep the cold out and save putting the heating on. He had to go!

MissAdventure Sun 04-Nov-18 00:59:03

grin

Beechnut Sun 04-Nov-18 07:57:38

Polly48, Kittye A glue gun and one of those garden kneelers to help you get back up.