Gransnet forums

Classics

Worst gift ever?

(309 Posts)
Lynne59 Sat 03-Nov-18 14:50:11

What's the worst present you've ever received, either for Christmas, birthday or another occasion?

Mine was a small box of Dairy Milk, from a close friend of many years.... mine to him was a golf bag, to put his clubs in (he was an Estate Agent, so not on minimum wage, like I was then)

narrowboatnan Tue 27-Dec-22 19:50:28

Theoddbird

A gift should just be accepted with the caring it was given with. However small or large that is not of consequence. A gift is a gift... It should never be thought of as the worse gift you have received...

Yes, but some of these seem to have been given with no care whatsoever, just as an afterthought which is both insulting and hurtful to the recipient

I was given a set of kitchen utensils (fish slice, slotted spoon, ladle etc) in a plastic carrier bag for my birthday one year from my first husband. Very imaginative - and very last minute since he popped into Woollies on his way home from work because he’d forgotten it was my birthday until the postman brought me the birthday cards from my sisters and parents in the morning before he’d left the house.

happycatholicwife1 Wed 28-Dec-22 19:01:45

I asked dear husband for a fur coat the first year we were married. He instead gave me a herringbone patterned heavy wool car coat with hood.
I was pretty petite at the time, and it was almost too much to carry on my frame. He had mistaken my request for fur to mean a request for a really warm coat. That never happened again, and I got the fur coat for the next Christmas.

dwgw6062 Tue 03-Jan-23 16:16:35

The worst birthday present I received was from my best friend at school, a necklace that I’d ‘lost’ in the school changing room a few weeks earlier. I was speechless, especially when the person that originally gave it to me was there when I opened it.

Curling Tue 24-Oct-23 22:35:46

Not me, but a colleague got a dustbin for Christmas from her brother once.

Curling Tue 24-Oct-23 22:38:13

I qualified as a chef, amd had already been cooking in a pub for a year, when a friend's mother gave me a book.....'Basic Cookery for One'.

GoldenLady Mon 01-Apr-24 01:41:13

A framed picture of a Scottish castle, given to me by my daughter after she and her husband had been on a trip to Scotland. I know it sounds unappreciative, but I've never been to Scotland myself (England is the closest I've been), and I didn't particularly like the picture, which was gloomy and foreboding. I don't know what possessed her to think that I would like that picture.
But since it was from her. I did hang it up, and it remained on my bedroom wall for about 10 years. I finally took it down and replaced it with something else. People should never give works of art as gifts, unless they know for a fact that the person likes that particular work. Otherwise, the gift turns out to be a big headache. Taste in art is a very personal thing.

Priya90 Fri 19-Apr-24 08:13:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Aldom Sat 20-Apr-24 10:18:45

Priya90

Worst gift is giving an indian wife a western dress. I will be great if you offer an ethnic indian wear from Mirraw site to your wife , it will be the best gift you can offer to her.

Reported - advertising.