Gransnet forums

Competitions

NOW CLOSED Gransnet Local Christmas listings

(36 Posts)
LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 13-Nov-13 18:02:25

Our Gransnet Local Christmas categories are ready and eagerly awaiting some festive listings. Which calls for a competition...

As well as being a good citizen by spreading the word about any fabulous Christmas events in your area, anyone who creates a listing and posts a link to it on this thread will automatically be entered into a draw to win a mystery bundle of books.

To find your local site, just click here. The winner will be chosen on the 15th December. Happy listing!

janeainsworth Wed 13-Nov-13 19:22:15

Christmas Carols in the Cathedral Church of St Nicholas in aid of Crisis

Minty Thu 14-Nov-13 09:17:30

https://www.facebook.com/HenleazeChristmasFestival

LyndaW Thu 14-Nov-13 09:56:19

Christmas bauble barn at Doddington Hall

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 14-Nov-13 11:17:30

Hi Minty thanks for your link! Do you think you could add the details of the event to make a listing on the GN Local Bristol site? Or, if you have already, just post the link to the local listing rather than the FB event? Thanks smile

If anyone has any problems, just give us a shout!

janerowena Thu 14-Nov-13 12:54:59

www.blackthorpebarn.com/barn-events/british-crafts

A vast Christmas fair in Suffolk in a huge old rambling barn, with different exhibitors every weekend, starting this week. Cafes, trees for sale, huge ornament shop.

harrigran Thu 14-Nov-13 16:26:15

Dickensian Christmas festival in Ulverston, Cumbria.
www.dickensianfestival.co.uk

Minty Thu 14-Nov-13 18:54:47

Sorry is this better www.henleazechristmasfestival.co.uk
have tried to put it on local but cant seem to change it?

Stansgran Thu 14-Nov-13 20:21:29

Lumiere in Durham city now on.
Food fair 7th December.

NannaAnna Fri 15-Nov-13 00:01:51

Great idea LucyGransnet but so far only 2 of the above 7 events have been posted on a GN Local site hmm
As a local editor still up at midnight I will therefore take it upon myself to give forum members a helping hand using one of my sites as an example smile ...
What you need to do is go to your local site (See Lucy's link in her OP) click on the 'Christmas' link under 'Things to do' on the left hand side, which will bring you to this point:
local.gransnet.com/worthing/christmas
You'll see a blue button on the right hand side of the page for 'Add a listing' and Hey Presto! you're away ...

janeainsworth Fri 15-Nov-13 08:09:25

I should have added that the Crisis Carol Concert that I posted a link to is in Newcastle upon Tyne, and there's also one somewhere in London.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 15-Nov-13 12:12:30

Thanks NannaAnna , yes if you find a Christmas event that you think would be good, please find your local Gransnet site here.

Once you've found it, click on Christmas on the left-hand side, under Things to do

Choose your Christmas category - is it a market? a show? a restaurant doing Christmas lunch? - and click on it (there may not be anything there yet when you get to the next page, but don't worry)

Click add a listing - the blue button on the top-right - and a few fields will come up. Please fill these in with details of your event (feel free to take the blurb about it from the website itself), and when you're ready click post listing at the bottom.

Your listing should now be finished - all you need to do is copy the link from the address bar...and paste it here! It's important that the link is one from the Gransnet Local site that will take us to your listing rather than an external website, and then that's it-you're entered.

glammanana Fri 15-Nov-13 12:44:34

Some lovely things going on out and around Chester this Christmas and one that will be sure to interest Grandparents is the Chester Zoo Magic Lantern Event which takes you and your family for a delightful magical stroll around the Zoo at dusk with Lanterns which have been made by your family,on the way meeting up with Father Christmas and his helpers.[[ www.chesterzoo.org/must-sees/christmas-lantern-magic ]]

glammanana Fri 15-Nov-13 12:47:02

www.chesterzoo.org/must-sees/christmas-lantern-magic woops sorry you can now link up.

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 15-Nov-13 15:29:00

Hi glammanana that sounds lovely! Could you list it on the Chester site and then send us the link to that (the link should take you to the Gransnet Local Chester site, rather than the zoo website)? We'd really like people to come across these events while browsing Gransnet Local, so your listing it on GN Chester would be great grin

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 15-Nov-13 15:56:40

...and here's one I did earlier!
local.gransnet.com/hertfordshire/christmas-markets/33364-christmas-frost-fair

NannaAnna Fri 15-Nov-13 20:03:31

And here's one I did earlier too wink

local.gransnet.com/worthing/christmas-markets/33356-christmas-market

There is so much on, and us Local editors can't possibly know everything that's happening, which is why it would be great it local Gransnetters could add events they know about or are involved in.

It only takes a few minutes to add a listing, and don't worry if you can't add a photo, because we can probably find one to fit the bill smile

janerowena Fri 15-Nov-13 20:55:21

I'm not sure that mine came out ok, because my review disappeared when I tried to preview it. I think now is possibly one of the times when I long for a 'delete' button.

local.gransnet.com/suffolk/christmas-markets/33368-blackthorpe-barns-christmas-market

janerowena Fri 15-Nov-13 20:56:26

Aaaah - it would appear that the review may need removal!

janerowena Fri 15-Nov-13 20:57:39

I love Hatfield House, the frost fair must be brilliant.

Aka Fri 15-Nov-13 21:50:59

Birmingham Frankfurt Christmas Market

Minty Sat 16-Nov-13 10:38:21

local.gransnet.com/bristol/christmas-events/33288-henleaze-christmas-fair

NannaAnna Sat 16-Nov-13 13:02:05

I must share this one, because it is just magical:
local.gransnet.com/worthing/christmas-activities-for-children/33154-a-traditional-christmas-at-amberley-museum
I'm sure PRINTMISS will concur smile

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 18-Nov-13 11:08:56

Thanks to all who have posted links to their Gransnet Local sites back here and entered themselves for the prize draw - some lovely events coming up. If anyone has any questions, do shout!

LucyGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 18-Nov-13 11:09:36

p.s janerowena - review all sorted wink