Gransnet forums

Competitions

NOW CLOSED: What do you bake with your grandchildren? Tell us and win an Elmer apron and book set.

(59 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Jan-16 14:21:10

Do you bake or cook with your grandchildren? If so, let us know your favourite recipe and you could be in with a chance of winning this lovely Elmer apron and hardback book (apron fits 2-5yr olds).

The competition ends on Wed 13th Jan at midday.

threesugars Wed 06-Jan-16 14:35:36

Gingerbread men are always popular with my two. Anything that needs mixing (and later tasting!) actually. They also like mixing in the chocolate sprinkles when I make them warm milk with chocolate 'dust'.
And they LOVE Elmer... grin

Greenfinch Wed 06-Jan-16 15:20:18

We make scones because they are quick and easy and always seem to work out OK.I can do one batch with one of them and another with the twin. They only take 10 mins to cook and so are ready to eat fairly soon. They like them "raw" ie no butter jam or cream .I always use sour milk which is a good way of up using milk that has gone off.

Greyduster Wed 06-Jan-16 15:30:47

Ah! The little grey jam tarts of yore! When i started baking with my GS (now a whisker short of nine) it all came flooding back - and whereas DH, as a dad, was Taster in Chief, he fell back, as grandad, into tasting the grey overworked pastry and burnt jam as if he'd never been away! And they were all, yes, DELICIOUS!! GS has now progressed beyond jam tarts (thank goodness!) to shortbread, fairy cakes, muffins and, recently, melting moments. Our forays into gingerbread have been a complete disaster though. Like his mum and uncle before him, he loves the left over cake mixture and butter cream, and has a cavalier approach with the piping bag. He's now outgrown his "nanny's little helper" apron but i'm afraid he wants one like the one i bought DS for Christmas (Help for Heroes - it had a stretcher bearer on the front, which is not meant in any way to reflect the quality of what comes out of his kitchen!). I hope whoever wins the lovely Elmer apron and books will have lots of fun,and that my GS won't grow out of baking with his nanny any time soon!

LullyDully Wed 06-Jan-16 16:24:39

The GC are 10 and 9 now, so can reach the top of the stove. They make omelettes, spaghetti Bolognese, cakes, pies and crumbles. They peel vegetables and love to help cook anything.

I must say it is easier to cook by myself but they do need to learn.

We made a Christmas cake this year. GS made the cake one weeks and GD iced, marzipaned and decorated it the next.

Cooking is all about confidence, science and a few skills .

More importantly you can eat it after, the best bit.

There are cooks perks to look forward to.....licking the bowl and getting praise from the family.

LullyDully Wed 06-Jan-16 16:26:27

Oops just read the age restriction!!!! Sorry.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Jan-16 16:35:27

Forgot to add blush that the competition ends on Wed 13th Jan, midday. Getting peckish reading these now...

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Jan-16 16:40:19

LullyDully There's no restriction as such. But your GCs might not be too impressed with a book for very little ones - and a rather tight-fitting apron wink.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 06-Jan-16 16:44:03

But as there are quite a few with older grandchildren, we're going to add a second prize: a copy of Mumsnet's family recipe book 'Top Bananas'!

NanaandGrampy Wed 06-Jan-16 16:49:10

We have a future Great British Bake Off winner at out house.

He's 4 and already is a talented baker. No box mixes for us but there is one prerequisite....... Whatever we bake MUST then be decorated !!

We have cupcakes, fairy cakes and muffins that have been works or art(ish).

If you've never had an iced mince pie studded with jelly tots, let me tell you ....you haven't lived!

Iced sausage rolls are one better glossed over ( excuse the pun).

I am just waiting for the day we move onto savoury pies :-) when that day comes Grampy can be chief tester ( it's a privilege I'll forgo!) .

Nannystar Wed 06-Jan-16 17:04:14

My Granddaughter aged 10 is a far better cook than me now so she helps me and her mum to bake. However my Great Granddaughter is only 3 so I am teaching her to bake fairy and butterfly cakes. Obviously the best part for her is the icing and licking the bowl but she is progressing and as I mind her on a regular basis we will progress together. Next week we are attempting a lemon drizzle cake - wish us luck!

LullyDully Wed 06-Jan-16 17:31:20

Thanks for that Lara. We have just given their little pinnies to their cousin who is 2.... haven't cooked with him yet.

MamaCaz Wed 06-Jan-16 18:57:55

My two are three (nearly) and 4.5. Recently, they've been making bread with me - we share the dough between us to knead and I swap my portion for theirs several times so that it all ends up reasonably evenly kneaded. They love pulling it and stretching it, and if they decide to start playing with it as if it were play dough, it really doesn't matter. I have to say that the Tiger Loaf that we made a few months back was better than any bread that I've ever made on my own smile

Purpledaffodil Wed 06-Jan-16 19:40:47

Just made a favourite recipe with 5 yr old GS. Simple boiled fruitcake. Lots of maths in weighing and measuring, together with oven setting temperature. Stirring fruit mix over low flame sounds tricky, but works with close supervision. Best of all, it is a very good tempered recipe which is always successful and very popular.

grannyqueenie Wed 06-Jan-16 22:58:01

I've enjoyed baking with all my grandchildren, now aged 6-13, at different times over the years. Cookies, fairy cakes, biscuits and scones have all gone down well (literally!). They love making colourful icing, decorating with sprinkles and edible glitter. I've always encouraged them to share what they've made so they have enjoyed popping to various elderly neighbours of mine to distribute their goodies, but we always have to save some to take home at the end of the day. Such fun!!

Nana3 Thu 07-Jan-16 00:17:11

My DGD is 12. She is confident on her own now with banana cake and Victoria sandwich. She sold cake at school for a young enterprise challenge and made £19, I was so proud. She makes cake for coffee morning at church.
She can do pastry with a little help.
She makes very good pancakes for us at weekend, on her own, I keep an eye on her though during cooking.
We are starting on meals now, preparing vegetables for a pasta sauce and generally helping out. Having her company is a delight.
I'm sure baking and cooking gives her confidence, it's a fantastic skill to have.

joannapiano Thu 07-Jan-16 09:17:55

I have very little interest in cooking, but our 3 year old DGD beats the eggs for scrambled egg on toast, with gusto.
Her 7 year old sister keeps threatening to teach me to make a successful cake.

cornergran Thu 07-Jan-16 19:42:56

We bake cakes, biscuits - anything that can be iced and decorated. Pizza sometimes, help with vegetable preparation, mashing potato. Thinking about it anything that makes a mess..........

wondergran Thu 07-Jan-16 19:58:05

My little grandson is allergic to eggs so we miss out on the fun of making the usual fairy cakes etc (we aren't having much success with decent egg free cakes yet). So instead we make pizza together. We enjoy kneading the dough, rolling it out and trying to think up as many different combinations of toppings as we possibly can. So far we have made some delicious ones but we definitely didn't like the mushroom, onion and chocolate one.....oh the endless imagination of a 4 year old eh!!!

Sadiesnan Fri 08-Jan-16 15:30:23

My four year old granddaughter loves little chocolate fairy cakes, so we make those. Just before Christmas we made two dozen and then she decorated them. The icing was chocolate butter cream and the decorations were snowmen, holly, butterflies and a variety of sprinkles. We had a little break half way through for fish fingers and baked beans. I'm amazed how long a little four year old could concentrate on what we were doing. When she got home she asked her daddy when she could come again, on her own without mummy and daddy.

Nonnie Fri 08-Jan-16 16:00:02

Ours are quite young so it is anything they can shape themselves or use cutters with and anything they can decorate. They really love to cook with us or anyone else. The 5 year old loves to weigh out the ingredients as well.

Humbertbear Sat 09-Jan-16 09:05:33

My four year old grand daughter loves to make fairy cakes and bread rolls. We shape them into snails and crocodiles and her siblings eat them when we get home from school. She also made her nursery teacher a play dough pizza 'that inflated the teachers tummy'.

Annie29 Sat 09-Jan-16 09:35:59

When they were very young the first thing we made was jelly!
We now make Gingerbread men,cup cakes and pizza. They enjoy it also a bit of maths with weighing ingredients, lots of fun had by all.

GrannyGlyn Sat 09-Jan-16 10:05:34

I bake with my 7 year-old granddaughter and 3 year-old grandson and baking cupcakes is one of their favourite things to do.

I think it is a great opportunity to talk about the science and the maths and have fun at the same time.

We scoop a piece out of the middle of each cake and squeeze some jam in, then put the piece back in and cover the join with buttercream. They love to have a go with the piping bag.

They love taking them home to Mommy and Daddy.

The little one loves to knead bread, it always gets a good bashing!

Gangang Sat 09-Jan-16 10:09:02

Gingerbread men, Victoria sandwich, assorted biscuits, flapjacks are all favourites with my three eldest grandchildren (5, 4 and 3 years old respectively). All of whom enjoy weighing, mixing, levelling out and of course 'licking' the bowel afterwards. We all love sharing the chores (including washing up!)