Gransnet forums

Competitions

NOW CLOSED: Win £100 John Lewis voucher with The Lion Inside

(280 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Jun-16 10:41:18

From the creator of the known and loved Bright Side lifestyle brand, Rachel Bright, and illustrator of Oi Frog!, Jim Field, comes a feel good rhyming story about one little mouse trying to make himself heard and discovering along the way that even the smallest of us can have the heart of a lion.

The Lion Inside is perfect for fans of Giraffes Can't Dance. This stylish book from two contemporary stars really is something to shout about - it will make you laugh, cry and want to read it every bedtime.

Share your tips for boosting confidence in small children on this thread below for a chance to win a £100 John Lewis voucher and a signed copy of The Lion Inside.

This competition ends midday on 8 July 2016.

The Lion Inside can be purchased online and from all good booksellers.

nicole101 Fri 08-Jul-16 00:24:32

Let them know that you are listening to them and will always be there when they need your support.

clarabella3 Fri 08-Jul-16 00:01:44

plenty of praise and encouragement.

jamielmdjs Thu 07-Jul-16 23:37:50

praise even the littlest of things. don't help too much - let them try things for themselves. comfort when things don't go well but encourage trying again and again.

Lovingmum Thu 07-Jul-16 23:25:45

It's important to listen carefully to what they are trying to say and not dismiss things or laugh at them. Always tell them everyday how brilliant they are, and how proud you are of them!

diva1977 Thu 07-Jul-16 23:11:39

Dont tell that what they doing is wrong. Instead show how they can do it better. Always listen and never criticise.
Instead of saying they wrong , tell them theres other ways to do things and then show them. Celebrate every success

rosie100 Thu 07-Jul-16 23:01:11

Try things out together- from skipping to egg and spoon races, Children love to watch and learn from a grown up they respect, so when they begin to copy the adult, lavish child with honest praise or show them how to get better until they are satisfied with the end result. You will be rewarded with big sunny smiles and a child that wants to try it out again and again

NicDav2012 Thu 07-Jul-16 22:55:20

You can boost a child's confidence by always giving them lots of praise and by taking the time to listen and talk to them.

Penelopa024 Thu 07-Jul-16 22:45:05

Take interest in what they are saying.
Praise good behaviour and achievements .
Participate in their activities and allow them to take a lead role .

tracyliz Thu 07-Jul-16 21:45:57

Always let them be brave and do things themselves like walking along the wall without you holding their hand...you know you are still a split second away from catching them if they fall but they will gain confidence by doing it themselves !

basram21 Thu 07-Jul-16 21:07:39

Listen to what they have to say, answer their questions and always cheer on their successes and even if they don't succeed in some things, find the positives in what they did do.

Weston127 Thu 07-Jul-16 20:42:46

All of the above and never ever let a day go by without telling them how much you love them.

sas2688 Thu 07-Jul-16 20:36:52

Lots of praise and actively engage in what they are interested in. Listen to what they have to say. You may be the only one listening but to them it may feel they have the world as their audience

baconbap Thu 07-Jul-16 20:27:08

always listen and encourage, but let them know it's ok to make mistakes

Isis1981uk Thu 07-Jul-16 20:11:17

Actively listen when they talk - make eye contact & pay attention. Repeat back what they say to show you understand..it makes them feel important & respected.

Sappysar Thu 07-Jul-16 19:59:57

Praise for even the smallest achievement goes a long way to boosting a child's confidence

Kangakate Thu 07-Jul-16 19:54:01

Letting them make decisions, not major things, but 2 options that you wouldn't mind doing depending on what they choose

hughese Thu 07-Jul-16 18:42:05

Praise effort rather than achievement as that is what you want to encourage.

MARLSCOTT Thu 07-Jul-16 18:31:29

Raise a confident child by focusing your attention on the child during play. If your body is with your child but your mind is at work, your child will sense that you have tuned out, and neither one of you benefits from the time together. Your child loses the value of your being with her, concluding that she is not important. You lose the opportunity to learn about and enjoy your child—and to relearn how to play.
I remember the fun six-month-old Sarah and I had in our “play circle.” I sat her facing in front of me with a few favorite toys (mine and his) making a circle around her with my legs. This space contained her and provided support in case she, as a beginning sitter, started to topple sideways. Sarah had my undivided attention. She felt special and so did I. Making all those goofy baby noises is a lot of fun - Thanks for the Giveaway!

keshimonster Thu 07-Jul-16 15:14:09

Take the time to listen to the child and congratulate him/her on what they have accomplished every time. oO not be disengaged from them by looking at your phone or television whilst they are trying to get your attention.

Nana3 Thu 07-Jul-16 14:53:16

Listen to them, say yes when possible, encourage independence, praise when they are good, tell them you love them, set an example of kindness. Be positive.

Lesevans6 Thu 07-Jul-16 13:56:09

Always show them how important they are to you, and hug them a lot.

louiseyrollins Thu 07-Jul-16 12:04:33

Plenty of encouragement and praise. Telling them daily how useful and special they are

silversand12 Thu 07-Jul-16 11:36:38

I would say make sure you remember to tell them when they're doing something well, and not just when they're playing up. It's so easy for the simple things you expect of them to slip by unnoticed, and then reprimand them for anything they do wrong. For example if they are sitting quietly being patient make sure you compliment them and tell them so smile There is nothing like praise for boosting confidence!

sylviagill Thu 07-Jul-16 11:06:54

Encourage them to help you do basic chores like cooking, baking and gardening, seeing things grow and producing their own food are confidence boosting and productive life skills.

Daph Thu 07-Jul-16 10:45:55

Remember not to say "be careful or you will fall", instead "hold tight".
If you put in the idea of falling your child is more likely to