Gransnet forums

Competitions

NOW CLOSED: Win £100 John Lewis voucher with The Lion Inside

(279 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 09-Jun-16 10:41:18

From the creator of the known and loved Bright Side lifestyle brand, Rachel Bright, and illustrator of Oi Frog!, Jim Field, comes a feel good rhyming story about one little mouse trying to make himself heard and discovering along the way that even the smallest of us can have the heart of a lion.

The Lion Inside is perfect for fans of Giraffes Can't Dance. This stylish book from two contemporary stars really is something to shout about - it will make you laugh, cry and want to read it every bedtime.

Share your tips for boosting confidence in small children on this thread below for a chance to win a £100 John Lewis voucher and a signed copy of The Lion Inside.

This competition ends midday on 8 July 2016.

The Lion Inside can be purchased online and from all good booksellers.

Alea Thu 09-Jun-16 10:55:54

Don't talk down to them but always listen and answer questions to the best of your ability, bearing in mind what that age can handle. Praise achievement and say how proud you are ,but don't ever laugh at them or "parade" them showing off what they can do. For many children this can be excruciatingly embarrassing and actually patronising.
Love them with all your heart.

password71 Thu 09-Jun-16 11:57:03

Praise them and listen to them. Tell them they can tell you anything and they can be anyone they want to be.

Let them make decisions: Don't ask your toddler what he wants for dinner, but offer cheesy pasta or chicken nuggets and chips. At the same time, let your child know certain choices are up to you.

Focus on the Glass Half Full: If your child is upset because they didn't the the lead in the school play, don't say, "Well, I think you're a star." Instead, say, "I can see how disappointed you are. Let's come up with a plan for how you can increase the chances of getting the part you want next time".

Nurture Special Interests: Try to expose your child to a wide variety of activities, and encourage them when they find something they really love. Kids who have a passion whether it's football or cooking, feel proud of their expertise and are more likely to be successful in other areas of their life.

Above all love them and tell them they are special to you and will always be there.

equ1ne Thu 09-Jun-16 13:36:22

Futher any interests or apptitudes a child shows;allow them to have the time to express themselvesProvide a nurturing expressive home life where a child is not afraid to try and maybe fail

rosesarered Thu 09-Jun-16 13:40:59

Listen to them more for a start.Take their worries seriously ( even if the worries are not serious).Encourage them to speak up for themselves.

joannapiano Thu 09-Jun-16 16:21:59

I always stress to our eight DGC, that everyone is different in the world, have different talents and abilities, and that is a good thing.
And then find a talent to praise, no matter how small.

pinkwallpaper Thu 09-Jun-16 17:04:50

Let them try anything they want to do within reason and if they cannot manage they can be told it was good to try and maybe when they're a little older they can try again. Never compare them to siblings, each child is different.

grandMattie Thu 09-Jun-16 17:04:55

Nurture any talent in a child, and encourage them by telling them how wonderful/good or whatever that talent is - whether academic, musical or just making people happy!

Give them space; give them the opportunity to make their own decisions - not like "What would you like for dinner" but "what shall we do today? GO for a walk or make mud pies?" also try to let them have some sort of money sense.

Take them for a walk and ask them if they feel it is safe to cross the road, and so on.

Grannyknot Thu 09-Jun-16 17:11:07

Provide the security of a stable and loving home environment.

Ameliorate anxieties.

Encourage exploring.

simone1 Thu 09-Jun-16 17:58:13

HEAR WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY LISTERN . DO LOTS THINGS TOGETHER ..HAVE LOTS FRIENDS ROUND.. ALWAYS MAKE THEM FEEL SPECIAL ..
JUST LET THEM EXPRESS THEMSELF FOR WHAT THEY ARE NOT WHAT YOU WANT THEM TO BE

Regalo Thu 09-Jun-16 21:15:55

Love them unconditionally and show your love . Be consistent in your expectations but always give explanations. Have fun together and share experiences. Never underestimate their powers of observation, understanding and communication. Talk to them, explain things, ask them questions. Give them opportunities to take responsibility, to make decisions,to 'help' you, to do things together, to do things independently but with your support. Give them your time...read with them, play with them, explore places together, relax together. Small children are like sponges....the more they absorb, the more they understand about life and their place in the world, the more confident they become.

Bengo2005 Thu 09-Jun-16 22:14:51

Listen, affirm, congratulate (when deserved) and support in every way you can

gillybob Thu 09-Jun-16 22:37:30

I was never, ever told I was clever. I was never told I was pretty,cute, beautiful...... I could go on and on.

My parents were never the type to cuddle,(except in the days when my mum bless her, was dying and then something changed). My dad was strict. I was frightened of him and always tried to seek his approval, although it never came. My mum was in awe of my dad. She worshipped him and no matter what, his decision was final.

I have gone against everything (and by god I mean everything) I was brought up with. I praise my children and grandchildren for every good thing they do. I tell them they are wonderful, beautiful and so very clever. My gorgeous grandchildren are oozing confidence and as far as I am concerned...... job done.

ddraig123 Thu 09-Jun-16 22:39:55

Play various card games together an board games too. This can teach strategy, numeracy, logic and communications skills among others, which can increase their confidence when it comes to dealing with other problems.

caro8500 Thu 09-Jun-16 23:29:31

Involve children in decision making and give them choices. It makes children feel important to be involved in family decisions and helps build confidence, I give my son choices and show him i value his opinion by listening to him and taking on board his opinions. I consult him on things such as what meals we might have that week, to what we should do at the weekend.

Elrel Thu 09-Jun-16 23:40:00

Listen to them. Take what they say seriously, never brush away their worries. Laugh with them, never at them. Let them come to you for hugs, never insist on them.

grannyqueenie Fri 10-Jun-16 00:51:25

Listen to them, laugh with them not at them. Take their concerns seriously, praise them, help to know they are special and unique but most of all be prepared to give them your time..a precious thing in a busy world.

grannyqueenie Fri 10-Jun-16 01:00:02

Listen lots, criticise little and always show an interest in what they are doing. Encourage them to see their own potential. Give them your time, something hard pressed parents haven't always got. Tell them you love them.

maryandbuzz1 Fri 10-Jun-16 07:42:58

Always be interested in whatbtheybhave to say.
Praise them.
Encourage friendships

jeapurs54 Fri 10-Jun-16 09:16:22

When your child has come home saying they did not get the prize for the best fancy dress, they thought they were the best, say that they are the best in your mind but someone else has to win they all have to have a chance of being a winner to make more happy faces.

scrapgran Fri 10-Jun-16 09:26:24

Show an interest in what they do and praise the results. Take them out to enjoy the countryside, pick up sticks, stones etc anduse their imagination as to what they might become.If they do pictures ask them what they have drawn and encourage the conversation even if you can't see that it looks like they say

dragonfly63 Fri 10-Jun-16 09:59:27

Don't shout at or punish children without explaining why you disapprove of what they are doing and giving an explanation of what they should do instead. Try to find something to praise in their actions and distract them from bad behaviour by being positive about something else.

carow48 Fri 10-Jun-16 10:14:21

Really listen to them and ensure they feel comfortable with everything they do x

cheryl88 Fri 10-Jun-16 10:34:37

Always listen to your child do not brush them aside they are important..

titleyann Fri 10-Jun-16 11:06:49

Comfort them when they cry, cheer when they achieve something no matter how small and discipline them when they are naughty. Tell them that they can be what ever they want to be. But most of all tell them they are the most precious thing in the world.