Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a copy of Chris Paling's new book, Reading Allowed **NOW CLOSED**

(80 Posts)
joannapiano Tue 07-Feb-17 16:05:56

George Orwell based his book Animal Farm in the village of Wallington, in Hertfordshire,quite near us.
I think he lived there just before the War.
I studied the book at school, and find parts are still relevant, today.

Miriam Tue 07-Feb-17 16:00:22

Shamed to say my town is Hemel Hempstead and it is featured in Crap Towns. Not my ideal claim to fame!

GeminiJen Tue 07-Feb-17 10:51:19

I live in Gullane in East Lothian, near Aberlady.
The book I'd like to nominate is Nigel Tranter's Footbridge to Enchantment. This is a non fiction account: the personal anecdotes and reminiscences of the author round the shores of Aberlady Bay, where he did his daily walking and writing. Chapters include: "Two Paths to Enchantment", "Flotsam and Jetsam", "Boundless Dune Country", "The Belligerent Swan", "Puzzles of the Tide's Edge", "A Canine Optimist", "In Search of Jovey Gray", "Flights of Freedom", and "Threats of Flooding".
When I was a teenager, he spoke about his work at a meeting of my youth group, and I've been hooked ever since!

obag Tue 07-Feb-17 09:20:05

My town is Crewe in Cheshire, The book is The Boy I love by Lynda Bellingham, it is a love story centered around the Lyceum Theatre in Crewe.

LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 06-Feb-17 16:30:02

Following last week's guest post about local libraries by author Chris Paling, we'd love to hear about the books that feature your local area.

Is it a Brontë masterpiece set on the moors of Yorkshire or a recent debut telling the story of a widow in a quiet Essex village? Well-known or obscure, we want to know!

Tell us the name of your town or city and the name of the book (or books) in which it's featured for a chance to win Chris' book Reading Allowed: True Stories and Curious Incidents from a Provincial Library.

Competition closes Monday 20 February.

For more on all things local, visit your Gransnet Local site.