Gransnet forums

Competitions

Best summer reads - win £400 of brilliant books

(239 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 13-Jun-17 16:17:13

What is summer without a good book? And when it comes to good books, we have many excellent suggestions.

Here is a round-up of some of the best new reads for the summer holidays. One very (very!) lucky person can win the lot. All the details right here

To enter simply tell us about your best summer. It can be in as many (or few) words as you like. Prize draw will be made at midday on Weds 19 July.

My best summer... Now it's over to you

gd Thu 15-Jun-17 16:14:24

A cycling holiday in Normandy after my O levels.

Angelwings Thu 15-Jun-17 16:18:53

My best summer was in 1996 when my dc was born and for the first time in 16 years I had time off working full time job just to enjoy my baby and make some lovely memories. I took the whole summer off and it was a lovely warm one. Baby and I got to go out every day all over the place, the beach, the countryside even the back garden was just a joy. I didn't have a car as I had sold it to afford to be off work but we walked or got the train and thoroughly enjoyed the absolute freedom of that time.

Flowerpower22 Thu 15-Jun-17 16:24:53

The summer of 76 - so hot! I was just about to start sixth form and was dating my now husband. Love was in the air.

pamelaJEAN Thu 15-Jun-17 16:37:40

My best summer was in the sixties. My friends and I went camping in Devon, it was the time of Flower Power what a lovely time we had. I can remember wearing bell bottom white hipster trousers and a navy and white striped top with flowers in my hair. Cooking sausages over a camp fire singing mamas and papas music, drinking scrumpy. It was the first time I had used Imperial Leather soap, felt so posh going into the shower block with my purple fluffy towel and block of imperial leather. Things seemed so simple then.

cluckyhen0 Thu 15-Jun-17 16:42:49

My best summer would have to be 2001 - I was a young mum and wife and we had recently moved to Germany with the Forces. The days were hot and long, there was no internet to distract people and the evenings were full of love and laughter with our friends who all had kids the same age. It#s not that long ago but it was so carefree!

andywedge Thu 15-Jun-17 17:43:08

Various awesome holidays as a small child but the best is when my wife and I went to Zakynthos and got married

Horatia Thu 15-Jun-17 17:51:19

1970 the year we married. My husband was in the Army but there was no Quarter available for us, so we were allocated a rented cottage in a nearby village. It was called Holly cottage and had a thatched roof, the villagers were friendly and it was situated in the Cotswold with lanes to meander down and beautiful pubs to stop for refreshments. Haven't seen a lovelier village before or since.

leanfun Thu 15-Jun-17 18:06:50

We had many wonderful summers with our children but a very memorable one was the first year we drove our three children to Scotland. We had a wonderfull time driving up the east coast. One day we had a whole sunny beach on the Black Isle all to ourselves. A local lady said don't tell people about the sunny day.

lucycakeface Thu 15-Jun-17 19:07:28

I treasure every holiday that I have. It's what life is all about, travelling to different areas and countries with people that you love, hot sun (if you are lucky) and NO DIET!

Rock17 Thu 15-Jun-17 20:11:25

Like others, the long hot Summer of 1976, when I was in the sixth form, the sun just shone and shone- and every day seemed to go on forever.

Humph Thu 15-Jun-17 21:46:03

Holidaying in Dorset with my first serious girlfriend

gaynorouvrir Thu 15-Jun-17 22:02:04

The summer of 1966 was the best ever.
About 16 of the family went for a 2 week holiday to the Isle of Wight. In the middle of the holiday England only went and won the World Cup !!
The whole family watched it in a crowded pub.
Being all from the East End of London and supporting West Ham the icing on the cake was the fact that the scorers that day were both from 'our' club...... Woohoo !!
My dad bought me my first beer that day at the grand old age of 12 and I remember having to help carry him and a few uncles to the mini coach we had hired.....happy days !

liz1970 Thu 15-Jun-17 22:32:20

I loved my summers when my sons were little, especially our first holiday abroad.We went to the south of France and they all absolutely loved it!

nancytownsend Fri 16-Jun-17 03:31:17

I'm a bit of a hot-house flower so am still nostalgic for the summer of 1976 - hot, dry and went on forever. All I needed was lawn, blanket and book and I was happy. All summers should be like that.

suzied Fri 16-Jun-17 05:01:18

1967 in the guise if improving our German A level my friend and I travelled across Germany by train. We ended up in Berlin at the time of the wall. We wore tiny mini dresses and sling back shoes . Met so many handsome young men in uniform. Went drinking and dancing . A great time of fun and freedom .

annemac101 Fri 16-Jun-17 09:43:48

My best summer was in 1973. My first holiday without my parents, I went to Blackpool with my best friend and we rented an apartment for two weeks. I say apartment it was one room with a bed that folded into the wall and a shared bathroom. We had a ball during those two weeks, I also met my future husband during that holiday and next year we will have been married for forty years. My friend and I spoke of that holiday often about how daft we were. We even ran out of money and took a job in a transport cafe for a few days. Sadly my friend passed away very suddenly just a few weeks ago. I'm so glad I have wonderful memories of her including that best summer ever.

otherwiseknownasGrandma Fri 16-Jun-17 09:54:55

When my girls were small we used to pack all our belongings into the caravan, get the ferry across to Holland and just go wherever the mood took us. We used to take 3-4 weeks off work (those were the days!) and the days were full of sunshine, swimming, picnics and running around in the fresh air.

obag Fri 16-Jun-17 10:18:50

The summer that I met my Husband 1975.

Breeze81 Fri 16-Jun-17 12:47:59

The best Summer I had was in 2002 when I decided to quit my job and go solo travelling around South East Asia. I intended to stay just 6 weeks but I ended up travelling for 6 Months. It taught me how to be self-sufficient and more confident. It’s never too late to be spontaneous and take risks.

Charleygirl Fri 16-Jun-17 13:24:29

I think every summer when I was a child. My friends and I used to have picnics in a local wood, paddle in a small river, pedal on our bikes, spend time in one friend's personal shed and in those days we were without a care in the world. I used to leave home early morning and return early evening, tired but happy- those were the days of the long school holidays and our rear door was rarely locked.

carol810 Fri 16-Jun-17 15:12:56

My best summer was the one when my daughter was born 1978 and although it was very hot that year it was great because after I had her I could take her out in her pram without feeling guilty for not being inside doing housework.

sylwright Fri 16-Jun-17 16:13:56

The summer of 1966 when I went to stay with my Aunt and Uncle in North Wales. My Aunt and Uncles grandchildren were also there, who were similar age to me (14), along with 2 other cousins who were also similar age. We had a fantastic time just exploring the area and the beach and playing together. I still remember that summer with lots of happy memories.

rachelmi Fri 16-Jun-17 16:38:35

1976 the drought year summer. Long long hot days and holidays with the guides camping and having loads of fun before the responsibilities of adulthood hit home!

dragonfly63 Fri 16-Jun-17 16:53:35

My best summer was 2010. My son, who had recently returned safely from a horrific six month tour of duty in Afghanistan, whisked his girlfriend off to Iceland and she returned as his fiancée as he had proposed under the Northern Lights. When they flew back to Heathrow, we were in London on a lovely break that I was lucky enough to win. Our accomodation was upgraded to a Penthouse apartment overlooking the Thames, where we all met up to celebrate, with my daughter joinedus for a wonderful meal in Chelsea and lots of laughter into the early hours of the morning. The happiness that we felt having our son home and looking forward to the wedding lasted well into the following months.

Elrel Fri 16-Jun-17 17:09:56

Summer 1960, first non-family holiday. First summer as a working 'adult'. A villa in France on the Mediterranean near the Spanish border. Let's Twist Again, Volleyball, wine, rhum babas. Then hitching through the magnificent Pyrenees, paella, melons, fresh sardines, more wine, music and Catalan dancing. Stars above the campsite at night, tinkling of goatbells to wake us. Down to the village to buy fresh bread with no Spanish and a large denomination peso note.
It was good to be young!