Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a gorgeous flower bouquet and a copy of The Good Menopause Guide by Liz Earle **NOW CLOSED**

(280 Posts)
estergransnet (GNHQ) Thu 08-Mar-18 09:55:11

To celebrate the publication of Liz Earle’s brand-new lifestyle book, The Good Menopause Guide, we’re giving away 10 copies - plus one lucky winner will also receive a gorgeous bespoke flower bouquet worth £100 from award-winning English flower farmers and florists, The Real Flower Company.

The Good Menopause Guide is Liz Earle’s ultimate guide to looking and feeling your radiant best throughout menopause, and is filled with guidance on diet, how to balance hormones, myths and facts about HRT and much more. With it, her goal is to empower women to embrace menopause and start conversations about their experiences as, for many, it can be a very difficult time.

So, for your chance to win, tell us - what is your top tip for feeling your best during menopause?

The Good Menopause Guide is published by Orion Spring and is available online and from all good booksellers.

Please post your entry below by midday Thursday 5 April.

Usual T&Cs apply.

lizzieD1910 Fri 09-Mar-18 13:39:39

I am struggling with what to do at moment,thats why I would love to win this prize.I have found sage helps me,but would love to learn from this book,so fingers crossed.

mo3733 Fri 09-Mar-18 13:59:16

plenty of hydration and exercise

Telly Fri 09-Mar-18 14:28:12

Keep positive and active. Lots of women go through the menopause with few symptoms. It's not something to worry about, just part of life's rich pattern!

Buddie Fri 09-Mar-18 14:30:26

Layered clothing, preferably in natural fabrics and the cool flannel, especially at night as others have said. Try not to think of it as an excuse not to do things but adopt new strategies if necessary. Every one is different so you have to work out what works for you and not just absorb all the negative comments of others.

Yogagran62 Fri 09-Mar-18 14:49:15

Making time for myself, cutting down on caffeine and doing regular yoga is working for me at the moment.?

Sjonlegs Fri 09-Mar-18 14:49:39

I had to have an emergency hysterectomy on my 40th Birthday (Happy Birthday Meeeee!) and, due to a history of ovarian cysts - they decided to take those too! It left me recovering for a long time - and not sure what to expect of the menopause - as other than handing me a leaflet, no one really explained much to me. I knew that my Mum had breezed through the menopause, so hoped to goodness I'd do the same. I lost my Mum to ovarian cancer just a year later (a blessing that I'd had mine removed I guess) - so there really wasn't much time for discussions about my health - it seemed rather unimportant. I struggled with the changes; namely hot flushes, loss of memory and clumsiness - but I coped. My husband worried about me and, on speaking to a work colleague, he purchased me one of those menopause magnets (which you put in your knickers) and I think it helped. However, when the grief kicked in I suffered more - so turned to a low dose HRT (my doctors were especially worried about bone frailty). I've never looked back. I'm not a fan of having to take HRT - however, I have embraced the changes in my body - try to take care of myself and appreciate the hot flushes (as I'm a particularly cold person). I would urge people to talk and share experiences. Anything is worth a try and if there's alternatives to medicine I'd always take it.

inishowen Fri 09-Mar-18 15:35:59

I couldn't take HRT due to fibroids reacting badly with it. I used to carry one of those hand held fans in my handbag. I would cool my face when needed. I also used to go and stand in the back garden in the winter! It helped to cool me.

Venus Fri 09-Mar-18 15:43:00

My top tip is to try and ignore symptoms and keep active to take your mind off of it.

heatherjw Fri 09-Mar-18 15:51:33

I try to just go with the flow of night sweats. I've had them for almost 15 years and rarely sleep for more than 90mins at a time. I throw off the covers, have a sip of a cold drink, and wait for it to pass, then turn over snuggle down and luckily normally fall back to sleep quickly. I am thankful that this is all I have to put up with as I have good general health. There are a lot worse things to suffer from.
I have also found that avoiding caffeine and alcohol after about 8pm helps.

Tryfan12 Fri 09-Mar-18 16:18:26

Keeping a window open in the bedroom and use fresh cotton sheets

mbody Fri 09-Mar-18 16:21:46

Plenty of rest

Moocow Fri 09-Mar-18 16:31:01

It's the thinning hair that gets me down. The others I can explain away but the hair just stays... or doesn't! As has been said layers, but also recognising moods, giving myself more time when the indecision/confusion takes over.

BlueNile57 Fri 09-Mar-18 17:09:40

I am lucky enough not to suffer from hot flushes which is fortunate as both my sister and mum had a horrendous time and I was dreading it. However, the menopause has meant that I now suffer dreadfully from dry skin especially on my feet. It is so bad that if I leave it for just one day I feel the soles of my feet catching on the carpet!!! So my tip is to use a pedicure file and use a good cream on your feet. On the plus side I no longer feel the cold like I used to. I can now wander around in a tshirt whilst my husband is bundled up in layers lol.

Fingerspeller Fri 09-Mar-18 17:18:57

Layers are good but I found the best thing for hot flushes at night is a cooling gel pad/pillow - or two or three! Hold them against your face or body, or lie on one - bliss! They don't need refrigeration. After a while they equalise to your body temperature so just put to one side for a few minutes and they are ready for use again. I got mine in The Range but you can buy them online. Best thing ever!

Charly Fri 09-Mar-18 17:52:07

Enjoyable exercise; or at the very least, some movement each day that isn't too much of a heart- sink!

Nickmaia Fri 09-Mar-18 18:14:35

My ceiling fan in the bedroom was a godsend! The switch was by my head and I would use it off and on throughout the night.

live7 Fri 09-Mar-18 19:10:37

Couldn't take HRT (family history of breast cancer) Think hot sweats and insomnia the hardest to cope with.
I am changing all our bed linen to cotton - bliss. I sleep with only my pants on! I love to stand outside in the cold until I've cooled down. I wear layers so I can easily adjust to the right temperature. I also often take my boots off when I'm out (and sat down) as I find it the quickest way to cool down!

Fronkydonky Fri 09-Mar-18 19:18:36

I can honestly say - hand on heart that Acupuncture every month for about 14 years has helped me sail through the menopause. I initially started having it for severe pms, but I find it has really helped my body overall- as I’ve reached my mid fifties. I’ve had no hot flushes, no night sweats, no palpitations, no flooding, no clamminess, I just have a bit of tiredness and joint pain.

Lynne810 Fri 09-Mar-18 19:31:36

I found that alcohol gave me a very flushed face so I avoided wine in public places to spare myself the embarrassment of looking like a beetroot!

fialcross Fri 09-Mar-18 19:32:01

Hot sweats are definitely the worst part of the menopause and always seem to come at the worst possible moment! I hate the fact that I go red for ages. I have found that the quicker you can get cool, the quicker the flush ends. Stand at the door, open the windows, turn on the fan, apply a cold wet cloth to the back of your neck or forehead. Try and relax and drink cold water.

ShewhomustbeEbayed Fri 09-Mar-18 20:08:58

Natural fibres in all clothing, otherwise I felt prickly and hot.
Silk pillowcases are also good.

Micah68 Fri 09-Mar-18 20:10:46

I like to do a morning yoga session in a light top and cropped leggings. I feel much more relaxed and less 'at odds' with my body after the session.

Kittyme1 Fri 09-Mar-18 20:14:20

I keep a bottle of Liz Earle's Instant Boost Skin Tonic in the fridge, it's great for cooling down a tropical moment.

moleswife Fri 09-Mar-18 20:22:05

Leading up to the menopause I really struggled then I had a hysterectomy and all was well (with the help of HRT) but I now see my daughter struggling and would love to win this book for her!

nannyH Fri 09-Mar-18 20:55:49

I took double the recommended amount of Evening Primrose Oil capsules which calmed my mood swings. I certainly knew the difference if I ran out of them!!