Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a Ted Baker handbag and a copy of Bad Nana!

(265 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 31-May-18 09:30:59

We've teamed up with HarperCollins Children's Books to give you the chance to win a Ted Baker handbag worth £109, plus a copy of Sophy Henn's latest book, Bad Nana. 15 runners-up will also receive a hardback copy of the book.

Jeanie’s grandma is BAD. Not bad like a vampire or a gangster, but definitely up to no good…

In Sophy Henn’s wickedly funny new illustrated series for readers aged 6+, Bad Nana takes Jeanie along on her hilarious adventures, and together they cause all sorts of trouble – and have fun doing it!

From rebelling against the strict park keeper to spicing up a boring school trip, you never know what’s next with Bad Nana.

Bad Nana would never leave the house without her favourite black handbag, stuffed to the brim with lemon sherbets, pink lippy and whoopee cushions for extra mischief! So, tell us your funniest memory with your grandchildren for your chance to win a gorgeous Ted Baker tote bag for yourself and a copy of the book for the little ones.

Bad Nana: Older Not Wiser is published by HarperCollins Children's Books and is available online and from all good booksellers.

Please post your entries by 11am 29 June.

Usual T&Cs apply.

janeyf Fri 01-Jun-18 09:36:33

When we played rounders/baseball together as a family, using bags & coats as each stage. Some family members, no names mentioned were completely useless so it was hard to play without laughing all the time

happysouls Fri 01-Jun-18 09:48:12

I was sitting out in the garden with the family and talking about summer dresses for holidays. My 4 year old grandaughter whispered to me that her Mummy had a wedding dress! As she had whispered I asked if it was a secret and she nodded with glee. Later she gave me a drawing which she told me was a wedding dress! This is how I found out that they had set the date! She loves dressing up and obviously was overwhemingly excited by the prospect of the dress and couldn't hold it in! I told them about it and they said that it was a secret until they'd worked out all the details. It was really funny and very lovely!

Audrie57 Fri 01-Jun-18 10:06:46

I am not called grannie, or nana, and one of the great grand children has started calling me Gg which is for Great grandma. The young ones were getting mixed up, with 2 or 3 nannies or nana, so this name is rather cute I think, in fact one of the Grand daughters also calls me Gg and I sign cards and things from Gg, and they know who I am.

Venus Fri 01-Jun-18 10:19:27

My funniest memory was when I was playing with my grandson in the front garden with a bow and arrow ( the sort that had a rubber bit on the end of the arrow so it stuck to surfaces.)

He saw the cleanig lady coming round the corner on her bike, aimed the arrow at her and knocked her off her bike!

Well, it was very funny at the time!!!

sucraft Fri 01-Jun-18 10:24:41

I was hanging CDs in my cherry tree to try to stop the pigeons and starlings eating too many when I heard a little voice say 'What are you doing now, nanny?'
Guess my grandchildren thought this was just another of nanny's crazy stunts! grin

Greyduster Fri 01-Jun-18 10:55:33

We have a park a few minutes walk from our house and we took GS, then six, to play with a ball there. It has a pond which is fairly shallow, and the ball went in. Grandad said “that’s it, we’ve lost it now, I’m afraid!” GS squatted on his haunches and surveyed the problem very seriously. Then he said “Grandad if you stand on that big stone you might be able to reach it.” The big stone was about two feet from the edge. I immediately said “No! NO!!” Grandad, never one to turn down a challenge, stood on the big stone, which immediately tipped over and launched him into the water, where he sat while GS and I howled with laughter. Upside? We didn’t have far to walk home. Downside? His phone went in as well, but dried out in the airing cupboard. GS “dined out” on the story for ages much to DH’s embarrassment.

leemw711 Fri 01-Jun-18 11:21:33

My gorgeous granddaughter is 5 and in her first year at her local primary school. She is loving it but doesn’t realise just how funny she can sometimes be; she REALLY wants a little sister and has chosen a name for a possible new baby. Guess what, she is going to call her Raspberry! I think not, somehow, and surprisingly Mummy and Daddy are not keen on the name either!

NanaPlenty Fri 01-Jun-18 12:04:38

My funniest memory is my granddaughter aged 3 appearing in the kitchen in a yellow princess costume, accompanied by a pair of yellow very large science goggles she had pinched from her brother! Very fashion conscious is our Evie! My daughter captured it on camera which made it even funnier as she rolls her eyes and lifts her arms to the sky.

Janki Fri 01-Jun-18 12:26:45

It was the first hot day of the year and, wearing a suitably cool top I picked up Alice, three, from the nursery. I wondered what was wrong when she looked quizzically at me instead of the usual beaming smile and hug. We walked to the car and, as I opened the door, she said: "Grandma you have a cobweb on your neck" hmm #theneckcreamsdontwork

sue01 Fri 01-Jun-18 12:45:07

As I was perched halfway up a tree, trying to retrieve a kitten, my granddaughter looked up and said " Wow Grandma... you've got exactly the same knickers as my Teacher".

glennamy Fri 01-Jun-18 13:40:29

When I first told my young Granddaughter that I was cooking Toad in the Hole for dinner after school, she promptly told everyone in her school I was a frog killer! smile

glenka Fri 01-Jun-18 14:12:05

they found the hidden easter eggs and unwrapped them all and then broke them all by throwing them down the stairs

GrandmaKT Fri 01-Jun-18 14:21:35

I'd bought my two and a half-year-old grandson a toy cash register. It has a ridge down the slide that you slide the plastic 'credit card' through and the till drawer opens. We played first with me being the shop-keeper and him the customer. Then it was his turn - I took my plastic tins and cardboard packets and proffered the credit card. It was stiff and when he swiped it the till drawer didn't open. I was just about to help him when he studied the card and, with a look of absolute conviction said: "Ah, it's OK - it's contactless!"

Grandmother1234 Fri 01-Jun-18 14:26:38

My granddaughter asked me when I picked her up from school had I been in the bath all afternoon and when I said no why do you ask that she said well your hands are all krinkly like what mine go like when I’ve stayed in the bath too long !

Ikea1234 Fri 01-Jun-18 15:00:42

Popping to the shop with my grandson in his pushchair (which was forward facing - very important to the story!) Anyway, quick trip to the supermarket, and I keep noticing people laughing or staring at us.....it was only when I got to the checkout that I realised he had taken a packet of butter off the shelf and was sat there happily eating it, paper and all!

pinkjj27 Fri 01-Jun-18 15:10:03

I was in a DIY showroom with my late husband a 3 of our grandkids. We couldn't find one frantically I tore around the shop. We found her on one of the display toilets, knickers around her ankles looking very proud as she shouted out I am having a big girl wee wee

maclinks Fri 01-Jun-18 15:36:32

I was telling my Grandddaughter that I loved her very much, her reply was "That's good" she said "I love me very much too"

fourormore Fri 01-Jun-18 15:46:46

Our first granddaughter was visiting us having spent a few hours with my Mum - her Great-Grandma aka Nanajoy, and she told us that Nanajoy had a giraffe in her front room.
We assumed there had been a soft toy or something so basically went along with it.
Several weeks later we were all visiting Nanajoy again when the little one told Granddad in no uncertain terms that he should keep the door shut because of the giraffe.
We fell about laughing as Mum had obviously asked her to keep the door shut because of the draught not giraffe! grin grin grin

KatyK Fri 01-Jun-18 17:55:29

My small granddaughter was sitting in the back of the car one day as we were taking her out. It was a lovely day and lots of the shops and houses had lovely displays of flowers outside. I pointed out some flowers to my DGD and said 'Look at all the pretty flowers'. She replied 'For goodness sake nan, I'm 6 yeas old'. That told me then!

Marmight Fri 01-Jun-18 18:20:37

Age is the main topic with the 6 year old GS. He asks all and sundry their ages and ponders long and hard on the subject. I had a Big Birthday recently and he asked me, again, for the umpty tumpth time how old I was. 70....Oh! So it's not long until you're 100 then?

GeminiJen Fri 01-Jun-18 20:27:20

This is Doggy. Wherever youngest DGS goes, Doggy goes too. This time, it was for a family walk in the woods... a really muddy walk. And, of course, the inevitable happened. Shock/horror reaction from DGS...Granny got a fit of the giggles....Everyone else fell about laughing...Older DGS slipped and fell into the mud...which cheered up younger DGS no end...and 'naughtie Granny' was given the honour of carrying Doggy all the way home. By way of a PS, Doggy is no stranger to a 60 degree boil wash and survives to tell the tale grin

s861421 Fri 01-Jun-18 20:36:16

the first thing my children do at my mothers house is run into the garden and hide all the clothes pegs, I think she thinks its funny but not entirely sure

Purpledaffodil Fri 01-Jun-18 21:06:44

I was standing outside a train loo while GS 1 was inside. In a loud voice he announced “I’m trying to pull my pants up, but the train keeps wobbling them down”. Well it was a fast train! ?

Carado Fri 01-Jun-18 21:08:56

Granddaughter, aged 3, was keen to feed my cat. She put the bowl down, Puss came running. 'Eat' demanded DGD, and Puss tucked in. 'Look, Granny, she does what I say' beamed a delighted child!

dragonfly63 Fri 01-Jun-18 21:15:52

On being told that her aunty’s big tummy was because there was a baby in there, she promptly lifted up her aunty’s dress and said loudly “Look Mummy, it’s playing Hide and Seek”