Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win more than £500 of brilliant summer reads *NOW CLOSED*

(962 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-Jun-18 15:50:26

We've rounded up some of the best books for summer - whether you're jetting off on holiday, or reading in the garden at home.

One lucky person can win everything featured on the page - a book haul worth over £500. Details of all the books HERE and T&Cs HERE We will be picking a winner at random after midday on Monday 23 July.

To enter...simply tell us your favourite and least favourite thing about summer.

RuthHarwood Tue 12-Jun-18 19:52:29

I adore sitting on our little part of the balcony with a coffee and a book, feeling the sun on my face lightening my mood and enjoying escaping into another world. The only problem I have is when the heat is so bad it stops me sleeping at night and when I open the windows the creatures come in lol!!

creativeness Tue 12-Jun-18 19:55:13

The worst thing about summer is not getting much sleep with the heat. The best thing is going on walks & getting washing dry quite soon

fenmatthews Tue 12-Jun-18 20:11:23

Strawberries that taste of sunshine from the local PYO farm
take some beating.
But - midges and other biting insects seem determined to eat me. (perhaps I taste like strawberries)

jayweb Tue 12-Jun-18 20:19:53

My favourite thing about summer is being outdoors in the warmth and sunlight enjoying the lovely colours of nature.
My least favourite is that it is all too short and so often the weather doesn`t match the season.

Sarah1271 Tue 12-Jun-18 21:21:30

Spending time with family in the sunshine, I hate the flies

Carado Tue 12-Jun-18 21:36:11

I love being able to get outdoors, walking or cycling, without being all wrapped up. Shorts and a light top feel great.

On the downside, the midges and mozzies and wasps seem to be attracted to me and I dislike having to cover exposed skin with insect repellent on top of sunscreen. In fact, why isn't there one product to apply that does both jobs?

mariamor Tue 12-Jun-18 21:56:50

I love the fact that people walk around with their heads up. The worst thing is that it doesn’t last long enough!

Emptynester Tue 12-Jun-18 22:15:43

I love The smell of warm summer rain on hot asphalt after a drought. I don’t like hot
breathless summer nights with a mosquito somewhere in the bedroom! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

Miza Tue 12-Jun-18 22:25:30

Best thing about summer - long days
Worst thing - hayfever

cornergran Tue 12-Jun-18 22:48:13

The best is a seat at a table by the sea with a pot of tea and a bacon sandwich.

The worst is the hay fever that drives me inside when I’d rather be out with the roses.

chocamour Tue 12-Jun-18 23:16:05

My favourite thing is the lighter evenings and the sun - as the Winter really causes a low mood for me.

Ironically, the worst thing is the lighter evenings and the sun - as I can't leave my home, so I feel I'm missing out, when others are having days/nights out.

I'll just pretend everyone is having a rotten time - to make me feel better, grin wink

grannyactivist Wed 13-Jun-18 00:57:54

My favourite thing about summer is al fresco dining with the hordes of family and friends who descend on us in our seaside home. The least favourite thing is that summer is when the allotment is at its most time-consuming.

Elrel Wed 13-Jun-18 01:38:17

Best: I love wearing less clothes, I've a denim dress which makes me fell cool, free and even young again!

Worst: It's so sad when carefully planned events are ruined by rain. Far inland, one year our suburb had a 'beach' with entertainment for the children. It was planned for five days and was a huge success on the first day. There was a real atmosphere of the seaside. On the other four days we huddled in a marquee out of the downpour.

tunde Wed 13-Jun-18 01:40:54

I love sunbathing in the summer and al fresco dining. Hate the mosquitoes and flies.

suzied Wed 13-Jun-18 04:49:50

Best thing : Longer days - waking up at 5 am to daylight, sitting out in the garden with a glass or two at 7 pm .
Worst thing : when you’ve planned an outdoor event and the weather changes to wet and cold (usually in the U.K.- weather can be more reliable in some places!)

Rosie987 Wed 13-Jun-18 05:09:51

BBQs are the best thing about Summer.

Hate insect bites!

kimcoate27 Wed 13-Jun-18 05:18:56

Favourite thing is being outside
Least favourite is wasps

chakari Wed 13-Jun-18 06:23:25

Ironically my favourite and least favourite is the Sun. ?

I burn easily, turning lobster red without my favourite factor 50 to hand, and I hate being sweaty and sticky.

That being said nothing beats the feeling of sitting in the garden with a good book, cool breeze in the air, Sun beaming down... It's like all the worries in the world escape just for that time.

emmal01 Wed 13-Jun-18 06:38:50

Love the lighter warmer evenings
Hate the hay fever

hdh74 Wed 13-Jun-18 06:45:49

favourite thing - seaside in the sunshine
least favourite - wasps

renaplumridge Wed 13-Jun-18 06:53:45

Favourite things is swimming in the sea, least favourite thing is rain, drizzle, cloudy overcast days

myzdamena72 Wed 13-Jun-18 06:57:06

My favourite thing is seeing the weenies playing outside in the garden and their excited voices

Least favourite by far is the heat, so I’m very glad we live in the UK ?

Greenfinch Wed 13-Jun-18 07:01:31

Most favourite is seeing the little ones next door on their trampoline.
Least favourite is hearing their parents' blaring music.

toffee11 Wed 13-Jun-18 07:05:43

Love doing the garden and seeing the results.

Hate the humid, hot weather.

zinnia Wed 13-Jun-18 07:08:41

Having to go to work when the weather is glorious