Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win more than £500 of brilliant summer reads *NOW CLOSED*

(962 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 12-Jun-18 15:50:26

We've rounded up some of the best books for summer - whether you're jetting off on holiday, or reading in the garden at home.

One lucky person can win everything featured on the page - a book haul worth over £500. Details of all the books HERE and T&Cs HERE We will be picking a winner at random after midday on Monday 23 July.

To enter...simply tell us your favourite and least favourite thing about summer.

leanfun Wed 13-Jun-18 10:02:26

My all time favourite summer thing is eating outside in the garden.

Least favourite is waking up early with the light mornings.

ddraig123 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:05:56

My favourite would be taking time off work to chill in the Summer and my least favourite would be when it's way too hot and close, so that it is uncomfortable and hard to sleep.

harrigran Wed 13-Jun-18 10:08:21

My favourite thing about summer is the long hours of daylight.
Least favourite is the smell of BBQs being lit and dogs barking in the neighbours gardens.

anngwill Wed 13-Jun-18 10:09:16

The best thing about summer is the light evenings & spending time in the garden until late. The worst thing are the gnats as they seem to love me.

karinahen83 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:10:43

i love eating outside and having the kids up that little bit later as time is so limited with them.
i dont like the bugs or hot nights..i love my sleep!

marycarol Wed 13-Jun-18 10:20:25

Love the long clear evenings sitting out in the garden enjoying the late sunshine with a good book and a glass of wine. I hate midgies and wasps who seem to enjoy the taste of me x

shysal Wed 13-Jun-18 10:21:10

My favourite thing about Summer is being outside, my least favourite these days is hot temperatures.

janeyf Wed 13-Jun-18 10:23:44

My favourite thing about Summer is the light evenings and warm sunshine. My least favorite thing is not being able to make the most of the weather because of being stuck in an office all week

Bookworm1958 Wed 13-Jun-18 10:24:43

I love long summer evenings that really extend the day, especially when on holiday. Like so many others I hate wasps!

sscrase Wed 13-Jun-18 10:24:43

Best - Being outside and feeling the sun on your face and playing with wifey & kids.

Worst - Mozzies !!!!!!, also having to work in an office when it's hot outside.

gd Wed 13-Jun-18 10:33:25

Favourite - long evenings. Least favourite - weekend and bank holiday traffic

stormhorse Wed 13-Jun-18 10:39:50

seeing the animals happier without winter coats on. but dont like the blazing heat.

mbody Wed 13-Jun-18 10:53:37

Favourite thing is no tights, least favourite thing is insect bites, they seem to love me!

Alima Wed 13-Jun-18 11:00:51

Favourite thing is the light.

Least favourite thing the wasps.

downesjo Wed 13-Jun-18 11:04:25

I love getting up really early when it's just me and the birds in the garden and cup of tea.
I hate bugs and wasps in the bedroom at night.

carolacr Wed 13-Jun-18 11:06:12

I love spending time in the garden.
I hate being chased round the garden by wasps.

blakey2402 Wed 13-Jun-18 11:06:58

sunshine and all those horrible insects

Hammycmt Wed 13-Jun-18 11:09:59

spending time with the grandchildren outside.-hayfever is my least favourite thing.

GeminiJen Wed 13-Jun-18 11:16:58

Most favourite?...What I'm doing now - sitting in the garden with my morning coffee brew, content that the garden looks so lush and fresh, listening to the hum of the bees and looking forward to starting a new book smile
Least favourite?...Having the spell broken by the incessant barking of a neighbour's dog sad

knickas63 Wed 13-Jun-18 11:27:33

My favourite part of Summer is feeling as if the sun is recharging my batteries! And the smell of flowers and cut grass & beautiful blue skies - possibly with the excitement of a holiday!

The worst part is mosquitos, midges, wasps and not being able to sleep in the heat, and hayfever!

crystald Wed 13-Jun-18 11:27:36

The sun is both the best & worst thing about summer for me!
It's so fantastic to wake up to a warm sunny day - life feels so much brighter with the sun on your face & a light breeze keeping you cool.
However my skin is so fair that I cannot linger in the sunshine at all without being slathered in high factor sun cream.

BizziLiz Wed 13-Jun-18 11:29:03

My favourite thing about is the warmth and sunshine - my least favourite thing is wasps and biting insects.

kaasszzaa Wed 13-Jun-18 11:44:43

I just love pottering about in my garden, perfect to play in with my grandchildren and then sit in the evenings with my husband. Hate being in the car and driving when it is a really hot day.

Jilly2018 Wed 13-Jun-18 11:45:58

Favourite thing has got to be not feeling guilty about having an ice cream.
Least favourite thing has got to be the rate that the weeds grow in the garden.

ToniSH Wed 13-Jun-18 11:54:52

Best thing - After 27 years abroad, enjoying the summer days and evenings - for the whole summer, instead of just two weeks. Pure bliss.
Worst thing - only having my two oldest kids with me for two weeks. Wah. (But they're here at the moment, so I'm OK for now.)