Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win the chance to have your family tree researched and recorded - worth £150 *NOW CLOSED*

(518 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 06-Sep-18 09:25:57

Who do YOU think you are? Who were your ancestors? How did they earn a living? Where did they live? Discover the answers to these questions in our competition with Odyssey Family Tree Research Services. Four lucky winners will have their family tree researched and recorded as far back as possible in relation to one parent's lineage.

More details on the prize HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 4 October.

To enter simply tell us... What's your favourite childhood memory?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

Harris27 Thu 06-Sep-18 20:54:02

Our only holiday as a child was in warkworth with the rain coming down and the monopoly board on the table in the caravan and the smell of the gaslamp. I was young with Mary poppins umbrella and bag to match. Daft memories but totally memorable!!!

Farmnanjulie Thu 06-Sep-18 20:56:16

Being the youngest of four ,my mum and dad were always short of money,they both worked hard but we're on low paid jobs,there was always hand me downs,nothing was new,one birthday I was given a soft squashy parcel,it was bigger than anything I had got before ,and I wanted to make the unwrapping last,I made a tiny hole in the paper,and saw something bright yellow,the hole for bigger and a saw ruffles! When I saw what was in the parcel ,it was a dress,my own dress!! I have never had my own dress,it was deep yellow and full of ruffles,I thought it looked like the daffodils I had seen in the park
I wore this dress on very special occasions,and it was a happy feeling on quite a sad childhood,and the strongest memory I have,of one time that I had my very own dress!
I lost both my mum and dad I the same year,and when I see a daffodil ,I feel the way I did then and can see and feel the glorious deep yellow ruffles.

BBbevan Thu 06-Sep-18 20:59:23

It is not exactly a favourite memory but one I have remembered all my life.
We lived in a long street. There were lots of children and we all played together, walked to school together etc. About the time of the Coronation there was a competition to decorate your front room window. My mother took it extremely seriously and worked hard at it. She did not win. She made a very disparaging remark about the winning window. This got back k to the winner.
This lady was about to take all the children in the street on a picnic. My sister and I were not invited. I can remember standing outside our house watching a crocodile of my friends go past. Of course I did.not know the reason why then. To this day I hate to be left out of things.

aimeesmum Thu 06-Sep-18 21:23:02

I loved going to the funfair in the local park in the summer evenings, the smell of candy floss and bright lights were so memorable. I also loved sitting in my room waiting to tape songs from the top 40.
I used to love my mums home made gravy,,,,i would love to dip bread in in whilst waiting for my dinner

M00se Thu 06-Sep-18 21:33:24

Family Christmases. When everyone was there, playing cards around the table, and everyone happy.

sez101 Thu 06-Sep-18 21:39:02

I used to go to my grandparents a lot, no matter what the weather was my brother and i always got a choc ice, and if we went into the car for a drive a winegum. My grandad use to be rubbish at roundabouts or maybe he just liked making us laugh but he went round at least twice!

howard86bbr Thu 06-Sep-18 21:39:22

days of wonder helping grandad in his shed among tools and bolts, electrical bits, wood and pipe.

Deano777 Thu 06-Sep-18 21:42:01

Going to my nana's house and baking with her in the school holidays.

emmal01 Thu 06-Sep-18 21:48:56

Growing up on a farm & helping with lambing when I was about 9, loved it!

spongebob1 Thu 06-Sep-18 22:00:50

Sitting on the doorstep of my grandma and grandads house with a plastic beaker filled with water and washing up liquid and blowing bubbles through a straw. The bubbles used to spill out down the side of the beaker and the wind would catch them and I'd watch them float away over the grass.

callgirl1 Thu 06-Sep-18 22:05:55

My father died before I was born, and my mother remarried when I was 3, in 1946, and I was a bridesmaid. I still vividly remember chasing around the church hall at the reception with the other small bridesmaid, Elaine Booth, we had a whale of a time!

sweir1 Thu 06-Sep-18 22:26:21

Summer holidays at my grandparents

lemongrove Thu 06-Sep-18 22:27:20

when I was about 5 years old, watching the dray horses pulling the big carts up the street [steep street] with a man holding their halters and leading them through the brewery gates, my grandma lived just opposite the gates.I was very small, the horses were very big, like mythical beasts to a city child.

Elrel Thu 06-Sep-18 23:15:23

We moved house and I finished the term at my school. As the journey by bus was much longer my mother always brought jam sandwiches. I enjoyed sitting on the top deck of the bus, sometimes the front seat, and looking out of the window while I ate my sandwiches.

freefan Thu 06-Sep-18 23:34:47

My favourite memory is of a caravan holiday where I was too young to go on a horse ride so my dad led me around the field on a little pony, I'd have been about 5 and I loved that little pony and wanted to take him home.

marpau Thu 06-Sep-18 23:53:53

waking up on Easter Sunday to boiled eggs decorated by my parents then going on a walk after church to roll them.

andywedge Thu 06-Sep-18 23:54:19

Moving house on the same day it was our town carnival. It was like two exciting things happening on the same day both merged into one. My Gran looked after me at the carnival and then took me home, to my new house. I would have been 2 years old.

MrRichTea Fri 07-Sep-18 01:04:56

Being on my dads shoulders - feelinglike i was on top of the world, smiling & laughing, about 4/5!

HHBBNN54 Fri 07-Sep-18 07:22:57

Going out and about on the streets with friends and roaming for miles with no restrictions. Also going to youth club once a week and being given a lift back in the back of a landrover.

Pamaga Fri 07-Sep-18 07:33:10

When we moved to the country from the city and we had a huge garden. I ran round and round it relishing the space - and then Dad bought our first puppy: a collie x labrador that I was allowed to name. As I was a fan of the Dandy, I called him Bob after Andrew Glen's border collie.

Venus Fri 07-Sep-18 08:17:53

Going round to my grandpa's house and gazing at his wonderful display of geraniums in his conservatory. Even today, when I catch the scent of geraniums, it takes me back to that time.

Grandange Fri 07-Sep-18 08:52:55

I remember a family wedding when I was about 3 and my brother about 1 year old. I had my hair done in ringlets ( and rags the night before!) I had a secondhand dress that I hated because it was prickly ( would love it now tho) and a cardigan an aunt had knitted which I also hated. The reception was in a church hall and the family had to supply cutlery etc. so our cutlery for years after had red thread tied round the handles. All the adults were dancing the hokey-
cokey and my little brother crawled along the tables and drained all the sherry glasses. He slept well for quite a while!

strawberrinan Fri 07-Sep-18 09:03:24

Nobody believes me but I honestly remember being in my pram when I was very little. You're not meant to have any memories before about the age of 4 but this is a genuine memory.

Dannylam Fri 07-Sep-18 09:14:05

Once a year during the summer school holidays Mum and Dad would take my brother, my sister and I on the bus down to Torquay sea front. We would walk the length of the front getting an ice cream in the way. Talking, running, laughing and generally enjoying being together. On the way back along the promenade we would get fish and chips to eat on the bus home. Mum and Dad worked hard and it was rare we could all be together. For years that evening was our summer holiday. Bliss!

carol2712 Fri 07-Sep-18 09:18:24

My mum would read stories to me at night and often just stop as she continued to read them to herself, but my dad would recite poems and for some this my sound boring but he always brought them to life and 60 odd years later i still know and love them.