Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win the chance to have your family tree researched and recorded - worth £150 *NOW CLOSED*

(518 Posts)
LauraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 06-Sep-18 09:25:57

Who do YOU think you are? Who were your ancestors? How did they earn a living? Where did they live? Discover the answers to these questions in our competition with Odyssey Family Tree Research Services. Four lucky winners will have their family tree researched and recorded as far back as possible in relation to one parent's lineage.

More details on the prize HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 4 October.

To enter simply tell us... What's your favourite childhood memory?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

mbody Fri 07-Sep-18 09:22:35

Being read to by my grandfather

amsquared Fri 07-Sep-18 09:32:18

Helping my dad build a sailing ship to sail on the local paddling pool

jools401 Fri 07-Sep-18 09:33:14

My grandad always used to come around to our house every Sunday morning when I was 2 or 3. He always bought me a tube of Terrys blackcurrant pastilles which I loved. Happy days!

glamnan Fri 07-Sep-18 10:04:22

Going out with my Dad to see my Grandma on Sundays on the bus when I was 3 or 4 as we didn't have a car until I was 5.

franjess2000 Fri 07-Sep-18 10:29:28

Getting a go kart for Christmas in the snow and insisting on going out to ride it immediately!

myrrh01 Fri 07-Sep-18 11:35:18

Playing in the park all day with my friends and only going home when hungry or thirsty

cinders59 Fri 07-Sep-18 11:57:36

My fav memory is my parents taking all 6 of us on the train for the day to Brisyol Zoo it was so exciting, we are talking over 50 years ago now, Such a treat

sophie56 Fri 07-Sep-18 12:36:03

Playing in my Grandma's garden with my brother and best friends Jojo and catherine. It was a beautiful long garden with old trees dotted along its length. We used to build tents from old blankets, rope, pegs using trees and the washing line. Grandma would bring us home made Shepherd's pie, home grown runner beans and large cut glass tumbler of lemonade. She had to ring our bell and give the pass word. We spent all day in our dens playing cards, colouring and arguing!

hopstone Fri 07-Sep-18 12:50:15

When I was very young, my granddad, who had one of his fingers shot off in the first world war, always used to tell me that I'd bitten it off when I was a baby. I always believed him!!

jjq1872 Fri 07-Sep-18 12:58:40

Visiting my gran and having her lovely fruit buns, which tasted better the old they got. And her garden too - pansies, daisies and loganberries!

trueblonde Fri 07-Sep-18 13:01:55

When we were kids we spent all of our 6 week holidays at my nans in Middlesex, we used to go out with the kids from next door to my nan, as they were the same age as us, we had what they called a Red Bus Rover Ticket, similar to our all day bus tickets now. Also we used to be woken up with a cup of tea, china cup and saucer and rich tea biscuits,aah good memories, also we used to use my nans shoes and waddle up the garden ha ha, even though they were too big for us

Eadie Fri 07-Sep-18 14:06:05

Throwing a snow ball some distance that somehow fell directly onto the head of a schoolfriend. I immediately went into my home and my friend never did find out what happened.

NanaandGrampy Fri 07-Sep-18 14:48:59

Falling in the sea in Malta where I was stationed with my Mum and Dad ! I remember having to be pushed home in the pram wrapped in the babies shawl whilst my Dad carried my little sister.

I didn't mind as I had wanted to swim so badly - I might have accidently /on purpose fallen in :-)

GeminiJen Fri 07-Sep-18 15:12:38

When I think of my childhood, one of my favourite memories is of going to my grandparents' house on Sundays after Church. We were a big extended family, so there were lots of cousins to play with. We were given lemonade and 'suggestive biscuits' wink, which I never had at home. If it was fair, we played outdoors, usually skipping and ball games. If wet, we stayed indoors and played card games like Lexicon, to which I owe my spelling prowess to this day grin. Happy days!

goonersue Fri 07-Sep-18 16:00:16

when I was tired and my dad would lift me onto his shoulders. I felt so tall and on top of the world

Jahassan Fri 07-Sep-18 17:17:52

Trying to put up 2 deckchairs for my sister and I in my grandma's backyard. I was about 7 or 8 and no matter how many times we were shown we still got it wrong, ending up in fits of laughter. Even today when I see deckchairs I always smile at the memory.

hanover1 Fri 07-Sep-18 17:26:04

meeting my father when he returned from the army

jenpax Fri 07-Sep-18 17:44:50

One year we went to Paris for Christmas, I must have been 7 or 8 and it snowed❄️☃️?
I remember running down a boulevard and seeing lots of sparkly lights and snow flakes, and my mother treated me to a red fur muff and beret in one of the shops which was so beautiful and kept me toasty warm. It was a magical holiday for me.

ninathenana Fri 07-Sep-18 18:45:50

Riding my bike to go and meet dad on his way home from work. He had to cross a railway line via a pedestrian crossing, I would wait on "my" side and we would ride the rest of the way home together discussing our days.

Bobdoesit Fri 07-Sep-18 18:52:39

Visiting my granny Daisy in Buckinghamshire which was something of a foreign country to me – or so it seemed at the time! Daisy lived in a townhouse (not that it would have been called that then) in the centre of Winslow while we resided in a farm workers cottage in the middle of nowhere. Granny seemed very wealthy to me, and every visit was exciting. She had a ‘spotty dog’, which I now know was a Dalmatian, she also had a budgerigar who had the freedom of the house which would prove to be his undoing. I have so many happy memories of those days its difficult to pick just one, but I suppose my favourite has to be discovering two paper dolls in one of her magazines. How I loved sitting in front of the fire cutting out 'Nora and Tilly' and their lovely outfits. It took me many a long year to find them again, but thanks to the Internet I now have three 1950s Woman and Home magazines, and there they are. Discovering them was like finding long lost friends. I could go on, but as you ask for just one favourite memory I had best stop there, oh and if you are wondering about the budgerigar – granny sat on him!

RachDayxx Fri 07-Sep-18 20:04:22

Family trips to the seaside, burying dad in the sand and eating chips out of newspaper on the harbour wall

pinkjj27 Fri 07-Sep-18 21:08:10

Playing an angel in the school nativity when I was 5. I had a beautiful dress, golden wings and a glittering Halo. All the other angels just wore white sheets no wings or halos. I got a speaking part and got to sing a solo. I have been a little angel ever since.

Granny23 Fri 07-Sep-18 22:36:24

One snowy winter my Dad made a long sledge for my sister and me. It was so long that we managed to squeeze the two of us and the five other small children who lived in the village, all on at once. My Dad set off at a run along a farm track and every so often he jerked the sledge so that the last child flipped off into the soft snow. He carried on until I was the only one left on, then he turned round, with feigned surprise, wondering where all the others had gone.

Such fun! I met one of the other children recently and they also remembered this sleigh ride, nearly 70 years ago.

cherylann2461 Fri 07-Sep-18 23:11:24

living in Cornwall as a child i have many memories but above all spending long days on the beach and rolling down the sand dunes. x

kaizen99 Sat 08-Sep-18 01:37:40

The way my mum managed my first day at school was superb! I shall always remember it.