Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a £100 afternoon tea voucher *NOW CLOSED*

(917 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 13-Sep-19 14:27:20

To celebrate the release of Red Riding Hood, reimagined by master storyteller Beatrix Potter and visionary illustrator Helen Oxenbury, we’re giving one lucky gransnetter the chance to win a copy of the new book, plus a £100 afternoon tea voucher to enjoy.

More details on the prize can be found HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 11th October.

To enter simply tell us... what was your favourite fairy tale growing up and why?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

annsixty Fri 13-Sep-19 14:43:45

It had to be Cinderella.
The idea of being so beautiful and capturing a Prince was every little girl's dream.
I really believed, for a short time only of course, that it really could happen.

Albangirl14 Fri 13-Sep-19 14:49:41

Hansel and Gretel because I liked the idea of a house of sweets. My ideal as a sweet loving child .

wildswan16 Fri 13-Sep-19 14:51:14

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

I used to walk a mile to school with my friends and we always sang "Hey ho, hey ho, its off to school we go" etc, all the way there. There were only five of us but we each chose the name of one of the dwarfs. I was Grumpy.

joannapiano Fri 13-Sep-19 14:56:45

Rapunzel was my idea of perfection, even though she was locked in a tower. I envied her long hair as my mum had a thing about nits and kept my fair hair really short.

Chewbacca Fri 13-Sep-19 15:07:46

Sleeping Beauty for me. In the 1950s, when I was about 5 years old, I was given a large picture book for Christmas. The pictures were very beautiful and colourful. I've never forgotten that book and wish I'd kept it.

Miriam Fri 13-Sep-19 15:46:04

I always like The Emperor's New Clothes because it was a little bit naughty and cheeky.

Anthea1948 Fri 13-Sep-19 16:10:07

Little Red Riding Hood for me. I think I liked the 'horror' element of the story. It was the precursor to all the horror books I read in later life.

MiniMoon Fri 13-Sep-19 16:12:43

My Dad took me to the cinema to see Walt Disney's Snow White & The Seven Dwarves when I was five. It terrified me, and put me off cartoons for a very long ti me.

My favourite fairy story is by Hans Christian Andersen. The Tinder Box, about a soldier who meets a witch upon the road, and retrieved her tinder box from under a tree. The tale involves three dogs on chests of copper, silver and gold, a king, queen and princess. I really thought that having a magical tinder box would be fabulously exciting.

I kept the book, which was an anthology of Hans Christian Andersen's stories, and have it to my daughter when she was old enough to read it. She still has it.

Itsmyfirstrodeo Fri 13-Sep-19 16:21:17

Cinderella, mainly because of the beautiful gowns that she wore in the ladybird story book I read over and over, and still have!!

HarrysDaughter Fri 13-Sep-19 16:31:29

Hansel and Gretel - the gingerbread house, the clever children and of course the happy ending.

lemongrove Fri 13-Sep-19 16:46:27

Golidilocks and the three bears, a slight edge with a sweet story, porridge, chairs, beds....what’s not to like??

linby Fri 13-Sep-19 16:50:40

I loved Rapunzel - I was fascinated by her long hair

KatyK Fri 13-Sep-19 16:57:54

Cinderella for me too. After watching the Disney version, I wanted to be her with all those magical things happening to her. And she got her prince.

callgirl1 Fri 13-Sep-19 17:05:07

Sleeping Beauty, I always wished I could be woken up by a kiss from a handsome prince!

NanaandGrampy Fri 13-Sep-19 17:05:40

I think it has to be Rumplestiltskin .

The whole thing was pure fantasy and caught the imagination of 5 year old me. I used to make my sister play it with me … obviously I was the millers daughter with hair of spun gold :-).

I told my Mum the story and suggested she might like to part with my newly arrived baby brother :-) . She told me we were stuck with him !!

jandrayson2 Fri 13-Sep-19 17:06:09

Peter Pan, because I think everyone should believe in fairies, & Tinkerbell made me both laugh & cry.

pb52 Fri 13-Sep-19 17:09:38

The Billy Goats Gruff.
Just the right mix of wonder, apprehension and imagination.

Grannyknot Fri 13-Sep-19 17:11:30

Rumplestiltskin for me. Terrifying as he was! grin

Moocow Fri 13-Sep-19 17:43:10

Cinderella! I loved how she got what she deserved in the end but above all I absolutely loved her gowns and when I read the book myself I could hardly contain my excitement to read each page without rushing through to the big reveal of her final gown all gold and silver along with her dainty slippers. Ahhhhh the memory grin

JessK Fri 13-Sep-19 17:44:44

Hansel and Gretel because it was a close relationship between brother and sister that won the day. It is a charming story and I always imagined the dark wood that frightened the pair. It was scarey but good came out on top.

Noddy30 Fri 13-Sep-19 18:12:42

Hansel and Gretel was my favourite. I can't remember how many times I read it.

Abuelamia Fri 13-Sep-19 18:33:18

The Ugly Duckling, The story, the song and the message it gives. Simple but special.

Tiberius Fri 13-Sep-19 18:34:11

The Ugly Duckling

mikeh31 Fri 13-Sep-19 18:39:47

Hansel and Gretel - it was terrifying but had a good message.