Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win over £800 of brilliant books for Christmas

(1001 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 18-Nov-19 11:41:32

It's that time of year again...

If you are stuck for gift ideas for family/friends, look no further than our round-up of the best books for Christmas. From psychological thrillers to women's fiction, autobiographies to cookbooks (and everything in between), there really is something for everyone.

And, as ever, we are giving one lucky person the chance to win everything featured on the page...worth over £800. All you have to do is tell us, on this thread, who you'd most like to find under your tree this Christmas (and why).

We will be drawing a winner at random at midday on Monday 16 December. Terms and conditions apply - more details on the page.

--

As this thread has reached the 1,000 post limit we've started a new one for you to enter on which you can find here.

Silvergran59 Mon 18-Nov-19 13:36:01

I would love to see Freddie Mercury under my Christmas tree, he had the voice of an angel, the humour of a devil, and was taken too soon.

Mapleleaf Mon 18-Nov-19 13:39:29

I'd love to see Morecambe and Wise under my tree. Their sketches were hilarious so they would cheer up our Christmas no end. ?

lillyofthevalley Mon 18-Nov-19 13:39:38

I would love to see my best friend from my childhood under my Christmas tree, she passed when she was just 17 and did not get to live her ambitions and dreams we both talked about. I have spent my adult life living for her, and thinking about what she would have thought and done in many situations and landmarks in my life which she did not get to achieve and experience.

seepy Mon 18-Nov-19 13:40:37

I would love to find my father under the tree, there are so many questions I needed to ask before he passed on.

sweir1 Mon 18-Nov-19 13:41:11

Helen Mirren. She is lovely

montydoo Mon 18-Nov-19 13:43:03

I would love to find Buddy Holly under my Christmas tree as his songs were the theme of my youth, and never grow old, not will he, I would love to be his Peggy Sue for the day and spend the day with him, what the world would be like with his music, had he not been taken too soon, we'll never know.

sharon103 Mon 18-Nov-19 13:47:21

I would like to see a pair of football boots ,,,,,,,,,,with Alan Shearer wearing them.
Ooooo he's gorgeous. I've loved him ever since watching him on the tele when he played for Newcastle United. Drool. wink

lemongrove Mon 18-Nov-19 13:59:57

I would like (love) to find my Grandfather under the Christmas tree.Born in 1895, in poverty, served in ‘The Great War’ and worked hard all his life, he was a true gentleman as well as a gentle person.Because of family circumstances, he and Grandma mostly helped me to grow up, and he taught me to read (as books were the love of his life).When I was about ten, he bought me, at great expense to himself, an entire set of the work of Charles Dickens, which I devoured over the next few years.
I have such loving memories of him that to just spend an hour with him again would be the greatest Christmas gift, and although he died just a couple of years after I married (Golden Wedding Anniversary coming up soon for us) I think about him regularly still and am grateful to him for everything.

walk1992 Mon 18-Nov-19 14:07:35

I would love to see muy husband.

granofone Mon 18-Nov-19 14:11:09

My lovely late mum,would give anything to spend another day with her and tell her what has happened since she past and all about her lovely great grandson

obag Mon 18-Nov-19 14:14:54

Cliff Richard, I have been a fan since my teens

Alima Mon 18-Nov-19 14:38:05

I would love to find my dear departed Mum under the tree. There is so much I want to ask her about.

Annapops Mon 18-Nov-19 14:40:27

Billy Connolly for me. I find it amazing how he can still hold into his sense of humour while coping with an incurable illness. He is definitely a star in my eyes, attempting to live life to the full.

rincey Mon 18-Nov-19 14:45:15

my dad , miss him so much ,he was so much fun at Christmas ,it makes it so hard without him x

annsixty Mon 18-Nov-19 14:48:12

My H who died in April.

QuaintIrene Mon 18-Nov-19 14:57:49

My late husband. It has been nearly two years since he died. Just to tell him that I love him always.

hugshelp Mon 18-Nov-19 15:00:18

My son. We haven't seen him for 3 years.

zabaglione Mon 18-Nov-19 15:17:06

I'd love to see my little 6 months grand daughter there looking at the tree mesmerized by the glittering lights!

Flowerpower22 Mon 18-Nov-19 15:21:26

I would love to find Monty Don under the tree - not just for advice on my cottage garden, but because he is pretty sexy too!

lindiann Mon 18-Nov-19 15:27:25

Robbie Williams singing Slade "Merry Christmas" hate to admit it him and Jamie Callum are better than the Original

dianegf1 Mon 18-Nov-19 15:28:33

Judi Dench. She would have so many wonderful stories to tell of her life in the theatre and cinema. I'm sure I would never want to see her leave smile

jhocknull Mon 18-Nov-19 15:37:40

Greg Davies might not fit under the tree but he'd make me laugh all through Christmas Day.

funstr Mon 18-Nov-19 15:41:39

my late grancher, he loved christmas, we would spend every boxing day as another christmas day at his home. he would put up tacky foil decorations and balloons from the ceiling, xmas bulbs in the window. all of the family would be there, it was magical. my dog who has recently died, he would have his own stocking and wrapped presents. he loved opening his gifts.

Nonnie Mon 18-Nov-19 15:54:32

A big box of non-fattening but delicious chocolate!

I will settle for what I have, most of my lovely family will be with us and one person we don't know who has nowhere to go will be joining us.

Corkie91 Mon 18-Nov-19 15:55:16

My family as its been a bad year healthwise for us all

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion