Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win over £800 of brilliant books for Christmas

(1001 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 18-Nov-19 11:41:32

It's that time of year again...

If you are stuck for gift ideas for family/friends, look no further than our round-up of the best books for Christmas. From psychological thrillers to women's fiction, autobiographies to cookbooks (and everything in between), there really is something for everyone.

And, as ever, we are giving one lucky person the chance to win everything featured on the page...worth over £800. All you have to do is tell us, on this thread, who you'd most like to find under your tree this Christmas (and why).

We will be drawing a winner at random at midday on Monday 16 December. Terms and conditions apply - more details on the page.

--

As this thread has reached the 1,000 post limit we've started a new one for you to enter on which you can find here.

MichStew Tue 10-Dec-19 15:41:00

I think David Attenborough, not only because of his wonderful wildlife connections, anecdotes and climate change pinions but because i would also be fascinated to learn about his time as Controller of BBC2.

RachePache Tue 10-Dec-19 15:45:36

I would love to see David Suchet as I love him in " Poirot".
With all my family coming to ours for Christmas including my little sis from Oz and my eldest from France - 12 of us in all we could quiz him on how he played the great Belgian detective!

crusosa Tue 10-Dec-19 15:57:25

I'd like to find my dad. Miss him so much!

cal51 Tue 10-Dec-19 16:22:15

I would like Cliff Richard under my tree to sing to me all through the Christmas Season, bliss

pipsaucer Tue 10-Dec-19 16:53:18

I'd like to find Charles Dickens under my tree so he could read to me, A Christmas Carol, and though I don't have much, it'll make me grateful for what I have and remind me of the spirit of Christmas!

Sandyhex Tue 10-Dec-19 16:55:15

I would love to find my Brother under the tree as he emigrated to Australia 11 years ago along with our dear Dad who died 13 years ago 20th Dec . WOW what a fabulous present that would be . I couldn't want for more than the 2 much missed men of my life.

Tizliz Tue 10-Dec-19 17:12:57

My 7 year old grand-daughter, there are lots of books I would like to read to her

Ivyc Tue 10-Dec-19 17:31:40

I would like to find the lead character in whichever book I am reading, it would really bring the story to life

BondiBeach Tue 10-Dec-19 17:35:08

I'd like to find ELVIS under the tree !
Alas ! It's going to be a BLUE XMAS
without him??????????

24Bellfield Tue 10-Dec-19 17:44:39

James Martin would be very nice to find under my tree - he could help me to cook the xmas dinner

24Bellfield Tue 10-Dec-19 17:47:29

I would like to find James Martin under my tree - not only is he nice to look at, but he can help make our xmas dinner.

MexicaliRose675 Tue 10-Dec-19 17:52:03

I'd love to find my late mother under the tree. She had
never known who her real mother was and although she said
that if she wasn't wanted, then she'd rather not know. It was
only after her death that I found out the truth about who her mother actually was (and of course, who was my own grandmother) and the reasons she was never told the truth.
I'd love to be able to enlighten her because if she knew the truth, I know she'd understand and be happy about it.

SilverFox1945 Tue 10-Dec-19 17:53:06

I would love to see my only child, Robert, again - just to try to understand what made him leave his parents, partner and three children, some 13 years ago. There is such an empty space in our lives.....

Jeanieallergy21 Tue 10-Dec-19 18:01:54

I'd love to find my Mum under the Christmas tree. She's 93 years old and hasn't left home for many years - we live 120 miles away so we're not likely to get a visit in the future. Would love to see her watching her two-year-old great-grandson opening his presents on Christmas Day!

Dixie66 Tue 10-Dec-19 18:24:00

New book lady glenconner has written. Plus a nice cosy pair of socks and dressing gown to keep me warm. Whilst my heads in a book.

Morganrae Tue 10-Dec-19 18:30:15

My dad I miss him so much.

rugroba Tue 10-Dec-19 18:56:27

Just love will suffice!

TeresaC Tue 10-Dec-19 19:06:51

Joe, my boyfriend, as yet again we have to spend Christmas apart as we visit our own elderly parents in different parts of the country.

mariabaldy Tue 10-Dec-19 19:09:20

I would like to find Tom Walker under my tree, he is so down to earth and he could entertain us with his marvellous voice

beastiemama Tue 10-Dec-19 19:23:06

I'd love to find my parents, who died in 1999 &2001, under the Christmas tree.They and my 5 younger grandchildren could meet each other, and my children and 2 older grandchildren, my husband and I would so love to see them again.

anzie Tue 10-Dec-19 19:32:19

I would love to find my 96 year old Auntie Iris from Bundaberg in Australia. She was a £10 Pom who made her way there with her two young daughters almost 70 years ago.
She is a great character who still lives independently.

payens1 Tue 10-Dec-19 19:53:09

Will Smith as the Genie in Aladdin, he can grant my wishes anytime!

JonFlorrie Tue 10-Dec-19 19:56:23

I think Grayson Perry would be VERY entertaining if I found him under my tree this year. Hopefully he'd be in one of his frocks and we could have a lovely discussion about wearing flamboyant clothes! I love that he gets design students' input into what he will be wearing next.
(Why should little grand-daughter get all the fun in dressing up??)

Cats1965 Tue 10-Dec-19 20:00:33

I would love to find Kenny Everett under my tree as he could make my whole family laugh! He seemed a lovely man :-)

MrsNotgotalot Tue 10-Dec-19 20:52:28

Gino D'Acampo. Apart from the fact he is so handsome, sexy and funny, hopefully he would cook me a fantastic Christmas dinner!

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion