Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win over £800 of brilliant books for Christmas

(1001 Posts)
CariGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 18-Nov-19 11:41:32

It's that time of year again...

If you are stuck for gift ideas for family/friends, look no further than our round-up of the best books for Christmas. From psychological thrillers to women's fiction, autobiographies to cookbooks (and everything in between), there really is something for everyone.

And, as ever, we are giving one lucky person the chance to win everything featured on the page...worth over £800. All you have to do is tell us, on this thread, who you'd most like to find under your tree this Christmas (and why).

We will be drawing a winner at random at midday on Monday 16 December. Terms and conditions apply - more details on the page.

--

As this thread has reached the 1,000 post limit we've started a new one for you to enter on which you can find here.

Foxglove77 Thu 05-Dec-19 16:47:10

Elvis Presley! He could sing me some of my favourite Elvis songs.

hopezibah Thu 05-Dec-19 16:55:17

I'd love to find Miranda Hart under the tree - I reckon it would be great to have her visit for Christmas. I laughed loads reading both her autobiography books.

Hotmenopause Thu 05-Dec-19 16:59:43

My late Mum so I could introduce her to her new great grandchild x

WowOoo Thu 05-Dec-19 18:22:47

I'd like my dad to be there so that he could meet his grandchildren and catch up on the last 30 years.

Topg1rl Thu 05-Dec-19 18:29:00

It would be amazing to find my daughter Mary under the tree. She's got a new job teaching in Thailand and will spend this Christmas helping out in an elephant sanctuary. The whole family will miss her greatly.

brendanelson1 Thu 05-Dec-19 19:43:17

The great christmas washing up dishes fairy so I can eat, sit back with a gin and read a good book!

Cherylrov Thu 05-Dec-19 20:07:07

I would love to find my late mum under the tree as she died many years ago and I would tell her that I am turning intoa version of her as I have got older myself

Sackm Thu 05-Dec-19 22:39:32

I would like to find the band Keane under my xmas tree as then I could get a private rendition of their latest album Cause and Effect and hear Tom Chaplin's lovely voice live.

emmawerthers Fri 06-Dec-19 00:53:53

I would absolutely love to find David Attenborough under my tree. I'd ask him if he could read one of these books to me, as a special Christmas treat, and then wallow in the gorgeousness of his voice. The most incredible Christmas treat , EVER!

JoPublick Fri 06-Dec-19 11:14:28

A billionaire.
I'll let him go when he's made me managing director at his new national network of refillable drinks bottling plants.

vanbandi Fri 06-Dec-19 12:51:13

I would like to find my sister with my little nephew

Fleuramum1 Fri 06-Dec-19 13:27:36

Michael Buble
its Christmas after all
smile

goldenkippers Fri 06-Dec-19 13:40:36

David Attenborough.

mmmm Fri 06-Dec-19 16:51:04

I know it's ridiculous but ever since I was a little girl, I have asked Santa for a horse for Christmas. I never got one (living in a flat didn't help)! I relished every little interaction I had with horses, my mum scraped money together to let me go trekking a couple of times a year. I turned 50 this year, my 2 children are grown so I took the plunge and started riding lessons. I am absolutely loving it! My husband asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I asked for a horse, it won't happen this year but perhaps in a couple of years once I can ride proficiently and have attended horse care courses.

sasquatch Fri 06-Dec-19 18:22:34

I'd love to see a younger me
Standing beneath the xmas tree
And tell her don't stress
Settle for more, not less!
And don't be afraid to say what you think....
Because life is too short... its gone in a blink!

Grumpywitch Fri 06-Dec-19 19:09:49

I would like the money expert Martin Lewis under my ree he might give me ideas on how to pay my maxed out credit card !

heatherjw Fri 06-Dec-19 20:29:57

I would like to see my friend Nitzana who lives in Australia. We have only managed to meet face to face once in 30 years

yardby5 Fri 06-Dec-19 21:19:07

I’d like to find Luciano Pavarotti singing ‘Oh Holy Night’ the most beautiful carol ever, or anything else of his choice, his voice was divine.

Bevjane Sat 07-Dec-19 09:38:51

My new baby grand daughter - who lives in New Zealand!

vinniegarth Sat 07-Dec-19 10:16:15

I would love to see my mum one more time. She died in March and she loved Christmas. She had more joy watching everyone open their presents than her own. On second thoughts that may be too hard having to say goodbye again so soon.

maianaomim Sat 07-Dec-19 14:09:50

I would love Monty Don under the tree, for all my gardening questions....he would also be welcome to stay for Christmas dinner.

Hawkpigg Sat 07-Dec-19 17:28:22

Under the tree this year? My lovely, funny, clever, generous, thoughtful dad, please.
Almost ten years since we lost him, and I still miss him every single day ...

Rabbit Sat 07-Dec-19 18:25:26

I would love to find my first and only Teddy: he was the colour of milk chocolate and made of foam rubber. He was light-weight and fitted in my school bag. I sadly lost him when we moved homes too many times... I hope somebody gave him a loving home!

Lulabell Sat 07-Dec-19 23:23:55

I'd most like to find my partner under my tree as we've never spent Christmas together.

Iamnotanapple Sun 08-Dec-19 01:14:55

I would like to find a baby dragon, that would be really cool. I was going to go for something more sensible and emotional like a lot of people have asked for loved ones that have passed to be under their tree and I would love to speak to my Mum and Dad again but hey a dragon is no less a possibility is it whilst we are letting our imagination run wild. It would have to be a baby dragon because then it would get to love me whilst it was young so it wouldn't be tempted to eat me when it grew up. It would have to be a big dragon so I could fit it with a harness and ride on its back as it flew. Imagine how cool a Grannie I'd be with my own pet dragon.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion