Gransnet forums

Competitions

Harrington’s baby gowns.

(39 Posts)
Missfoodlove Sat 30-May-20 17:45:20

My children as babies wore little Harrington’s gowns for the first few weeks of their life.
Soft brushed cotton and easy access to the nappy!!
My daughter is expecting number 2 in July and I would like to find her some.
Any ideas as to where I can get them?

ninathenana Sun 31-May-20 13:12:59

Mine lived in baby grows for the first 9 mths or so unless we were leaving the house. There are some really cute ones available.
I'm pretty sure my daughter wouldn't use these.

dizzyblonde Sun 31-May-20 13:35:21

My Mum bought me some when I had my daughter. I did try and use them but found them a nightmare to get on over her head. Once Mum had gone home I never used them again. Babygro for the first few weeks which were much easier to insert baby into and then a sleeping bag which opened at the bottom so easy to change night nappies on the very odd occasion I had to do a middle of the night change.

trisher Sun 31-May-20 13:51:50

I had a couple. Never used them because of the getting over the head problem. Baby grows popper down the front so can be removed easily. For those nighties you need to sit the baby up while you lift the back forwards over their head or lift the front over their face. Nightmare if the nappy has leaked.

GrannyLaine Sun 31-May-20 13:55:43

When I had my first baby , Babygro had only just started producing their sleep suits - I still have an original. I did have a couple of the nighties but actually found them a pain. They crease and ruck up and have to be ironed. Lovely to look at folded in a drawer though. Give me babygros for new babies any day.
Good advice to check with your daughter Missfoodlove. As my daughters are fond of reminding me distance lends enchantment and its a fair point.

Callistemon Sun 31-May-20 14:34:55

If it's going to be a hot summer, shaped vests with poppers are very useful. They're cooler than a baby gro but keep them together iyswim

mcem Sun 31-May-20 14:50:28

The last baby in our family to use these pretty but impractical gowns is now 42!
My son (1986) was in babygrows right away. Not one DGC (from 21 down to 1) wore gowns.
I sincerely believe you 'd be better spending money on something practical that would actually be used!

narg Sun 31-May-20 15:01:45

JL have some.They are called baby bundlers. They have elastic at the bottom which is not tight.Both sets of my great grandchildren have worn them . They are lovely and do not ride up. They are so much easier to use at night when matching poppers seems so difficult ! My grandaughters loved them and asked me to buy them.

Missfoodlove Sun 31-May-20 18:01:45

narg, Thank you JL are out of stock but will email me when stock arrives.
I found a couple for my granddaughter but my daughter used them to death and threw them away, hence me searching for more. She far prefers them to babygro.

purpleXena Fri 07-Aug-20 23:25:00

Touched by Nature Fox Size 3-Pack Organic Cotton Gowns in Beige my daughter was bought similar to these in organic cotton from Amazon.co.uk. price about £ 12\13 for 3. They are beautiful.

Oopsminty Fri 07-Aug-20 23:30:18

My grandparents purchased some for my eldest child. They were lovely.

The next two children had babygros which I must say I do prefer

maddyone Sat 08-Aug-20 00:01:42

My sister gave me some of those nighties secondhand, and I used them with my firstborn at night. I didn’t bother with them for the next two, just used babygros.

ElaineI Sat 08-Aug-20 00:02:02

I used them on all 3 but they are very old fashioned now and would definitely ask first before buying.

BBbevan Sat 08-Aug-20 04:20:15

Does anyone remember the flannel jackets for wearing over the nighties ? They were an ecru colour and you embroidered them and blanket stitched the edges. I had several for my DD born in 1965, but couldn't find any for DS in 1971 .