Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win Learning Resources goodies worth over £200 *NOW CLOSED*

(391 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 11-Jun-20 09:44:24

We've teamed up with educational toy and games company Learning Resources to offer a fantastic bundle of prizes to one gransnetter worth over £200 - perfect for grandchildren who are being homeschooled.

More details on the prize can be found HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 11th July.

During the coronavirus lockdown, many grandparents have (virtually) stepped in to support parents and children with home learning. It’s been an important way to stay connected but it’s also been a huge help to parents.

So to enter simply tell us... What have you found has worked for your grandchildren with home learning, and has this, and having to stay in touch virtually in general, changed your relationships with your grandchildren?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

max24 Sat 11-Jul-20 22:26:49

Ive been teaching my grandchildren how to grow plants outside in garden and how food you grow to eat and what to cook with whats grown too and its important to enjoy the outside space as my grandchildren live in a flat no garden

Dartzie62 Sat 11-Jul-20 20:12:20

Has to be routine, so they know when they need to be doing schooling. Plus to make it fun, where they want to learn.

ChronicallyChloe Sat 11-Jul-20 10:45:00

Making it fun and being creative prevents the kids from seeing it as a chore or getting restless. But if they do: Reward minutes with prizes such as family time, watching TV/a film or an extra sweet treat does the trick. It doesn’t have to cost anything!

portkey Sat 11-Jul-20 10:32:56

Having a routine has helped and showing their work virtually too has helped so they get positive feedback.

Jeanetteleighton1979 Sat 11-Jul-20 10:21:07

Lots of learning through play and educational videos , counting songs and games are fab and tend to stick in their memory , Charlie 3 loves songs

2monstermonkeys Sat 11-Jul-20 10:18:46

We have been video chatting with our grandchildren to see what they have been up to and reading them stories. They have been doing lots of construction and water play which has been interesting to talk about.

molly57 Sat 11-Jul-20 10:04:44

Lockdown has not changed my relationship with my grandchildren at all.

SusanCarter Sat 11-Jul-20 09:08:15

Making it fun. Incorporating learning into everything you do, be it baking or garden play. Plenty of time outdoors and less sitting at a table.

paulineb Sat 11-Jul-20 08:56:20

Their school has been brilliant and set work for them everyday that has to be uploaded and then marked. They receive points for their work depending how well they've done. Whatsapp has been a godsend for me to keep in touch. Being able to chat and answer questions as well as ask them. Giving heaps of praise and encouragement. We now go for walks around the lakes at the local RSPB reserve and get to spend special times outdoors where we can chat and have fun albeit still not cuddling. I've also spent about an hour every day on the phone talking to my daughter to help relieve the stress of homeschooling and to give her encouragement too. She's done an absolutely brilliant job. I'm very proud of them all

crosscat12 Sat 11-Jul-20 08:21:42

It has to be fun linking learning to favourite stories works with my granddaughters

Radley Sat 11-Jul-20 06:40:35

Keep to a routine and stay positive

DimensionAEB Sat 11-Jul-20 03:52:22

You have to try and stick to some sort of timetable and routine that mirrors what children are used to at school.

Mazzy12 Sat 11-Jul-20 00:13:23

Lots and lots of praise, laughter, love, hugs and kisses

Skylark5902 Fri 10-Jul-20 23:27:32

I have tried to make sure they received things in the post, including models, craft boxes and joke books etc. We have zoomed and read stories and took part in virtual scavenger hunts. The most important thing has been to try and emphasise the positive aspects of lockdown, not only for them but us as well!

Dodo123 Fri 10-Jul-20 22:56:45

Definitely sticking to the school timetable. Great for routine. Getting fresh air and staying in contact through social media and facetime.

Hooble Fri 10-Jul-20 22:12:04

I think it's been important to provide a range of activities. Ones that help develop reading fluency, creativity and imagination. What's also important is to ensure they are up to date with working on computers and using things like coding. I wish I'd had the Coding Robot from Learning Resources to help my children.
We've also been outdoors gardening the Kidnoculars would have helped them to look really closely at the bugs and flowers and leaves in the garden.

Jeanetteleighton1979 Fri 10-Jul-20 22:00:30

Learning through play like counting songs and the alphabet , keeping it as exciting as possible and lots of praise

jacqui21 Fri 10-Jul-20 21:47:21

Breaks, treats to work towards. Encouragement and praise. Learning together

kazzycomp12 Fri 10-Jul-20 20:34:22

having fun working through problems

Agwilson Fri 10-Jul-20 19:47:04

Sharing bed time stories over FaceTime has been so lovely. Our grandsons aged 8 and 6 have been more willing to read, the older one reading a chapter per night about a cabbage loving Grandma! They compare this to me which we all laugh about. The younger one reading a short book. Pure joy to share this time, blow a goodnight kiss and see Mum tuck them up in bed safe and sound.

Marionp1 Fri 10-Jul-20 19:21:45

Getting their school work done in the mornings, leaving them free to do some craft or play outside and then a longer walk in the evening after tea, they are lucky to have some wooded areas close by. We have contacted each other via video messaging especially when home working parents needed them to be diverted for a while during on line work meetings, we have remained very close but all miss those hugs!

Watermaid Fri 10-Jul-20 19:18:00

mine are still little, so making it fun and having a soft routine that is still flexible has been a way forward, also found story telling was a favourite, good practice for sitting still and listening. Lots of giggles so must be doing something right

Tete Fri 10-Jul-20 18:59:07

Making it fun and bringing the outside in, on their daily walks I told them items to collect pine cones, leaves etc, then I use to do a Nature come art class with them over the internet it was great fun they loved it I loved it we laughed and chatted away together and hopefully they learnt a few things and we made some lovely things together, I’ve embraced FaceTime so much in these times before I rarely did it now it’s part of the daily routine love it

AJL123 Fri 10-Jul-20 18:38:41

We have found that a routine is good but also to be flexible depending on mood and weather. We have done a lot of nature walks and maths games. We have enjoyed using the technology to keep in touch.

adamharding2 Fri 10-Jul-20 18:21:38

More creative activities to keep them more focussed and interested