Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a pan set and a copy of What Can I Do? by Jane Fonda - together worth over £100 *NOW CLOSED*

(702 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 08-Sep-20 10:24:07

To celebrate the release of What Can I Do? by Jane Fonda, we've teamed up with HQ to offer one lucky gransnetter the chance to win the Prestige Eco Non-Stick Saucepan Set, along with a hardback copy of the book. Three runners-up will also win a copy of the book.

More details on the prize can be found HERE and T&Cs HERE. We will pick a winner after 11am on 8th October.

To enter simply tell us... What steps (big or small) are you taking to help the climate crisis?

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already.

And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox...

Teamug Tue 08-Sep-20 10:29:23

i have found myself in lockdown clearing out all the unwanted things in my home, i have donated to charity some clothing and sold other items and started a fund for treats for all the family starting with a dozen bottles of wine to share ,mainly i am just keeping busy.

Grandmamaoftwo Tue 08-Sep-20 11:02:03

Recycled everything that can be, and avoid anything going to landfill.
Reduced my carbon footprint. Grown plants specifically for the bees and other wildlife.
I've found even making small changes can make big differences.

Cs783 Tue 08-Sep-20 11:11:07

Much less fossil-fuelled travel.

Kate1949 Tue 08-Sep-20 11:28:10

We recycle all our household waste, recycle clothing we don't need. We recycle books etc
We have also cut down on plastic - plastic bags, containers etc.

GeminiJen Tue 08-Sep-20 11:41:55

In a world of more than seven billion people, each of us is a drop in the bucket. But with enough drops, we can fill any bucket
I don't recall who said this, but it struck a chord.
These are some of the steps I take:
All lightbulbs now energy efficient
Wash clothes in cold or lukewarm water
Hang clothes out to dry in the open air
Use energy wisely: e.g. unplug computers, TVs and other electronic devices when not in use
Eat more meat-free meals
Buy organic and local wherever possible
Grow own food as much as possible
Eat fruits and vegetables in season
Consume less
Waste less
Recycle/upcycle
Walk, cycle, use public transport, car share
Avoid air travel
....And that's just for starters...smile

Nortsat Tue 08-Sep-20 11:42:46

Listing unworn clothes on eBay.
Donating unworn jewellery to charity.
Older items or worn items of clothing to the clothes bank.
Careful recycling of household waste.

walnutwhip Tue 08-Sep-20 12:05:50

Recycling. Using sites like Olio and Too Good To Go to reduce waste.

Furret Tue 08-Sep-20 12:25:51

I'm an environmental warrior! I do everything I can from sourcing green energy, to growing my own veg in my own compost, to leaving plastic behind at the tills, to getting a hybrid car and only eating meat rarely and then all free range.

I know it's just a drop in the ocean but ....

Maggiemaybe Tue 08-Sep-20 13:00:07

We've never been the sort to re-decorate every year, replace perfectly good furniture, etc, but I'm buying even less "stuff" now, for us and for others. Presents are usually experiences, consumables or books, I'm adapting and wearing the many outfits I already have. DH has an allotment, so grows a lot of our fruit and veg, we eat very little meat, have started using a refill shop for some household cleaners, etc. We peg laundry out when the weather allows, walk and use public transport (in normal times) instead of getting the car out. Recycle religiously, but would rather not buy in the first place. When the grandchildren come here, they play with toys I've either saved from when their parents were young, or have bought from the charity shop. We've always used bar soap and loose tea. My children used to make fun of our frugal ways, but they're following them now. smile

happysouls Tue 08-Sep-20 13:42:09

I don't buy un-necessary things, I don't waste anything. I re-use, recycle and mend! I avoid wasting energy!

Magsd Tue 08-Sep-20 13:47:52

I’ve been growing my own vegetables this year and plan to continue next year and expand the variety. I’ve also put led lighting everywhere at home and had solar panels fitted.

Bryanmurphy1956 Tue 08-Sep-20 13:48:06

I am now using Bamboo straws instead of disposable plastic ones

godiva1107 Tue 08-Sep-20 13:49:16

I cycle, re-cycle, cycle some more, and re-cycle some more.

maciv234 Tue 08-Sep-20 14:00:56

i recycle as much as i can and only use what we need

wooden Tue 08-Sep-20 14:24:29

Recycled old furniture very impressed with myself

mbody Tue 08-Sep-20 14:41:46

Got rid of all soap dispensers and am back to soap dishes with good old fashioned bars of soap.

lablass Tue 08-Sep-20 14:45:31

I recycle everything I can
Give unwanted items to charity
Grow my own organic veg
Use water butts and compost bins
All light bulbs in my house are energy saving
I do not travel by air and use buses or walk instead of a car
I never leave electronics on standby
My house is well insulated
I am vegetarian
I avoid buying plastic as much as possible

commandervimes Tue 08-Sep-20 14:53:35

buy local, take my own tupperware, compost and recycle at home, turned over garden and allotment to feed family, less travel, don't use pesticides or cut my lawn and provide food for birds, squirrels, hedgehogs etc.

Tapdance6 Tue 08-Sep-20 14:57:22

I always take my own shopping bags with me when I go shopping to avoid plastic bags. The small fold up bags are great for keeping in your handbag, these can be rinsed in the sink to keep clean. Hang everything out on the line if weather permits if not I have a clothes airer which dries the washing inside. Recycle :- cardboard ,newspapers and anything else that can be recycled. I have never bought lot's of clothes or handbags as I don't need them to keep up with the fashion.

Westcoaster Tue 08-Sep-20 15:17:52

We have a whole collection of shopping bags which saves the need for plastic bags in shops ... looking forward to getting a new local supermarket in a couple of months so we can stay local. Also have some little bags for loose fruit and veg ... sadly this usually means paying more than for packaged stuff.

Everything possible is recycled or composted.
We don't over-buy food or clothes so less wastage.
Although we have the car (aged mother lives a distance away, public transport not an option for the journey) we do try and walk when we can instead of driving.

Also encouraging and teaching the grand-kids how to be kind to the environment.

bruce1959 Tue 08-Sep-20 15:29:24

I walk, cycle, recycle.

fevertree Tue 08-Sep-20 15:36:43

We have cut down on our intake of red meat.

compfan Tue 08-Sep-20 15:39:28

I dont keep a car anymore, eat vegetarian food, cook from scratch, shower only when necessary and keep the central heating off.

Claire11 Tue 08-Sep-20 16:09:48

We don't ear meat more than once a week. Eating mainly veggie food. Recycle everything we can. Out waste bin is collected every two weeks and is put out very nearly empty