Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a £100 Amazon voucher, a copy of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter and a bundle of her best selling books worth £55

(683 Posts)
LucyBGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 15-Apr-21 10:06:59

To celebrate the release of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter, we've teamed up with HarperCollins to offer one lucky Gransnetter the chance to win a £100 Amazon voucher and a set of 5 bestselling Karin Slaughter books, including her latest paperback, The Silent Wife, and an early proof copy of her new book, False Witness – not out until June!

The bundle includes:
- The Silent Wife (RRP £8.99)
- False Witness (exclusive early proof copy) (RRP £20.00)
- The Good Daughter (RRP £8.99)
- Pieces of Her (RRP £8.99)
- The Last Widow (RRP £8.99)

4 runners up will each receive a copy of The Silent Wife by Karin Slaughter.

To enter simply tell us... What is your favourite crime/thriller book and what do you love about reading thrillers? We will be picking a winner after 11am on 13th May.

You must be a registered Gransnet user to enter. Sign up to Gransnet HERE if you haven't done so already. And don't forget to sign up to our newsletter to get the latest competitions delivered straight to your inbox…

You can find out more about The Silent Wife here:

Looking for your next page-turner? Make Karin Slaughter’s latest thriller, The Silent Wife, your new read. This No.1 Sunday Times crime thriller is full of twists and turns, with characters you’ll root for and an emotional punch that will leave you reeling. If you haven’t read Karin Slaughter before, now is the time!

He watches.
A woman runs alone in the woods. She convinces herself she has no reason to be afraid, but she’s wrong. A predator is stalking the women of Grant County. He lingers in the shadows, until the time is just right to snatch his victim.

He waits.
A decade later, the case has been closed. The killer is behind bars. But then another young woman is brutally attacked and left for dead, and the MO is identical.

He takes.
Although the original trail has gone cold – memories have faded, witnesses have disappeared – agent Will Trent and forensic pathologist Sara Linton must re-open the cold case. But the clock is ticking, and the killer is determined to find his perfect silent wife….

Competition T&Cs apply - find them here

WH57 Fri 30-Apr-21 17:21:19

Cara Hunter, I love the DI Fawley books and I can really relate as they are based in and around Oxford which is local for me. Trying to work out who the murderer is before the end is part of why I love these kind of books so much

KathPS Fri 30-Apr-21 18:56:55

I love a good crime thriller , having recently retired i have just finished reading The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter, so great to have the time to to enjoy a afternoon read ,

huntfish Fri 30-Apr-21 19:01:43

I read so many and follow many detectives series so to pick one book is very hard, so those that quickly come to mind are Roy Grace by Peter James, DCI Banks by Peter Robinson, DCI Logan by JD Kirk and DCI Ryan by LJ Ross, but so many more that are just as good.

Davymet Fri 30-Apr-21 20:43:30

Stieg Larsson trilogy, top notch thrillers.

helenrj Fri 30-Apr-21 22:40:21

Love the Perfect series by Helen Fields My favourite is Perfect Crime. Although quite gruesome I love the twists and turns of the plot and the minute details until the criminal is caught So different to my everyday life

BigBertha1 Sat 01-May-21 05:51:15

I read psychological thrillersto try to get some insights into aberrant human behaviour. Lisa Jewells books are absorbing. Her characterisations are totally plausible and I'm always sorry when the book ends. I was particularly affected by The Family Upstairs. The insidious development of a sinister cult in a quiet residential street.

Beryl1955 Sat 01-May-21 06:27:15

Rachael Abbott nowhere child is a good read.

tupelohoney Sat 01-May-21 10:59:58

Patricia Cornwell gets my vote, particularly the Kay Scarpetta novels which are a great mix of suspense and science. Also another Patricia, as in Highsmith, is full of intrigue, mystery and jeopardy.

pugsley29 Sat 01-May-21 14:43:44

I like historical thrillers like Bram Stokers Dracula, some real gems to find, the book that scared me the most was The Rats by James Herbert as is was based where I lived at the time and had to go on the Central Line Tube for work.

Buddy2010 Sat 01-May-21 15:02:21

The Teacher. Katherine Diamond, but any good book that permits escapism, love kindle as can swap and change authors and with unlimited don’t feel I have to read something I find boring as does not feel like wasting money. I do enjoy a paperback though as still feels like a proper reading session.

Yvonne25 Sat 01-May-21 17:27:22

Is there a gransnet group in either Bishops waltham or wickham...Feeling a bit diwn as i moved here..then lockdown occurred..so im billy no mates...

kantak Sat 01-May-21 21:15:09

I absolutely loved reading Running Girl by Simon Mason. It kept me on the edge the whole time. Guessing who's the criminal and who's innocent never stopped. I love reading thrillers as they are a gripping read - I won't put my book away unless I know what I don't know yet.

paulsgran Sun 02-May-21 10:50:07

I love the Agatha Raisin series of books by M C Beaton. They have many a twist but are light enough to be read before bed! {wink}

Foxielady Sun 02-May-21 11:24:40

I loved Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh, thrillers are best for me because the suspense keeps me addicted. My menopause brain flits about too much but a good thriller captivates, so it's relaxing in a sick sort of way.

kissngate Sun 02-May-21 16:03:00

I loved The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair by Joel Di.... which I read about six years ago.
It kept me guessing from start to finish. However it took me a long time to read as I was No. 1 sick bucket emptier at the time being holed up in a tiny flat in London with pregnant daughter.

Really enjoyed Girl with Dragon Tattoo books. Also all the Harry Hole series. Ive read quite a few Karin Slaughter books but enjoy the Will Trent series the most.

May7 Sun 02-May-21 19:37:17

Minette Walters is one of my favourite crime writers and many of her books have been adapted for television. My favourite is The Sculptress portrayed wonderfully by Pauline Quirke

Lorelei Sun 02-May-21 21:27:55

Can't remember whether or not I posted on this thread or just read a few other posts! Not sure I have a favourite in this genre but do go through phases of reading spy thrillers, crime thrillers, historical or modern etc - often if I like a book I will blitz a few more by the same author - I did the same years ago with things like the Tom Clancy novels, reading titles like 'Cardinal of the Kremlin', 'Patriot Games' & 'The Hunt For Read October' in one sitting. A few years ago I won a set of 5 books by Kerry Wilkinson (I think from the Jessica Daniels series) and must've enjoyed them as I read all 5.

The important thing for me is characters I find interesting and/or can relate to, a storyline that makes me want to find out more and a good plot that makes me think, fires imagination, keeps me guessing. If I'm not engaged in the first few pages there's a chance I will shelve reading the rest - some authors have a great talent for getting a hold of their readers in the first lines/paragraphs and not letting them go - these are the ones I'm most likely to read multiple titles.

I think I have at least 1 Karin Slaughter title in one of my 'to be read' boxes and keep meaning to get a copy of 'Like a Charm', the short story anthology by several writers - I believe Karin Slaughter wrote the first & last stories in this book.

ak1065 Sun 02-May-21 22:01:13

The Girl on the Train
I like the suspense aspect to reading thrillers , and trying to predict the outcome

sted Sun 02-May-21 22:21:02

I am very fond of the Bryant and May series by Christopher Fowler, I enjoy the wierdness.

Felum1 Sun 02-May-21 23:27:21

So many to choose from but I'll go with Martina Cole The Jump.

I love crime thrillers, from the suspense and twists and turns to a book that I just can't put down.

I usually guess who the murderer is, but not always and I always read to the end to see if I was right and why they did it.

kathward Mon 03-May-21 07:14:34

The spy who came in from the cold. It has to be a John le Carre novel. and this is an all time classic. I love espionage novels and this is one of the best.

Tabs1 Mon 03-May-21 10:28:23

Read all Karen Slaughter - great USA writer. Love Val McDermid (Scottish) and Ian Rankin (also Scottish)

vigournet Mon 03-May-21 10:36:37

My favourite thriller book is The Runaway Jury by John Grisham. I love it as it brings me into the story.

ktmd Mon 03-May-21 10:55:00

Love Scaredy Cat by Mark Billingham. You can get lost in a good thriller! Love to keep guessing!

Libby01 Mon 03-May-21 11:57:45

My favourite crime book is The Stranger Beside me by Anne Rule, it is based on a true story of her friendship with the serial killer Ted Bundy, how they worked together and how hard it was for her to accept that he was a serial killer.