Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Coronavirus - are older people being treated as expendable?

(427 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 12-Mar-20 10:05:23

We've been contacted by some media channels wanting to know how you feel about this? Any thoughts?

anniezzz09 Thu 12-Mar-20 10:11:42

Well curiously, I just came across this article shared on Facebook:

www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/world/europe/economy-britain-coronavirus.html?fbclid=IwAR2EezLPt5WcYhae9xUS-VxvWwc0nfARQBIJNbJhsiug6vAogQkcWwWRdO8

The headline is U.K. Shields Its Economy From the Virus, but Not Yet Its People

I have noticed mutterings for some days on social media about the amount of shrugging and denying the seriousness of the pandemic coming from those who consider themselves well or in an age group that won't be especially affected.

It does feel as though that is especially happening in the UK and given what appears to be common knowledge that we don't have sufficient staff or equipment, especially ventilators. What else is one going to think?

Barmeyoldbat Thu 12-Mar-20 10:22:30

Annie I agree with you, you only had to look at a gathering of 5,000 at Cheltenham Races, why wasn't it cancelled. It seems to me that the younger people are not particularly bothered about spreading it.

aggie Thu 12-Mar-20 10:35:51

On tv this morning a doctor implied that if we don’t have signed a form to be cared for we will be shuffled off

ninathenana Thu 12-Mar-20 11:06:56

I'm not sure about the question posed in the thread title.
However, it's a little close for comfort to know that the day centre DS attends is closed until further notice as someone has had contact with someone who's tested positive.
I agree all large gatherings should be cancelled. Arsenal cancelled their match last night.

tickingbird Thu 12-Mar-20 11:25:53

To a young person anyone over 50 is considered ancient. Once you reach that age you realise there's an awful lot of living yet to do and seeing as we have to work until much older I believe older people should be treated the same as anyone else. I, personally, still lead an active life, have a family that rely on me and enjoy my life more at the moment than I did when I was 30 years younger.

Riverwalk Thu 12-Mar-20 11:30:29

On the Today programme this morning (only half listening so don't know who the expert was) someone said words to the effect that every day doctors make decisions as to who will/won't benefit from further treatment so if there's a run on ITU beds it's likely that an older person with co-morbidities and less likely to survive will take second place to a younger healthier person.

Whether that's currently happening I don't know, but it's likely to as we don't have sufficient ITU facilities.

Welshwife Thu 12-Mar-20 11:32:02

Unfortunately I think that elderly - myself included - as well as people with an underlying condition are being considered expendable. It will save the exchequer a lot of money and they consider us to have passed being useful. Also with some people they will be doubly lucky as their children etc may need to pay inheritance tax!
They are generally taking a very cavalier attitude to all this - just been on the news that Irish schools will be closed from tomorrow.

tickingbird Thu 12-Mar-20 11:35:51

I was shocked to hear that there are only 50 ventilators in the country. My brother (who sadly passed in December with sepsis) was on a ventilator for two weeks in the ICU and I just assumed there was lots of them. It's scary.

janipat Thu 12-Mar-20 12:08:14

I really can't believe that figure tickingbird, that would mean that vast numbers of hospitals didn't even have one. Where did you get the information from?

harrigran Thu 12-Mar-20 12:16:30

To write off pensioners is very worrying.
Will the government please reassure us that murderers in prison will not be treated if the old are not ?
For sixty years DH has been a taxpayer and indeed is still giving the inland revenue 40% tax. We have never claimed one penny in benefit and have given to medical charities more than we spend on ourselves so to learn that we are a disposable commodity is very sad.

EllanVannin Thu 12-Mar-20 12:28:01

What about the homeless ? The alcoholics. ? The drug users ?

EllanVannin Thu 12-Mar-20 12:35:19

Where's all the NHS money gone if there are only so many ventilators ? Successive governments have ploughed millions into the NHS over the years, aren't we , the public who use the facility entitled to see where people's tax ends up ?

eazybee Thu 12-Mar-20 12:38:55

This sounds like engendering panic to me.

lemongrove Thu 12-Mar-20 13:03:59

ticking don’t worry, there are plenty of ventilators, that figure of 50 is just laughable ( too much fake news about.)

lemongrove Thu 12-Mar-20 13:06:16

I don’t agree at all that pensioners are being written off.
Far from it in fact, nearly everything being done is for our benefit, since younger and healthier people will only have mild symptoms with this virus.
Certainly, older people are the most worried, and with good reason, but that’s all it is.

Dinahmo Thu 12-Mar-20 13:07:34

Earlier I was talking to a friend with an Italian DIL The younger woman has several friends in the medical profession in Italy and apparently they are being told that any one over 60 should not be put on a ventilator. The medical staff are suffering severe stress because they have to take these decisions.

Listening to Jeremy Vine today there was an expert talking about children and how they are the least likely to get the virus and, if they do, it won't be as strong so they won't get so ill. However, children are a major source of infection, especially for those people who don't come across them very often so IMO perhaps more thought should be given to closing schools.

lemongrove Thu 12-Mar-20 13:11:37

That’s Italy though, not here.Different health systems in any case.
Also, beware fake news, and it’s mainly older people there who have even needed a ventilator.

MissAdventure Thu 12-Mar-20 13:25:50

No, I think everyone gets the same treatment, regardless of age, disability, health or otherwise.

anniezzz09 Thu 12-Mar-20 13:31:15

lemongrove I'd like to see you provide some figures as to the number of ventilators in the NHS and the numbers of staff available for ICU in the UK. It's easy to throw out everything as fake news if it suits your point of view.

As it happens, this article sets out the situation and makes it clear how unprepared this country is for a pandemic. Sorry it'#s from the Guardian who I'm sure you think is full of fake news!

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/03/icu-doctor-nhs-coronavirus-pandemic-hospitals

Oh and at the end it says: This article was amended on 9 March 2020 to say that Britain ranked 24th out of 31 European countries in terms of ICU beds per head of population, not 23rd as an earlier version said.

24th out of 31 countries in terms of ICU beds, so good to have the statistics!

Callistemon Thu 12-Mar-20 13:47:53

it's easy to throw out everything as fake news if this suits your point of view

Absolutely, anniezzz
That goes for all.

There are fewer ICU beds in Wales than anywhere else in the UK.

Most ICU beds are already occupied anyway.

Callistemon Thu 12-Mar-20 13:49:18

Fewer per capita

wildswan16 Thu 12-Mar-20 14:21:06

Unfortunately, if there are not enough intensive care beds or ECMO machines, then the medical staff just cannot give everyone the care they need. Can you imagine how difficult that decision is going to be for our doctors and nurses?

Who do you choose. The person with the best chance of recovery with the intensive care? We will be facing an unprecedented situation for which there is no solution.

tickingbird Thu 12-Mar-20 14:25:14

I can’t vouch for the 50 ventilator info but it came via tv news, probably skynews. It’s not something I read and it was last week I believe. I remember being shocked at such a small number.

GagaJo Thu 12-Mar-20 14:28:18

To be honest, although my family definitely still need me, I AM more expendable than my 30 year old daughter. She is the mum of a young child.

It isn't that I have a death wish, but in the order of priorities, I am not top.