Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Still impressed by BJ?

(239 Posts)
Greymar Thu 12-Mar-20 15:23:09

There were no strategies for protecting the vulnerable and there had been a failure to engage the public. “We have a superficial prime minister who has got no grasp of public health,” Ashton said. “Our lot are behaving like 19th-century colonialists playing a five-day game of cricket.

From John Ashton.

POGS Thu 19-Mar-20 19:22:38

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Labaik Thu 19-Mar-20 21:42:32

Profuse apologies POGS. I've been feeling rather tired and stressed so had a sleep [how dare I]. As has happened before [which had a similar reaction from you] I did not have the time to find the article. I did try for a while but then fell asleep. The reason I asked it in such a way was because I didn't know if it was true and I was hoping that someone might know. Can I also point out again that your tone when addressing people is downright abusive and I shall therefore stay away from here. Thank you....

GracesGranMK3 Thu 19-Mar-20 22:02:20

Everyone said in 2008 we bailed out th6e banks and didn't look after you this time will be different.

We're going to really make sure to look after the people who suffer economic consequences of what we're asking them, we're going to look after the people first.

Big from Boris. If he delivers this he has a huge legacy. This is the context of his entire Prime Ministership. His problem is that 50% of his party will see it as as a success if he does it and 50% will see it as a success if he doesn't. So far it seems the second 50% is winning as all the money is going directly to businesses.

POGS Thu 19-Mar-20 22:58:05

Labaik

POGS

'Can I also point out again that your tone when addressing people is downright abusive and I shall therefore stay away from here. Thank you'
--

Can I also point out you asked the following question on an open forum.

Labaik Thu 19-Mar-20 16:02:33
'Has anyone heard if this is true?'

My tone is not / was not downright abusive! I asked the question to try and answer your question which was interesting. Had you not posted obviously addressing my post to another poster I would not have returned to your original post but you were obviously viewing the thread so I thought it was reasonable timing.

POGS Thu 19-Mar-20 23:01:03

GNHQ

Why has my post been 19.22 been deleted?

Hetty58 Thu 19-Mar-20 23:12:39

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-uk-update-boris-johnson-ventilators-eu-procurement-a9411741.html

The man appears to be a complete idiot - my opinion of him has not changed. He wants to gamble on UK production of ventilators (gamble with our lives - nice!).

www.wired.co.uk/article/car-manufacturers-ventilators

Labaik Thu 19-Mar-20 23:19:00

'Journalists have been trying to discover whether the government has indeed decided to shun this route to providing desperately needed equipment to save people's lives, and if so how it can possibly justify this. The government has not been responding to their enquiries'.
...this is at the end of the article which I have now found. I can't print it in it's entirety because it is on a private page. The full article was written by a doctor.

Labaik Thu 19-Mar-20 23:19:39

Thanks Hetty....

Labaik Tue 24-Mar-20 12:40:49

This is a message from Ireland; I can't give further details as it's a private facebook page..
'We have a ventilator factory in Galway, Ireland, that's going from an 8 hr day to a 24 hour day to double (possibly triple production).
But since you guys wilfully refused the EU's medical assistance not more than four days ago, those machines are going to the 27 other EU countries as first priority.
Think about that when your relatives are going to a ward to die in 4 weeks time'
I don't wish to be political at a time like this but the government need to be held to account if this is correct. And I've just read that a hospital in Newcastle are sending patients home because the hospital is in lockdown due to the number of coronavirus deaths..

Callistemon Tue 24-Mar-20 19:51:03

That message tells me that EU countries were unprepared too, the same as Ireland.

Callistemon Tue 24-Mar-20 19:51:50

Newcastle in NI?

Callistemon Tue 24-Mar-20 19:54:45

Are you talking about the Republic of Ireland?
Why are they prioritising other EU countries before their own country?
Very altruistic but?

Labaik Tue 24-Mar-20 22:00:08

It's because we haven't signed up to the agreement that the EU offered us membership of; we have effectively refused the equipment.