Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

It's already depressing me

(159 Posts)
Madwoman11 Sun 15-Mar-20 17:45:34

Everyone's plans are being cancelled, and it is already effecting my mood. I had so many things to look forward to, but all organised events and classes are being cancelled.
Top that with age and health related restrictions which will probably have many of us prisoners, and it's looking like a long lonely year ahead.
I'm a very motivated person, but it will be no fun if you live alone especially. As the weather warms up I will enjoy sitting outside, and perhaps organise family bbqs etc.
At the moment Spring cleaning is getting done, but I have to say I'm already bored.

rafichagran Wed 18-Mar-20 19:31:31

Annie flowers. I dont know what to suggest other than asking if a district nurse can come round and help you. Is that a possibility? X

Luckygirl Wed 18-Mar-20 17:35:47

Could I also suggest Spotify - a world of music at the touch of a button. I have it playing all day and have found some real gems.

Luckygirl Wed 18-Mar-20 17:24:47

MawB - I do understand how you feel. As you know my OH died at the beginning of February and the last few weeks have been weepy ones. But there were moments when I managed to get my act together: picking up GC and giving them tea, having a meal at one of my DDs, running my singing group etc. They were helping me through. And now these are all gone. I know it will be hard; but I am trying to find positive things to do: daily exercise, poetry course online, music practice - and now the Berlin Phil - thank you for the link. This is enforced isolation has come at a particularly bad time for me - although I know it is a bad time for everyone.

Thank you everyone for all the links and ideas on here.

M0nica Wed 18-Mar-20 17:01:40

Mpf41 I have just got in from doing the same as you, spent a fortune on veg seed, fertiliser,potting compost and a couple of climbing roses.

On Monday, I went round house and garden with pen and pad in hand listing all the little things that needed doing/I would like to do. These include the garden, redecorating and making curtains. DH did the same and now we are rushing round making sure we have got all the materials we need. Garden Centre today, DIY store tomorrow and curtain fabric on Friday.

My 'things I intend to do' list is now so long, I may need an extra three months in quarantine!

Madwoman11 Wed 18-Mar-20 14:11:04

Thank you all for your ideas. Some lovely replies, and some sad ones. Love to all ❤

Mypennyfarthing41 Tue 17-Mar-20 18:30:35

This is for Madwomanfarthing11.
I know just how you feel, but for a change, instead of driving myself totally potty, wondering what happens after we leave this mortal coil, who will meet me etc etc... total nutcase, l've had a bright light idea, I'm relining curtains, it's not even mind numbing, it's a job l've put off doing for ages, and now l really have the time. Also I've been out this morning spent over £110 on seeds, had a lesson on how to grow potatoes in a large pot...in layers... bought loads of veg and salad seeds, l have two greenhouses - I've pinched my husband's one too - mine is roofless...not to worry... also have lots of very large plastic pots..l hate plastic pots...so I'm growing veg etc in them. Plus growing tomatoes...who, isn't But it's not allgrowing tomatoes. I've planted sweet pea seeds in empty bog roll holders, ....just plant straight into the ground...easy easy. So l think that lot will keep me off the street corners!
But it's not all fun. My darling husband has Alzheimer's which is a bit challenging, he doesn't want to go out..except shopping. He had a really high powered job, and his own business which was hugely successful. Then he retired. Big mistake.A good brain needs to be kept busy...keep ticking over.
Now, I must tick over, make a cup of tea, have a yum-yum with my family, read a little, etc etc.
How are we all to get through the next....weeks.
Backs to the wall girls !!!
Keep writing, phone friends, lm also going to paint again....should be interesting. I'll probably paint a carrot.
Oh dear,,,they'll be sending that little white van with yellow wheels
Heaven Help me

Doorstop Tue 17-Mar-20 12:26:30

I’m here why why why
It’s such a long haul, if it were a matter of a week or two it would not seem so bad. On a downer today! Missing daughter, grand daughter and their crazy Spanish rescue dog!

whywhywhy Tue 17-Mar-20 12:14:26

I just hope we all manage to come through all of this. I battle depression on a daily basis and this is the last straw. It’s not all about me as I do feel sorry for those families who have already lost a love one due to this coronavirus. Sending love and hugs to everyone out there. Is there anyone out there, I don’t know as I haven’t been out today...................x

Fiachna50 Tue 17-Mar-20 12:09:32

Good luck everyone. I don't want to say much more than that. When I think of all the people who are ill or died from this illness, isolation or social distancing seems the least of my worries.

Riversidegirl Tue 17-Mar-20 11:07:09

We are refitting the kitchen ourselves. It will probably take a whole year!

Annofarabia Tue 17-Mar-20 10:57:11

You can go out for walks as long as you keep 6 feet away from others. You can also drive.

Persistentdonor Tue 17-Mar-20 09:09:21

I do think we need to find a balance here.
If we feel vulnerable then exposing ourselves to infection in groups or clubs should be considered carefully, but while we still have around 10 million children plus teachers at school daily, I can't imagine a round of open air golf with a couple of chums is going to hurt.
Avalon has given great advice too, re taking up a new hobby you have always fancied but never had time for, and writing up your memories would be a marvellous thing for the GC.

Meta Tue 17-Mar-20 08:50:57

I’ve mentioned these before but I am a fan of Leslie Sansone indoor walking exercise videos available free on YouTube from 5 mins to over an hour. Also Pahla Bowers does great over 50s ones also on YouTube - I’m currently working my way through ‘weight loss for women over 50’ from her a 20 minute a day series. She does chatter a lot but actually has a lot of interesting stuff to say and is great fun. There are also seated worked available online, and ballet based movement which is mother and daughter doing very basic ballet exercises if you fancy a change. Lots to choose from don’t lose heart!

Tweedle24 Tue 17-Mar-20 07:11:12

Billybob Bless you. I can only begin to imagine what you are going through.

Hawera1 Tue 17-Mar-20 01:35:08

Every night when I go.to.bed I.get stressed about boredom and having nothing to fill the.day. however.there is no.reason why we can't pack a picnic and head off into.the alps which we live near and have a picnic. Very isolated from.people but.so quiet and restful. I do say to.myself in.bed ok what will I do tomorrow. I plan to do one thing but I.can rest easy knowing I.have a plan.

grannyactivist Tue 17-Mar-20 01:17:25

I'm sorry for those of you who think you'll be climbing the walls during your enforced isolation and hope that your worst fears don't come to pass.

From the end of August until January I was pretty much in isolation due to illness. My husband was working away until mid-December (unfortunate timing!), only returning home at weekends to wash, clean, shop and cook - and wait on me. Apart from medical people I saw hardly anybody else during that time; my family called me often, we FaceTimed and WhatsApped, but they rarely visited for fear of passing on an infection (pretty much like now). At Christmas time I got up and dressed and my only permitted contribution to the family gathering was that I made the gravy.

Because I was so ill I welcomed the rest and when I was able to I occupied myself with various entertainments, but the time passed and I got well. Then, when I was hardly back on my feet and only just eased back into work, I was felled by two infections one after the other. I finished my last lot of antibiotics less than a week ago and went into immediate isolation - not social distancing, the full monty.

So having missed September, October, November, December, half of January and most of February and March, you can imagine how much I relish being isolated for yet another four months. But, I do want to live a whole lot longer yet, so I shall find me a task or two and be grateful that I'm well enough to keep occupied while I'm cooped up. grin

jenwren Tue 17-Mar-20 00:33:51

Flats or apartments for the 'over 55s' are the best things ever made for retirees. I agree it can look like you are imprisoned from the outside BUT there won't be any isolation here. The ladies and gents will still gather for their coffee morning, in the large communal lounge, quizzes, films, etc. No one is alone unless they choose to be. Lovely gardens to sit in if the weather gets warmer. There is never a dull moment here and far nicer than sitting lonely in a house with all your neighbours at work and no one to talk to. Oh yes and a good supply of hand gel

merlotgran Mon 16-Mar-20 23:36:04

Thanks for the link, Maw

MawB Mon 16-Mar-20 23:28:42

Apparently the Berlin Philharmonic has put their concerts on line free of charge during this crisis, if you are feeling the lack of good music. www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/news

Luckygirl Mon 16-Mar-20 22:52:15

Billybob4491 flowers - I have recently lost my OH too, but thankfully the funeral was able to go ahead. I can my imagine how you must be feeling.

Sheilab72 Mon 16-Mar-20 22:24:27

Did last food shop today before resigning myself to staying in. Will miss my granddaughter like crazy but with hubbie diabetic and with heart problems I daren’t risk her passing anything on via school. So glad we have a garden to potter in and attic and garage full of junk to clear out so
will find things to do. Like all other posts we have had to cancel holidays and visit to son and family in Denmark (Denmark has closed borders) thank heavens for FaceTime and these forums. We’ll get through it together. Keep well and sane everyone

LadyKathleen Mon 16-Mar-20 21:53:32

EVERYTHING is shut down in the state of Washington. All restaurants, theaters, hair salons, nail salons, fitness/gym places. We just canceled flying to Austin, Texas to celebrate our twin grandsons' 14th birthday. So sad. sad

Sawsage2 Mon 16-Mar-20 20:58:57

Less stressful if you don't listen to or watch the news.

Grammaretto Mon 16-Mar-20 20:47:14

Billybob4491 that is terribly sad.
I hope you have support from someone.

Noanana Mon 16-Mar-20 20:09:15

Billy Bob. My thoughts are with you. So sorry that you have to endure all this.