Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Gym refusing to allow freeze on membership due to fears of virus

(33 Posts)
Struggling2do1 Mon 16-Mar-20 19:22:26

My gym Nuffield Health has a policy of not allowing members to freeze their membership on the basis of Covid-19. In order to do so they require evidence via NHS 111 of the need. In my view hygiene at my gym from some members raised concern, e.g not cleaning equipment after use. My husband is 70 years of age and has Parkinson’s I am 68 and have hypertension.. we are both therefore high risk. I raised all of this with Managers at the gym but had a blank refusal from them. We have therefore given notice and will not return. This is clear evidence of trying to put profit before health and well-being. Well it backfired and they have lost two long standing gym members. Not impressed.

Nonnie Wed 18-Mar-20 12:55:57

All companies have a Duty of Care so a gym has a duty not to put vulnerable people in danger. NH can afford to be reasonable.

Nurseries have to provide what they are contracted to so, if the government says they have to close, they will not be able to charge for a service they can't provide.

The government is making arrangements, like no commercial rates being paid, to compensate businesses. Imo businesses should consider they reputations before refusing to cancel bookings which the government has advised against. It is short term thinking by companies which need a good reputation.

However, if you get a refund for a cancelled theatre booking perhaps you could consider gift aiding that money to the company you were planning to watch? Most of the arts struggle for survival so may easily go under as a result of this. Presumably if you could afford to buy the ticket you could afford to help them out in this way.

Nonnie Wed 18-Mar-20 13:00:59

One of our local independent gyms was very happy to let an older person freeze their membership. Reputation enhanced not damaged.

Txquiltz Wed 18-Mar-20 13:12:19

This situation isn't someone wanting to not pay during a vacation. We are told gyms are among the most difficult to clean. We are also being told by the govt. to avoid crowds. Getting notes to excuse you from a doctor currently, puts an undue burden on him. All of us are inconvienienced and will have to tolerate the inconvenience. The gym doesn't get a pass.

HappyGrandmother Wed 18-Mar-20 13:44:32

Doesn't surprise you can't suspend your gym membership but at least you can cancel. We've just had to cancel trips to visit family in the USA and a trip to a wedding Krakow. Goodness knows if we'll get our money back but I value my health more than the money they has already been spent - we just don't get anything for it!

tickingbird Wed 18-Mar-20 14:00:12

My son has messaged me to say his gym has closed. I can't understand other gyms staying open and probably not for much longer.

Boz Wed 18-Mar-20 14:15:57

I am still going to my local health club but only using swimming pool. Would hate to stop swimming as very beneficial to my well-being.

Struggling2do1 Wed 18-Mar-20 18:27:05

I clearly sound like I am rolling in it. Your suggestion CleoPanda made me laugh.

I have worked very hard for what I have and have no intention of making a monthly donation to a multi million pound business! Maybe I should look at bunging Virgin Atlantic a few quid, I hear that RB is looking for several billion.

Thank you lemongrove you are a truly supportive friend.

I am going to stop watching this thread now. I have high blood pressure & this is making it worse.

PS we do make monthly donations to Cancer Research, British Red Cross, Wiltshire Air Ambulance and our local Hospice. So I think we do our bit. Goodbye