Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Are you actually staying in?

(203 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Wed 18-Mar-20 10:15:44

Or are you still finding excuses to go out? Are the instructions clear enough?

maddyone Tue 24-Mar-20 12:27:17

Iam64
Referring back to your post yesterday, my daughter has told me today that NHS staff have been mugged for their NHS identity cards. She went to shop today during the key workers slot, with her NHS identification and her two year old son. As soon as the key worker slot ended, hoards of people raced into the shop and madly grabbed whatever they wanted. As she left she was afraid of being followed home by a mugger to get her identification tag. She says she’s sending her husband in future, he’s NHS too so can go in the key worker slot.
The greed and selfishness of people who are willing to mug NHS or other key workers for their identification, well it’s truly unbelievable. I thought I only had to worry about my daughter getting Coronavirus from her patients, now apparently I have to worry about her being mugged in front of her infant son aswell.

Lynnipinny Tue 24-Mar-20 11:00:52

Keep chatting on this sight it's company no matter what. I am finding shopping difficult. A lot of people are well stocked up because of panic buying. I am worrying about my young family constantly. Arguing with my husband about going out but if I don't try to get the basics he would be the first to moan. It's a very difficult time but it makes me realise how fortunate we are in normal circumstances.

M0nica Tue 24-Mar-20 08:18:21

We have a very popular footpath running along infront of our house. It was very busy over the weekend, all seemed to be household groups and there were not so many that they compromised the regulations., no danger of cross contamination.

However, yesterday and today (so far) it has been very quiet. The usual runners and dog walkers, but I think even their numbers are down.

I will be out for my daily walk soon. Yesterday's walk was round the village and I met, perhaps, half a dozen people and we were all keeping our distance. Today it will be up the hill and through the woods and it will be interesting to find out how many I see, usually none, but with everyone home and sports centres closed, I expect that more will be walking for exercise.

Hetty58 Mon 23-Mar-20 23:34:58

Callistemon, yes they really are! The way I see it is that people believe exactly what suits them. Then they invent 'reasons' for their beliefs.

They ignore any rational or scientific argument that they find inconvenient. Close your mind and you can believe anything!

arosebyanyothername Mon 23-Mar-20 23:27:37

Yes, since last Monday.
Now the children are off school I expect there will be more people out and about till they learn some sense!
We're using the Houseparty app to speak to our daughter & son, I like that we can all talk together in a group.

Callistemon Mon 23-Mar-20 23:18:31

I don't understand this at all.

DS is working from home which means working.

As well as looking after the DGD who have written out their own timetables for their work including breaks and sports lessons. DIL meantime, has gone to school to look after other people's children.

It's being treated as a holiday by some.
Are they really that stupid?

maddyone Mon 23-Mar-20 23:03:37

Iam64
One word, selfish!
Try to focus on your family, friends, and friends on Gransnet. There are too many selfish people in the world, but at this difficult time, focus on those who care about you if you possibly can.

Iam64 Mon 23-Mar-20 20:29:51

I've been doing my usual long morning dog walk and half hour at tea time. The other regular dog walkers have all been keeping the 2 metre distance. We all agree that dog walkers we've never seen before are flooding our usual quiet fields. They're bringing out of control dogs and children. A man and his son raced on mountain bikes down the lane leading to the fields, they came round the corner at speed, no concern for anyone. It's a traffic free lane but luckily my two dogs were on lead so I could dash out of the way as they'd no chance of stopping and would have hit us. Could have killed one of my dogs and hurt me. No shout of sorry, or thanks for moving - on they raced. Very strange and disconcerting.

maddyone Mon 23-Mar-20 17:48:44

whitewave
That was so funny, made me laugh, thank you.

Eloethan Mon 23-Mar-20 17:46:36

I take the dog for a walk and I bought two small loaves in our local bakery. Waited for customers to leave before going in.

Our son cooked a roast meal on Mother's Day and brought it to us. They ate theirs at their house.

Callistemon Mon 23-Mar-20 17:19:42

I've enjoyed seeing the neighbours' children playing out although I have noticed one or two being brought here by dads and I don't think they live in this road!

eazybee Mon 23-Mar-20 17:14:27

Yes, I have stayed in since last Wednesday.
Planned to go out into the country for a walk today, but after seeing the crowds yesterday decided not to add to them.
A dog-walking friend went out at 7.45 am earlier than usual to avoid people to her usual secluded spot, to find children, joggers, cyclists and the dedicated runners all out and well within reach of each other. As she has a husband awaiting an operation she went home and the dog had to make do with the garden.

FlexibleFriend Mon 23-Mar-20 17:13:03

My garden backs onto a park and that park has been full to bursting today, normally you hear a small dog barking as it meets another and the odd kid call out but today has been really noisy with lots of kids screaming and shouting at each other. I don't think parents have any intention of amusing their own kids.

Labaik Mon 23-Mar-20 17:02:44

I live in a cul de sac. My neighbours children never played out in the street until today and they're now riding bikes etc outside. It's freaking me out somewhat as DD phoned me last week and told me to keep well away from children. Warned my partner to watch out and be prepared to shout to them to keep their distance when he walks over later on. Most families on this street have underlying health conditions. I spoke to another neighbour who said as long as the children stay 6 feet away it's not a problem. Am I going crazy?? I used to hate miserable old people that twitched their curtains when children played outside but now I've become one of them.

mokryna Mon 23-Mar-20 16:36:14

For those who understand French, I don’t know if it is allowed
Please take is off if it isn’t.
Arnaud démanche restez chez vous
Makes it very clear in a funny way

mokryna Mon 23-Mar-20 16:27:12

In France all woods, forests, beaches and the sea are out of bounds, whether isolated or in centres. Yes, a police boat caught a swimmer in the sea moreover sailing is out. It makes me so angry, My (French) daughter among thousands is in the front line in the UK may fall with this ‘flu’ where Covidiots are saying ‘I must’. Nearly all the counties in Europe have put in tight restraints why do Covidiots think they are different, that they will not finish in hospital coughing the virus over those who have not got protection?

Dianalou Mon 23-Mar-20 16:26:15

My son set up a group video call on WhatsApp so the whole family could chat on It was Mothers Day.
Then we four couples who usually go to the pub on Sunday used it for a virtual drink, and that was good fun. It is very easy.
It is a lot better than nothing! It works for up to four callers.

Luckygirl Mon 23-Mar-20 16:01:20

Well that is exactly what I have been thinking. I usually shop online and will continue to - it is a very long time indeed since I have been in a supermarket.

I too thought those in the at risk category were not supposed to go out - let alone to a supermarket - and have been very puzzled by the time slot allocated to elderly or at risk to shop in supermarkets.

wicklowwinnie Mon 23-Mar-20 15:49:18

Though we are self isolating as we have been told to do, where does that leave the over 70s hour when a great many rush to the supermarket, and, as I understand it, gets jampacked with crowds!! We have been offered a lot of community help here and any shopping I need is left on the doorstep. Surely the crowded hour for the over 70s is dangerous?

growstuff Mon 23-Mar-20 15:16:03

I hope this link works:

twitter.com/i/status/1242105154083663875

It's shows in simple terms why none of us should take a risk.

Callistemon Mon 23-Mar-20 14:49:39

We had some post we had to send off so we drove to the post box, I wore gloves and posted it. I didn't actually need the gloves.

I didn't touch anything and no-one was around. We had a drive around and everywhere was very quiet.

Brunette10 Mon 23-Mar-20 13:41:22

Walking in and around our estate, not speaking to anyone as there hasn't been anyone to speak to. Went for our dedicated time-slot this morning at Sains. We MUST all adhere to the advice being given if not we are all responsible for what is happening.
angry

Parsley3 Mon 23-Mar-20 13:10:13

My family is not visiting, I am staying in and am lucky to have a garden so can get fresh air. I go for a long walk once or twice a week and again, I am lucky to be able to do this as I only pass a handful of likeminded people and we leave plenty of space. It’s all I can do.
If people still want to congregate, then so be it. I won’t go anywhere near them.

annodomini Mon 23-Mar-20 12:03:01

Moggie, are you taking the p***? I cannot believe that your post is serious. That is the exact attitude that will sent this country to perdition faster even than Italy. The hordes that were out en mass at the weekend must have said similar words to each other. 'Blow over' - yes, like a tornado and take all too many of us with it.
The sooner BJ gets round to declaring a state of emergency, the sooner people with that attitude will be compelled to take it all seriously.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 23-Mar-20 11:26:02

Yes in 24/7 apart from going into my garden, not taking any risks. Won’t be visiting library’s etc etc, self isolating both my DH and myself both high risk have our family getting us groceries etc that we need, taking this seriously, can’t believe ppl aren’t, would rather keep in than the alternative