Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Are you actually staying in?

(202 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Wed 18-Mar-20 10:15:44

Or are you still finding excuses to go out? Are the instructions clear enough?

MawB Wed 18-Mar-20 10:17:25

Yes to the thread title

No to your supplementary question

And yes to the third.

NanaandGrampy Wed 18-Mar-20 10:19:32

Yes we are with the exception of driving to the forest and walking the dog. We never see any one else there so feel that’s acceptable.

I think it’s all pretty clear.

Teetime Wed 18-Mar-20 10:31:41

Yes we are still going out in the car. Our golf club is open with certain restrictions like distancing, leaving the pin in, rakes have been removed from the bunkers and the clubhouse is open If people want to use it but that is expected to change. We haven't gone yet but probably will on Friday. We live near a park so we will walk there daily. The bowls club is all but closed but DH has elected not to go as I have always thought it was a great place to catch something.

Nannylovesshopping Wed 18-Mar-20 10:32:10

Yes, but like NanaandGrampy am driving my car to the very remote woods that I walk with the spaniel, I would fear for both her’s and my sanity if this becomes against the rules, but the woods are so remote, anyone wanting to admonish or fine me, would have to find me first ?

Urmstongran Wed 18-Mar-20 10:36:15

Yes.
However we are in Spain (lockdown) where police cars intermittently cruise the pretty deserted streets....

Oldwoman70 Wed 18-Mar-20 10:39:57

Yes. I think the recommendation is to only go out if it is essential, walking in areas where you are unlikely to meet anyone else is actually recommended.

moggie57 Wed 18-Mar-20 10:43:14

no i am not staying in....shopping today in penge. might call in on my cousin....this will all blow over ...all things pass...mountains out of mole hills comes to mind.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 18-Mar-20 10:49:03

Urmstongran - no lack of clarity there then.

Moggie57 - you don't have to answer but I wonder how old you are?

I also think going out into empty spaces by car to walk seems to be okay.

Pippadee Wed 18-Mar-20 10:49:05

Yes, staying in except for walking on the beach which is at the end of the street. Got a leaking shower tray so a plumber coming today which is a bit awkward as I am in the ‘at risk’ category as is DH. Will it be ok to just wipe everything down after he has left? Anyone else have unexpected visitors?

vegansrock Wed 18-Mar-20 11:13:10

Yes staying in. Had to get a neighbours' shopping today but just went to a very small local which was well stocked and no queues went in car. came straight back wore barrier gloves, hate and scarf around face. Washed hands on return. Moggie I disagree with you. The Italians took the same view at the start, now there are hundreds of people in intensive care and severe restrictions. The govt need to delay everyone falling ill at once. Its a very infectious disease- ok not everyone will get seriously ill but many will. Lets hope its not you or your cousin.

vegansrock Wed 18-Mar-20 11:13:42

hat not hate sorry

millymouge Wed 18-Mar-20 11:24:09

Walking dogs as usual over paths and fields. Folk that we meet occasionally always stand well away from each other to pass the time of day. Apart from that we stay in. I think we need to be sensible, fresh air and exercise is good for you, but we are cautious with people for their and our own safety. While I admire those who say there is nothing to worry about and all things pass, I and DH would like to be around in the end to see that they actually do. I think a little caution is worth it in the long run. Take care everyone, and if anyone is on their own and wants a little chat or a rant I am happy to listen or reply.

GracesGranMK3 Wed 18-Mar-20 11:26:52

I think you will have to do the 2 metre dance and keep your distance Pippadee and then clean everything down - pity you don't have a mask. Very difficult for you.

tanith Wed 18-Mar-20 11:27:35

I’m going for a long walk every day need fresh air and the excercise. I’m not talking to anyone if I happen to meet them.

Anniebach Wed 18-Mar-20 11:31:28

I am staying in, have been staying in for over 2 years

whywhywhy Wed 18-Mar-20 11:35:00

No I’m not staying in but I am not among people. Only going for a 2-3 mile walk per day to try and keep my sanity. I battle with depression on a daily basis and all of this is making me feel worse. Sending love and hugs to everyone.x

patriciageegee Wed 18-Mar-20 11:39:37

I was in the rebellion camp at first but now realise how essential it is to slow the spread and support and protect, as much as we can, our wonderful NHS from being overwhelmed.

Marydoll Wed 18-Mar-20 11:42:14

My GP grounded me, but I may stroll around the cul de sac on my own , as everyone is at work or out. Part of my programme to get my heart rate down.

Mary nae pals, that's me! wink

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Mar-20 11:45:03

Yes even though we are having a break away. Just walking the dog away from folk. But eating in and not visiting anywhere.

No we won’t be doing anything else except walk the dog and get exercise when we get home

The instructions are clear enough but quite honestly most of us could and did work it out for ourselves.

threexnanny Wed 18-Mar-20 11:46:37

A friend's father was seen walking out by neighbours who cautioned him to stay in. He jovially told them he was only in his 60's! How to look 15 years younger by lying?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 18-Mar-20 11:48:08

mary we are all the same?. DH out twice a day. He’s supposed to do moderately quick walking, but does tend to stroll as he is out twice a day for a minimum of an hour with the dog.

It seems the more exercise you do the better your resting heart rate becomes.

anna7 Wed 18-Mar-20 11:52:15

I am staying in apart from essential shopping and walking my sons dog. I will have to shop for my very elderly mother later in the week but I suppose I will have to leave her shopping outside. She sounded upset when I told her though. It is difficult to know what to do. My husband is still working and I will be very glad when he stops. He is doing some essential engineering work at a couple of local hospitals and he feels he can't let them down. He also has an elderly mum with alzheimer's who will not understand why she can't go out so I'm not sure how thats going to work. Hopefully her carers will continue to come.

eazybee Wed 18-Mar-20 11:53:05

Stayed in Monday and Tuesday, escaped this morning, back at desk now and have cancelled proposed Mother's day activities.

Luckygirl Wed 18-Mar-20 11:54:29

moggie57 - I hope very much that your molehill does not become a mountain.

I also hope that you do not create a mountain for someone else.

I don't wish to be rude, but could you not simply do as you are told? Is it so hard?

I am staying at home, but walking every day - I am not in a densely populated area. Today I will confine my walking to the garden as I have a sore throat (no cough, no temp) and it is flat.

I think the instructions are pretty clear - I have not had a problem understanding them.